Mathis is the man

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by GIO17, Aug 26, 2002.

1. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Some of us are praising him, but the ones that are trashing Clint I'm getting a little annoyed at. Obviously it's about him coming and going from Metro matches to the National Team. He won't say anything because he is too proud at the same time he is a professional. He has been globe hoping since coming off the ACL injury. Going from Europe to the western part of the states, to the Eastern part as well as playing for us and the World Cup.

And everyone will tell me that the footballers from Europe can do this no problem going on wednesday for their national team and saturday for their club team. Well Europe is in the same time zone so they won't tire. Unfortunatly North America isn't. Do we expect it, yes. But still we shouldn't be critisizing him. Sometimes jet lag can be a factor for them. As much as I can remember this is Clint's first time doing this. Traveling to these big time National Team friendly matches.

Lay off Clint. He is back 100% and now he can help us towards the goal of the MLS Cup.

2. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    How can you say that he is back at 100% when he has only played in ONE full match? That remains to be seen. Let's see how he does after a few more tough opponents and then tel me whether or not he has lost a step. Just bein' realistic.

3. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yeah, but jet lag didn't seem to be a problem for Donovan.

4. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    He played 2 minutes of that game. If I was his coach I wouldve told him to go home and rest. Who knows, maybe Mathis expressed the same enthusiasm and OZ told him to take a rest till the next game.

5. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    SOMETHING was a problem for him vs. Rapids last saturday. Gotta wonder what's lagging there.

A Mark Twaine once said, "I think he's been neglecting his vices."

6. beenasoccerfan

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston
    PUULLLEEZZZEEE!!! I'm really tired about hearing how Landon came back from the World Cup and played in a game. Like he was a big contributor at that game? Personally, I think it was a publicity stunt to show "us" that he is staying in the MLS and not going to Germany like the rumors were saying. I'd like to see how the "golden boy" of the Quakes handles it when he has his first devasting injury!!!

7. ToddP25

ToddP25 Member

Apr 19, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    I don't think there is a reason to blast Landon for coming back....I'm sure it was a 'publicity' stunt, but it was great for the fans to see him make it back.....I'm sure Clint would have done the same if we were on the west coast......Like Corazon said....maybe it was OZ that told him to forget about it and rest...

8. kenmad

kenmad New Member

Apr 10, 2002
    Sunnyside, NY
    Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Mathis was willing and able to play in his first game back from the World Cup? Unfortunately, due to an oversight by the illustrious Metrostars coaching staff, someone saw fit to leave him off the roster for that game. I believe it even caused an assistant coach to get fired.
    Just a personal note here: that's when Oz lost my vote.

9. Rose8675

Rose8675 New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    New Jersey
    I believe there was a Sat. match that Mathis missed (understandably as it was the very day they returned). Then there was a home match that Weds. which they left Mathis off the line-up for.

10. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Clint has done very little this year, and is far from his old form. The majority of his goals have been of the poacher variety. I honestly don't think that Clint adds anything to this team, or improves the dynamics of Metro when he is on the pitch. If we could deal him for a couple good players, then by all means we should do so.

11. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey

True but take into account World Cup, injuries.

So

Disagree, the offense always has an extra gear when he's on the field. Passing, shooting, free kicks, or just drawing attention, he adds something. If his coach puts him in his best position then that might help too.

Never, even if you are taking into account the on again, off again, etc, transfer to Europe, I would not want to see him in another MLS shirt. He is the best player in the MLS, including the overrated Donovan.

12. jmh30

jmh30 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's on the box of ESPN MLS Extratime 2002. Therefore he must be the best player in MLS. QED. :)

13. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    As much as I like Clint, I would still deal him straight-up for Donovan with no reservations.

14. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    almost funny, you've got it backwards ... he's the best player in the MLS, therefore he is on the box of MLS 2002.

15. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    yeah, I wouldn't.

16. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Metro record when Clint scores: 16-0-2. When Clint gets a point: 22-1-4.

17. UncleLTrain

UncleLTrain Member

May 19, 2002
    Nuff said

18. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    damn...:eek:

Question for Super stat boy, what's the same records when Gio was on the team, just for comparison sakes.

BTW, when does GIO17 change to MATHIS13??? :)

19. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
    Sorry to dissapoint you, but Super stat boy got these numbers from the Metros press release.

20. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Super Stat boy sucks d balls