Mathis and Clark

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by GAranger654, Sep 26, 2003.

1. GAranger654

GAranger654 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 24, 2003
    GA
    be glad you have these two...

2. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    We are.

Also, we're glad we won the civil war.

Is Evander Holyfield the mayor of Atlanta yet? That would be nice.

3. tkgunn

tkgunn Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NJ
    no way should mathis win this poll, this isn't 2000

4. GAranger654

Sep 24, 2003
    GA
    be glad...

<to jamison>
    be glad that you outnumbered us 6 to 1...be glad that we still killed twice as many as yall killed us! damn yankees! us georgia boys have to save yall's neck!

5. Re: be glad...

The attacking unit will almost always suffer more casualties than a unit defending a position and, not surprisingly, a 6-1 advantage is usually the threshold requirement for a successful assault on a defensive position. Wolyniec is not a Georgia boy and he was the last one to save our all's neck.

6. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: be glad...

I took Southern in 10th grade and I do believe the the plural of Y'all is All-y'all.

7. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: Re: be glad...

I'm not big on grammer but, is not "all-y'all" redundant? If the word y'all means "you all" then all-y'all would mean "all you all", yes? If any of youse could answer this I'd appreciate it.

8. 3rdSt.Jim

3rdSt.Jim New Member

May 16, 2001
    Higley, AZ
    "All y'all" is a local, regional variant of the Southern dialect use of "y'all". This is normally used when referring to a group too large to be included in the simpler term "y'all". Use of "all y'all" occurs primarily in eastern Texas, Arkansas and the deeper parts of Alabama with an occasional occurrence in Georgia, Louisiana and norther Florida. So there...

9. 3rdSt.Jim

3rdSt.Jim New Member

May 16, 2001
    Higley, AZ
    And anyone who doesn't vote for Pope here obviously hasn't been watching many games this season. And where's Jolley in this?

10. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Actually, "all y'all" comes from a children's game which is kind of a team hide and seek game. I'm too old to remember the details, but at some point in the game, you yell "all y'all in come free"

11. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    I guess Edgar barely beat out Jolley for the last spot.

12. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Thanks ye guys for clearing that up.

13. GAranger654

Sep 24, 2003
    GA
    i was just kidding about the southern boys having to "save" YALL!!! haha in the south it's considered ok to be gramitically incorrect. haven't yall seen deliverance :)

14. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    I knew someone from Western Pennsylvania who said "y'ins" instead of "y'all". He also used the term "gum bands" instead of rubber bands and "pop" instead of soda. Since he was a hick, we generally ignored what he had to say except to ridicule his speech.

15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't worry. In the north, it's okay to be a smartass. Haven't you seen, well basically anything about New York :)