Mathis to Sunderland

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by beenasoccerfan, Jan 11, 2004.

1. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Mathis could be going to Sunderland instead

According to the Hannover 96 website, Mathis' agent gave him some incorrect information about when Hannover would be offering a contract so he accepted a trial with Sunderland.

2. Haig

Haig Member+

May 14, 2000
    METROSTARS
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't worry, your title isn't deliberately misleading.

3. g wiz

g wiz New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    NJ
    Does this mean Hannover is out of the picture?

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    No. I tmeans that he will train with Sunderland. If they offer him a good contract he will take it. if not he will return to Hannover 96 and work on a contract there.

5. Porkchop

Porkchop New Member

How on earth would you know this?

6. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Because I spend wayy to much time on BigSoccer.com? or I spoke to a person based in the UK who is well veresed on the trials and tribulations on Yanks abroad? You can decide which one you want to beleive. :)

7. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i decide not to believe either, especially you

8. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
  9. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    Have heard, and not sure why its not more well known, that Rangers have some kind of agreement with Sunderland in which anyone who trials with Rangers has to trial with Sunderland as well. Or something like that.

10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Strangest thing I ever heard in last 2 days.

11. Parkhead_Faithful

Parkhead_Faithful New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Glasgow,Scotland
    I can tell you quite honestly that is 100% official bollocks mate, the shite rangers take on trial would never do for sunderland ;)

12. Seedorf

Seedorf New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN USA
    That's the funniest thing I've read in a while. Damn funny post, Hoops fan!

13. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    The Fox Sports World Report also said that Mathis was going to Sunderland to try to impress former Republic of Ireland boss Mick McCarthy. Which would be a better situation for Clint? English D1 with Sunderland or German B1 with Hannover ?

14. aorig

aorig New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Sunderland, because he doesn't speak German.

15. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hannover, Lots of Germans speak English, probably better English than whatever they speak in North England..

I'm sure Steve Cherundolo has picked up enough German to translate for Clint anyhow.

16. blue_fox

blue_fox New Member

Dec 18, 2003
    UK
    I think he should join Sunderland as they have a good chance of promotion and I think Clint would benefit from playing in the English Premier League.

17. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint should play in the German 1st division. It's top flight football in a good league. It's definitely better than playing the English 2nd division (I know they call it D1 but it's still the 2nd division).

18. Eric-the-king

Eric-the-king New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Manchester - UK

Please dont whitewash "North" England with speaking in the same unintelligible accent as the North East (Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough)

Most of us are quite understandable :)

19. BrooklynGladiator

BrooklynGladiator New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    big up to Brooklyn

bundesliga definitly

20. ezio

ezio New Member

Mar 16, 1999
    New Jersey
  21. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    Nothing signed yet, but looks like he's getting closer to joining Hannover.

Mathis Snubs Sunderland

"PA"

Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy has been forced to return to the drawing board in his search for a new striker after target Clint Mathis turned his attention back to Germany.

The United States international headed for Wearside having already received an offer from Bundesliga outfit Hannover which, after spending two days training with the Black Cats, he decided to accept.

Mathis was keen to play in England, but cash-strapped Sunderland could not have hoped to meet the financial package with which he had already been presented, leaving McCarthy back at square one.

He continues to maintain an interest in Huddersfield’s highly-rated hitman Jon Stead, but last week decided not to pursue a deal with former Bristol Rovers and Reading frontman Jamie Cureton following a short trial.