Mathis to Real Salt Lake..?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by jri, Nov 19, 2004.

1. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    C'mon Bruce...that a oversimplication (at worst)..the 'incident' has played a big role in this...

Yes, Clint wasn't playing (much) better then Stendel, Wallner, etc at the time, but he wasn't playing worse either. The crotch grab has had everything to do with him being odd man out...

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Bruce, Mathis had an awful game after his crotch grab "celebration". Everyone agrees to that but there's been other reasons why he didn't get into a single game since then.

And, even if all of it was due to Mathis's personal conduct thereafter, there'd still be plenty of teams who will hold Lienen at least partially responsible for being unable and unwilling to mend fences with one of his players.

As to Mathis's play on the pitch, he should be able to prove that after the winter break during a tryout with someone. If he can't offer anything, he'll come back to MLS, but I doubt that he's gotten worse since the last winter when he had several options.

But that's just my opinion. We'll see what transpires in a few weeks.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

is it possible that you've missed the point again?

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change is what Mathis needs. He probably dug his own grave at Hannover but at the same time he's not fully to blame. If the coach had a problem with him it should of been addressed in private and not made public. It may have been addressed in private for all I know but it seems like it spilled over onto the field and bench which has led to be cancerous for club, Mathis, and the coach. I love Mathis style of play but until he realizes he sets his own destiny regarding his career he will continue to have problems. RSL may be a possible destination but I would like to see him catch on with a Coca-Cola league team or even in France or Holland. He can play and I hope that this situation doesn't linger too long in his mind. Move on and restart Clint, please.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bingo.
    Go on as much as we want about how he rode the bench here, but he also looked pretty dang good for a spell, slotted into a holding position that didn't suit him well and, until a moment of insanity, looked like he had a chance with Hannover.
    His goals were all class here, and while they weren't frequent, well taken goals are remembered. Bobic hasn't played very well for his two seasons at hertha, but still gets the benefit of the doubt because people remember what he is capable of. I think mathis will get another shot in germany, but it may be a goal off the bench guy, and he didn't show with hannover that he's excited about that role. maybe he would be with a different coach.

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lienen gave Clint the opportunity to show his wares after the incident. When he played poorly that sealed his fate in Lienen's eyes. I'm sure Hannover is trying to offload him and recoup some of their investment - but if Lienen thinks he's a cancer, they will let him leave for free if no offers come in worth their while.

Clint will not get another shot in Hannover. As for returning to MLS, it may be that he's not adjusting to life in Europe as easy as he thought he would or he just wants to come back to the US.

7. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

you say this as if it were fact... do you know something we don't or did i miss something?

just to clarify, i'm NOT being a smart ass (for once)

8. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

I doubt others (like me) have any factual evidence- since Lienen hasn't come out and said it... but...

1) Cilnt and Lienen don't see eye to eye on game tactics or attitude
    2) Clint was very average in the first few games of the season
    3) When Clint was relegated to the sub bench and came on to score "the goal" he could have been a hero. Instead he took the opportunity to "show up" the coach - who already wasn't a big fan.
    4) Clint started the next game and played poorly and was subbed out.
    5) At this point, Hannover was at the bottom of the Bundesliga
    6) Clint gets benched - often not even in the gameday roster
    7) While Clint is benched, Hannover has played incredibly well winning 7 and losing 1 - so obviously the team is playing well - and Clint hasn't played a minute in these games.

If you're not a favorite of the coach, you better be one of the best on the field. With the team winning... why would he go back.

Spectacular goals are nice for the fans.
    Plentiful goals, chemistry, and wins are more important to the team.

I want Clint to succeed... but don't see it happening at Hannover. I think Clint could have been used during the last 8 games, had he only apologized publicly (which he didn't) and tried to work with Lienen.

9. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It bothers me when the term "world class" is used so carelessly... if Clint is "world class" what, then, are players like Ronaldo, Zaviola, Henry, Tevez, Adriano, etc.???

When players are "world class" and they have problems, they still find a way to get on the field (unless they play for Real Madrid, Man U., or Arsenal)... Mathis' lack of playing time have as much to do with his poor form and less than exemplary fitness level as his stupid gesture towards his manager...

Clint played poorly against Panama and Ecuador when given an opportunity with the National Team... if he comes back to the U.S., i hope someone can reel him in and make him understand that his playing days are limited and that he must make the most out of the talent he has... he is a talented guy but not the "world class" player that everyone keeps trying to make him out to be...

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo!

Thanks for saying it for me.

11. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I would agree with that (good summary) except #2 is a bit light- since Clint really wasn't playing much/enough to judge (first few games).

You always gotta know the cards you are holding. Clint (terribly) misjudged his, but since he/Lienen probably were never a fit...this is not the worst thing in the world.

However, Clint needs to make the next Euro op stick, or it will be MLS or nothing..

And this is not a question of talent either...

12. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Lienen was being pretty clear that Mathis time at Hannover was at an end in the papers during the last month, but I haven't been in country for more than a few hours at a stretch in a month, so I'm out of touch.
    Still, I think he could land somewhere in germany. No idea if he will get a chance, but he did perform well enough to show he can play in the 1 Bund.

13. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    For what its worth, a Kicker article stated that Freiburg will have their checkbook open (again, we need to remember this Freiburg...'checkbook' means a different thing) during the Winter Break. So they'll likely be adding players...

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And he might be a decent fit there. Might not, but anyone struggling for goals might be willing to take a flier.

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

well yeah, but you should know from a fellow name of trabelsi that saying "never" doesn't necessarily make it so

stranger stuff has happened

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He won't have to change his name to Mathilakvelidze or Mathiashvili, would he?

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    LOL. Whatever can get you another starting spot in the BL Cleetus...

18. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What Mathis did bad in my opinion and why he isn't playing:
    -Not playing good besides the one game he was subbed in.
    -performing very poor in practice
    -Not trying to solve problems internal (the watch thing, the Bild article)

He'd still have a chance by just shutting up and play, but it looks like he isn't doing that...
    O well.

19. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    Given that Mathis was a head case for the Metrostars, was a head case for the Nats, and appears to be a head case for Hannover, why would Real Salt Lake want him?

Clint is the Mamadou Diallo of American strikers.

20. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just answered your own question -- Diallo scored 20+ goals one year in MLS! :cool:

21. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Arsenal should sign Clint and play him in midfield.

:)

22. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca

Per Kicker, Hertha Berlin is desperate for a striker and looking at some BL2 guy

Certainly, there will be teams adding guys (Freiburg, Herta Berlin, 1860 in BL2, etc.) at the winter break. I think Clint is interested in coming back to MLS too..but now is the 'brainstorming' phase in which one tries to gather as much interest as possible, and then see where the chips (offers) fall...

It woudn't surprised me if Clint wound up with an offer(s) from BL, BL2 and MLS. Last year, Casey had 4 or 5 offers upon leaving KSC...Will the better money override desire to be back in 'friendly' environs?

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't know that it's any easier to adapt to life in salt lake city. Berlin has a lot more in common with NY than SLC does, IMO. Still, hope he finds a good fit.

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    True, but at least his coach won't demand he speak German at SLC :)