Mathis to RSL???

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by tabramos10, Nov 17, 2004.

1. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Why does this sound so wierd? Making a generalization that a certain people often makes generalizations...

2. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he was recounting a phone conversation from the night before where he was told by Ellinger that Mathis was in. It didn't sound like he was speaking for himself (generally or not) but just repeating what he was told.

I'm not saying it's a done deal but there was more talk about it which I take as a positive sign.

3. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    At the expansion draft party, some of us overheard statements like "Mathis to RSL is a done deal." Who said it I'm not sure...

4. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I hope you're right, but do you remember if they said that before or after Andy Williams' quote? If it was after, maybe it's because they assumed Williams wouldn't say that if it weren't a done deal, although maybe he had.

I'm trying to figure this out, how could they let their new player say something like that if the deal had not gone down? If it is not complete, which obviously it isn't because they would've announced it, they shouldn't even let any sort of rumors get leaked because if it doesn't work out then they have to make some sort of statement as to why they didn't get him. Do you guys know what I'm getting at? I can't word it right.

5. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well the way even ESPN2 was talking about Mathis coming to Salt Lake, and Williams' comment, plus the fact that Pastorino was not taking the nuetral ground about it by saying what he said when asked directly by one of the people in the crowd today... I would be willing to bet it is a done deal and there is some contractual obligation to keep it under wraps until 1 January...

I mean come on... I have never heard so much confident talk about a "possible" deal in my life. No one is saying 'IF" the deal goes through... they just keep saying the things they are saying... very confidently, I might add... as if they know something but can't say anything now!

6. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah I don't remember when. Somebody asked Pastorino directly about it and he said that

- Hannover has made it clear they don't want Mathis
    - Mathis wants to come back to MLS
    - RSL will have the first shot at him
    - The European transfer window doesn't open until Jan 1.

Add it all up and it sounds like a Kreis strike partner to me. But you never know until the drunk striker sings, I guess.

7. sprintjeløy1926

sprintjeløy1926 New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Madwaukee

Get outta here. A beer tap in his basement?

That Mathis is crazy.

8. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    So few rumors...so much time...can't wait for something to happen. Season's too stinking far away.

9. studsup

studsup New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Garden State, born N
    Wasn't the deal that 96 would give him up, but you had to sign off an on agreement that he couldn't start untill after the 87th minute for his first year?

10. Jim Umber

Jim Umber New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Yeah, that's what I heard, too. We'll have to wait for January to know for sure, but that sure sound exciting to me.

11. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Or, throws up in one of his boots. But Utahns won't care one iota - if he scores lots of goals.

12. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Another idea: Let's hold a seance in the hope that this will lure Mathis to SLC. We'll need all the help we can muster; Chivas USA, er, Mexico, got a nine-man head start. I'd love to see Mathis destroy the Goats, and then grab his crotch in the direction of the ChivaGirls. Who knows? Could be the only action he'll see in his time in LA.... :D

13. blitzzfc

blitzzfc New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    If that's true, he'll be banned from Utah within a year. Well, maybe two, if he puts the ball in the net. :D

14. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I think it must be pretty certain that he's coming. Soccernet has an article about RSL and Chivas, and in it they say something like "with Williams behind Mathis and Kreis, they should score a lot of goals," and the way they wrote it it wasn't an IF Mathis goes to RSL, it was more like WHEN Mathis is on RSL next season.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Just because Rob Stone said it, and it's spread like wildfire doesn't mean it's true.

That is the only basis for all these reports...

I'd personally love to see a link to where anyone claims Mathis wants to come back to MLS.

He isn't coming back to MLS.

Feel free to bookmark this and call me out if I'm wrong, but I'm not nor will I be.

16. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, during the expansion draft is was Williams that said it. He said that he was told by Ellinger that he would be playing behind Mathis next season. Both Ellinger and Pastorino have indicated that this is a strong possibility.

Now whether it's really going to happen is anyone's guess but this isn't just a Rob Stone rumor.

17. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    This Salt Lake Tribune article quotes Pastorino saying Mathis want to come back to MLS, as I had recalled in an earlier post. Not saying this proves he's coming, but here ya go:

http://www.sltrib.com/realsaltlake/ci_2469280

"[Mathis] has made it clear that he would like to play in MLS," Pastorino said.

18. mckid

mckid New Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Logan, Utah
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that Landon has gone back to the Bundesliga I would think the Quakes would take Mathis.

19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I watched the draft on ESPNews and Williams said it would be nice to play with Mathis and Kreis only after they brought up the possibility to him during the interview. Wynalda and Stone mentioned that Mathis may be coming to SLC and only then did Williams say anything about it.

20. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Thanks for the clarification..

I do think Mathis' agent is in the 'brainstorming/buzz' stage...so you get as much "Clint has an offer" talk going to apply leverage (to the other offers/potential offer). So, his agent would like to get the "RSL has presented an offer" talk out there, Clint probably would take it if there was nothing else (which is unlikely...he should get both BL1 and BL2 offer(s) in Germany.

Guess its always possible Clint could be sick of Germany, but only after 1 year.?....and given the next 2-3 years is IT for Clint in Europe (getting contracts), and the superior money...well...blah, blah..

21. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    You actually think what Rob Stone says is the only basis for the reports? How about what Steve Pastorino says? "[Mathis] has made it clear that he would like to play in MLS." There's the quote you wanted to see where "anyone claims Mathis wants to come back to MLS." http://www.sltrib.com/realsaltlake/ci_2469280

So, we called you out because you're wrong, even though you "weren't nor will you be."

Thanks though.

22. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    I wondered about that too, but I think they give expansion teams first dibs though, since they're starting from scratch. Quakes still have most importantly Ching, and then Mullan and De Rosario. I think that's a little more notable set of forwards than Jason Kreis, Erick Scott, and Chris Brown, especially with Ching being one of the best American players overall these days. He will be their poster boy now. Kreis is not good enough any more to be RSL's big man. So if Mathis did come to MLS, as Pastorino says he wants too, I think RSL still gets first pick on such an allocation.
    I guess maybe Pastorino would be willing to trade Ching for Mathis straight up? I'd be fine with that, but Mathis is the man too so whatever.

23. Czar Pazzo

Czar Pazzo Member

Jul 25, 2003
    The Darjeeling Ltd
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Fidlerre did you not see my link to the article? Pastorino said it. I was hoping for a response on that, but you either didn't see it or don't want to admit it.

24. dysko

dysko New Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pastorino has said that RSL WILL have the first allocation. He also said that Mathis wants to be in the MLS next year. He followed that statment by saying that if Mathis becomes available, RSL will take him.

So if Mathis feels a need to join AA, I hear there are a few groups in Salt Lake and we also are getting an MLS team here as well. And if he doesn't like the beer, you can by the high point beer at a state liquor store. So, the alcohol and soccer aspects of his life are taken care of.

If Mathis is in the MLS next year he will be making Salt Lake his home.

P.S. Rob Stone is a moron... :eek:

25. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am sure Rob Stone prefers "misguided cheerleader".
    He isn't that bad, he means well!

I'd rather have Kreis/Mathis to DeRosario/Ching IMHO