Matt Gaetz: US shouldn't have a national soccer team if players won't stand for national anthem

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by smokarz, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    It also does not help that certain amount of mental health professionals are being arrested for nasty crimes and fraud. For example, a lot of honest outstanding future police officers (who are good enough for the FBI) cant get into local police departments because they make the mistake of being too honest and police Departments outsource Psych evaluations to contractor personal who got only got a degree in psychology and are instructed too disqualify anyone who tells mistakes they made when a teenager (to avoid future liability).

there are outstanding Mental health professionals out there who make a real difference but just like the police ranks, there are rotten apples in every sector of the public.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Nobody cares what Matt Gaetz thinks, except maybe Ted Cruz and Gym Jordan

3. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    All those words are in English, but I have no idea what you are trying to say

4. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    There was nothing funnier yesterday than Ted Cruz threatening people by asking them to wrestle Jim Jordan. Has to be the most pathetic display of beating someone else's chest I've ever seen.

Southern Man, jaykoz3 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  5. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #130 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, Jun 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    is it too hard to comprehend?

1) There are rotten apples in every sector

2) Police departments arent hiring the best future officers because the hiring process is being outsourced to companies such as Psych evaluations who only care about their contracts. Its why more dishonest individuals ( who lie) pass outsourced psych evaluations then honest individuals.

Basically, Police departments would do better to have their Internal Affairs unit handle the pysch interviews then outsourced companies who will drop you the moment you are honest about a mistake (so they are not held liable down the road and lose their contract).

Ive heard numerous cases of individuals getting hired for FBI, Homeland Security, etc. because they were super honest but had trouble for local police because their same honesty got them into issues with the outsourced average contactors (who are nowhere near the mental evaluation level of the FBI, etc.)

6. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Wow, really, dude?

Do you also think domestic abuse victims need training in manners?

Xenimus and orcrist repped this.
  7. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    https://theundefeated.com/features/...lect-its-slaveowner-author-francis-scott-key/

8. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you just trying to pick a fight?

Nonetheless, I’m glad you mention that because one of my favorite classes is on “victim responsible.” Does that mean that I teach them to mindlessly subjugate themselves? No. But I do teach people to understand the things inside their power and control, how to make healthy choices, take responsibility for their actions, and build healthy relationships. Persons who learn how to do that recover from being a victim. Persons who want to stay victims, stay victims.

9. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    This has got to be a ********ing joke.

You're against radicalism and want common solutions, but when people protest peacefully against police brutality you accuse them of being communists who want to destroy America.

Dude, do you even read your own posts?

Xenimus repped this.
  10. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Dude, you seriously need some work on self-awarenes.

11. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    It's like you are just making shit up.

orcrist repped this.
  12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Says You.

This is the response of an individual who has no idea of what goes on or is in denial.

13. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Yes, I'm trying to pick a fight. You are trying to deflect the blame for police brutality onto the black community. You are a racist. That seems worth fighting over.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God for the ignore button... I’ll debate someone I disagree with. I believe @DHC1 and @nobody have been extremely cordial, although we both feel emotional about the subject. But once it just breaks down into rudeness, insults, and petty name calling - I’m not going down that rabbit hole.

DHC1 and nobody repped this.
  15. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Here's your list and their focus area:

Police
    -I want to see better standards for performance of law enforcement.
    This is a key point - we need to weed out racists from the force and make it a completely inhospitable place for them to join. So we not only need standards but we need to crush racists on the force with the most stringent legal punishments possible.
    -I want to see the establishment of peer reviews in law enforcement.
    OK. Bad cops need to be fiercely punished so that it serves as a huge disincentive for racists to join. The blue wall of silence needs to be torn down when it comes to this type of illegal behavior.
    -I want to see better training resources offered to law enforcement.
    OK - there's enough funding dedicated to policing ($11 billion in NYC) so we can shift funds toward training and away from pensions, militarization, bureaucracy, etc. The training needs to be focused on using force as a last resort and that there is no tolerance for racism.
    -I want to see mental health resources available to law enforcement.
    OK - there's enough funding dedicated to policing ($11 billion in NYC) so we can shift funds toward mental health and away from pensions, militarization, bureaucracy, etc.
    -I want to see recruitment measures passed to reach Black Americans to join law enforcement.
    Sure. what % of the force needs to be Black?

