Mathis: Where to next?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Deuteriumoxide, Oct 27, 2003.

1. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Seems that he drops too far back into midfield, like he doesn't trust that his team mates will get the ball up to him or something. Playing as a deep-lying striker is fine, but he's always too close to Ricardo Clark territory. At least lately.

2. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I was a big Mathis fan UNTIL his autograph selling..errr..signing session.

He's a tool.

3. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    What is this about ? I havent heard of this.

As long as Clint gets a new start I think he'll do fine.

4. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
  5. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Re: Would West Ham want Clint?

The Hammers are set up front. Besides DeFoe, they've got former Wimbledon striker David Connolly, who's been doing the deed since they signed him.

Mathis' has been playing out of position in some games, he's had injuries and had a tendency to jaw at the refs when calls didn't go his way. His behavior has gotten him sent off in a couple of matches. His frustration is as evident as the fans who keep waiting for him to light things up.

6. Carson Galaxy

Carson Galaxy Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Downey, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not crazy about these signing sessions and I'd rather get autographs the hard way, free (much easier with soccer players than baseball players). Clint Mathis has always been nice about signing photos, etc..... I'm sure after the signing session, he would sign for free as he gets to his car.

7. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you with one exception, please lets be serious, Magee, come on, he is a little boy that has no business in the professional ranks.

Getting back to Mathis, i see he has a chance if he changes teams, the guy needs a change of environment, i pray that some foreign team would take him.

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hows this,,,,RUIZ moves on to greener pastures, Clint to LA. the League compensates NY with an Allocation or something along that line.

9. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    A move to LA sounds like a realistic option. If a Euro team were interested in him, I think we would have heard by now. Something like that can't stay under wraps for a week, let alone half a year.

I have a what-will-be-will-be feeling about this subject.

10. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Isn't Clint going to be out of contract on Jan. 1st? You'd think that if MLS wanted to re-sign Clint, they'd have done it by now... like by this past off-season.

11. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt Clint will even talk to MLS until nothing in Europe to his liking opens up.

12. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    Next stop...

misl

13. Dfuntime

Dfuntime New Member

Apr 5, 2001
    California
    Mathis....Holland

Someone suggested that Mathis would do well in Holland? PLEASE...don't bring Dutch soccer down to that level. Perhaps in the Top Amateur division, but not the Eeredivisie or the Goude Cids (1st) Divisie.

He's an example of a kid who would have done well to go to Europe at age 17-18 so he can learn something about patience, tactical play, positional play, and train at a much higher level on a daily basis.

14. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Re: Mathis....Holland

Haha, I had a good laugh at that. Noob.

15. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Again, Mathis has had a bad string games. He did end up with 9 goals on the regular season.

Lets not forget that this was the guy who got us into the WC. It wasn't McBride or anybody else, Clint set the tone for that team, and good things happened after that.

There is a difference between objectively criticizing a player, and just spewing out putrid nonsense. I bet, if Clint scores a couple of goals in the next couple of playoff games, that most of the people on the boards will be back to salivating at Clint's every move.

I've always liked Clint. He can do things with the ball that I have never ever seen an American do with it. His vision is better then everyone elses. Sure he has never been this bad (he was still our best player right before WC qualifying and the strange Arena blowup), but he has been pretty firey recently (sadly hasn't resulted in goals), and the Clint that was good in the WC was good because he was so intense. We'll see, I wish him well wherever he goes, both for his sake, and for the US nats sake. If you guys think we'll get the breaks we did in this year's Cup again in 2006, you are mistaken.

16. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    he needs a change of scenery, new coach, new city, new everything...perhaps a place where he can channel his passion for the game in a positive way. Clint can still be a very important and effective member of team USA.

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Mathis....Holland

oh give me a break. Ajax is the only good team in the Eeredivisie. PSV plays worse soccer than DC united.

Mathis could play just about anywhere in the league, this doesn't necessarily mean he will get signed there.

18. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Would West Ham want Clint?

He would be good in the Paolo Di Canio creative withdrawn forward role ... But West Ham have their heads in their asses as far as looking towards the US for talent. Or so I have heard.

19. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as much as i'd like to see clint in Europe, I hope he stays in MLS and puts five in on the metros next season.

20. Redhammer

Redhammer New Member

Aug 10, 2003
    Brooklyn
    i can't remember if i saw it on the internet or in one of the soccer magazines i read rergularly. clint was recently linked to west brom but i haven't heard anything since. sounds like the perfect fit though. i'll look for the link or article...

21. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    I read a post on bigsoccer a while ago that said he has trouble combining with Guevara. Is that true? Is it a personality clash?

To suggest a couple of trades- How about Mathis for Eskandarian or Wolf? I would think DC or KC would make those trades.

22. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Problem is MLS doesnt have Clints rights after January 1.

However, the Metro will probably get an allocation for him that they could trade to DC for Esky and other considerations.

Mathis will have to resign with MLS before he ends up at DC United. (Or anyother MLS side)

23. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Re: Re: Mathis....Holland

Wow....credibility level: 0.

Onto the topic at hand. The problem with Mathis staying is he most likely will require the max salary and honestly he isn't worth that anymore. He will be able to earn more money in Europe. Where? Who knows, a guess would be Germany, their teams seem to be influenced by how players compete against their NT (see Hejduk and Leverkusen) and Mathis had an excellent game against them in the buildup to WC 2002.

People who think Mathis won't get European interest, I disagree. He is on a free, which is very important in this depressed marketplace. And somewhere within that head of his is the talent that saw him once be tracked by Bayern. Some European team will have the freedom to gamble on Mathis, but I don't see how MLS teams with the current salary structure can afford to take a chance on Mathis. Hell, the Fire had to basically give away Josh Wolff, I just don't see a logical MLS destination.

24. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Re: Re: Re: Mathis....Holland

Yeah, that Nate Jaqua's a spare.

25. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Some support for this statement please. Or are you just another parrot who thinks he knows what shape Clint is in.

This comes up over and over and over.

Bruce wouldn't have played him in the WC if he weren't in shape. Yes, BA said some things about fitness, probably to fire him up.

He has played the entire MLS season - do you think that Bradley just has a hard on for the guy and plays him even though he doesn't hustle, try, etc...2019 minutes and leading scorer on his team.

He's a pro-athlete who plays the most physically demanding sport there is. He's in shape. Like all other soccer players who play 90 minutes every week.