Matt Gaetz: US shouldn't have a national soccer team if players won't stand for national anthem

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by smokarz, Jun 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    This is a sad day to see in soccer. Looks like, it too, has succumbed to politics pressure.

But this senator is right, if you're not proud of representing your country; you shouldn't wear the shirt.

So Rapinoe and people like her want the lime light, get paid, and play in the biggest tournament in the world; yet they hate the country they're representing? Why don't they just quit and not put on the shirt? Hypocrisy.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...eam-if-players-wont-stand-for-national-anthem

2. cyberthoth

cyberthoth Member+

Nashville SC
    Aug 7, 2000
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only speak for myself but I really don't care if they stand for the national anthem or not. This isn't the US military. If they want to make a political statement that's up to them. Individual members of the team obviously don't hate the country they're representing or they wouldn't play. The risk of injury and time is a pretty big incentive not to represent your national team. Also he's a Congressman. A far right conspiracy theory nut job like Gaetz would not be elected to the US Senate from a state like Florida.

schrutebuck, *rey*, bgix and 9 others repped this.
  3. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pride get's shown any number of ways. If you think America is bigger than what it currently shows itself as, that you stand for (metaphorically speaking) the America which is not racist, fascist, a nation not dominated by the 1%, that has elected officials with the balls and ovaries to see what's good for all Americans and goes about working together instead of playing it small; if you believe in an American bigger than the cowardice we see today, and you want to protest for that vision, than. f*ck yeah kneel. If we are really asking men and women to sacrifice, what kind of country are we asking them to sacrifice for? We aren't honoring a piece of cloth, but a vision of equality. We ain't their yet brother. I'd be proud of our USMNT to stand for something bigger than themselves. And I would honor that there are differences and that each man has to find his way to deeper truths than simple flag waving.

schrutebuck, bgix, jnielsen and 14 others repped this.
  4. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Is this country perfect? Hell no. Is this country great? Yes, I absolutely believe that; as millions of immigrants that want to come to this country every year.

This country gives everyone a chance to succeed and pursue their dreams, as long as you're willing to put in the efforts to educate yourself and work relentlessly to realize your dreams.

When you're asked to represent your country in the world stage, you have the CHOICE to declined; if you don't believe in the values of this country. And that's what's so great about this country, CHOICE.

These athletes that makes in millions in the NBA and NFL keep comparing themselves to slaves, I say F*CK EM. Slaves around the world do not have a CHOICE, you do. Slaves got beaten, abused, raped, tortured. Sadly, yes there are still slaves in the world today. If you don't like being a rich millionaire athlete, you have the CHOICE to quit.

A NAT team is not the same as the NFL, NBA, MLS, etc. I could careless if they stand, sit, or kneel during the National Anthem during these domestic games. But if you choose to respresent your country on an INternational platform, you should be proud of if and show your respect.

I guess I am guilty of loving this country, and the opportunities that it gave me and my family. I am guilty of being a hard working American that pay my taxes and contribute as much as I can to a civilized society and making this country great. I am guilty of being a law abiding American that is respectful of our police officers and men and women in uniforms.

The Lieutenant, ifsteve, Pegasus and 2 others repped this.
  5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It is on the women's side. It's a contracted job no different than playing for a club.

Gaetz is a piece of trash.

schrutebuck, *rey*, bgix and 6 others repped this.
  6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    You can decline the contract, if you do not like the employer/country that hires you.

And I could care less about Gaetz.

No one forces you to work for this country or play for this country, if you don't like it you CAN say NO. But if you accept a contract, then you better respect your employer and their rules and regulations. You knew what you signed up for.

7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    What a dumb argument.

I watch soccer because I like to watch soccer.

Anything pre- or post-game? Don't care. Do whatever you want. Kneel, sit, stand on your tippy toes. And fans can do what they want. Be angry, be happy, not watch, whatever. Still don't care. I'll watch the product on the field.

*rey*, bgix, IASocFan and 3 others repped this.
  8. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I'll agree that any player can go the Hegerberg route.

It's odd you would start a thread titled Matt Gaetz.... then not care about Matt Gaetz.

9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It’s actually possible to kneel while not hating your country. Some can’t seem to understand that.

our country has always been and continues to be about change.

schrutebuck, *rey*, bgix and 13 others repped this.
  10. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Please remember this is a political statement in uniform, something FIFA frowns upon and sometimes enforces. What happens when someone protests for Irish unification, Taiwan protestors or Catalan independence?

dlokteff and The Lieutenant repped this.
  11. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that you are a binary thinker: 100% or 0%. 1 or 0. All or nothing. This is inconsistent with the real world. The real world is analog, not binary. People can love their country and yet still protest pervasive social issues. That is, they can protest police violence and discrimination.

schrutebuck, *rey*, bgix and 7 others repped this.
  12. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

Because it's his statement. I agreed with the statement, not necessarily the person. You can dislike someone, but still agree with some of the things they say or do.

13. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT

I understand the wold is not black and white, there's a whole lot of gray in in this world we live in.

Yes, our country has always afford its the citizens the rights to peacefully assembly; police often times are deployed to protect protesters when done peacefully. Lots of people seem to forget about that.

I think you're missing the point, when you choose to play for your country; you should respect your country while you're performing your duties/jobs you've agreed to do. You can freely protest all you want for whatever social or political issues you so desire, OUTSIDE of your work attire and job duties.

When I see our NAT team play, and our flag raised and our national anthem plays, it gives me chills every time. And to see these people on the field, in our colors, wearing our shirts have zero respect for that, it is a disgrace to me. If you hate it so much, don't show up to represent us. You can show up outside the stadium, and in the stands and protest all you want.

Kagler24, ifsteve and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  14. UnitedBorn

UnitedBorn Member+

Dec 7, 2015
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The people kneel to help make America a Great Again.

15. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    While I don't care for the kneeling at the anthem protest, one of the great things about this country is that people are allowed to do that. People have fought and died for the right for people to do that. Not liking something about the country, and demostrating/ protesting to bring awareness to an issue does not equate to someone hating the country in my opinion.

Big Football, schrutebuck, bgix and 15 others repped this.
  16. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those who love their country the most will do something to fix what is wrong with it. The best way a USMNT player can respect his country is to put the ball in the back of the net, play tough defense, etc. See: Clint Dempsey

[​IMG]

17. yabo

yabo Member+

Jun 1, 2000
    Poolesville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buddy you are full of sh*t if you think you love this country anymore than everyone else, including those that take a knee.

18. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    protesting black men, women and children being murdered doesnt- in any way- equal hating america.

but you know that.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    UnitedBorn and russ repped this.
  20. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    I've never said such a thing, but obviously you're entitled to your opinion.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  21. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Exactly. Disrespecting your country and fellow Americans, is not the answer.

You're on roll. You're there to represent your country, play soccer, and win games. Leave the antics out of it. No one want to see, and no one ask to see it.

22. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    to you, rioting, looting businesses, burning down your own communities, attacking a police officers is a form of loving your country.

you're a making very dangerous statements there, i hope you have data to back that up.

eric_appleby and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  23. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    And I thought we should have the decency to show some respect those many men and women who have fallen to protect our rights.

There many ways to protest, burning our flag, desecrating and shunning our flag is not the way. Many dead Americans are wrapped in that very same flag.

Pegasus and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish there was a compromise where leagues/officials set aside a minute if they have been approached about a protest. Listening to wives who got a flag in place of their husband when they were killed in a battle makes it seem very insensitive to military members and their families.

25. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I've had this discussion with former military. While they, like me, don't like it, they also agree it's a right and a right they fought for.