Black Americans
    -I want to see an increase in mentorship programs for black children (and others).
    Great. we can redirect some of the funding dedicated to policing to do this.
    -I want to see Black fatherhood (and others) addressed and prioritized.
    This isn't specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and/or time-oriented
    -I want to see better community partnership between leaders in the black community (and others) and law enforcement.
    This isn't specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and/or time-oriented

Changing society

-I want to see Black Americans (and others) stop being taught to fear the police and to be taught better ways to engage law enforcement.
    This isn't specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and/or time-oriented. See below for more
    -I want to cease actions that vilify law enforcement, by discussing the positives of law enforcement in our community, by our leaders and the media. This is how we recruit and retain good officers - not by demonizing them.
    The reason law enforcement is being currently villified is because they have lost the respect of the very citizens they are required to serve and protect. The change has to start from within the police force and only after they've clearly addressed the fact that too large a portion of the fore has lost their respect for the very citizens they serve, then can they go on a PR campaign to regain the trust of the community.

It's interesting that you call this a emotional issue for me as I am a beneficiary of their biases (who generally treat upper middle class and above better than those of less means, unless you're black). Yet, it's obvious to me that something's wrong when we repeatedly see Floyd murders and then hear great Americans like NBA Hall of Famer and all around gentleman Mo Cheeks talk about how they were treated like a criminal, pulled out of their car, simply for being black. If it can happen to him, it's a systemic issue and we have to address it as a nation.

Calling BS and jaykoz3 repped this.
  16. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Think of it less as "defund" and more "reboot". Re-allocating funds away from militarization and more toward social services and building communities.

jaykoz3 and DHC1 repped this.
  17. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Sure, well maybe you could post some sort of source or study that backs up a single thing you said.

Short of that you could post a coherent paragraph.

18. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m for the demilitarization of the police and increase in social services and community engagement. I just want to make sure that law enforcement officers are not vilified in the process of that goal.

19. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    You know he is just gaslighting you.

20. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Not "vilified." Held responsible for their actions.

21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Our society will change by having most people move a little bit towards progress not in demanding that everyone go fully woke.

Calling @Eleven Bravo a racist doesn't lead towards progress as a nation.

jaykoz3 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    the reason they are "vilified" is because they aren't policing themselves and a meaningful element of the force abuses their power such that it's contrary to a decent society. That has to be the first step towards normalcy.

Calling BS and jaykoz3 repped this.
  23. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Sure, because the answer if to put police in charge of policing themselves. They have done such a good job of that:

https://www.kltv.com/video/2020/06/...s-accused-shoving-protester-leave-courthouse/

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/us/brevard-county-florida-police-union-misconduct-trnd/index.html

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I agree that the branding and wording are not productive. I also understand that for many people, their experience with the police is definitively not my experience -- that the police for many people in this country are not helpful and only represent a threat. So I understand where the anger is coming from, even if I don't think the wording helps get anything done.

Police officers should have better mental health support. I agree. Most people should, but soldiers and police officers and anyone that deals with violence or suffering should more than most.

The problem here is that they aren't responding with anything even close to kid gloves. There's literally hundreds of times on video where they are clearly escalating the situation, or firing without any warning, or killing people when the situation is not dangerous at all.

Acting like the death of Floyd, or John Crawford III, or that mentally disabled kill lying on the ground that they shot 40 times from 30 feet away were cops who were reasonably acting as if their life were in danger is crazy.

It's a risky job. Not nearly as risky as firefighters, or a number of other jobs. But police have created a culture where they escalate situations that don't need to be. And they have laxer rules of engagement than soldiers have.

There's something seriously wrong with that.

jaykoz3 and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  25. Southern Man

Southern Man Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Ignoring the racism of somebody who blames black people for police abusing them and defends the valor of confederate soldiers does not lead to progress as a nation.

These are not arguments that are offered in good faith or in the service of seeking solutions or common grounds.

Xenimus repped this.