MatchDayLive-related : Microsoft moving away from Silverlight

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by LordRobin, Oct 31, 2010.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm posting this because I know a lot of people grumbled about how the MatchDayLive player (and some videos on MLSSoccer.com) were implemented in Silverlight instead of Flash. People didn't like having to install another media playback software on their computer, and some complained that it didn't work very well for them.

For those people, this article may be good news.
    On the face, little has changed. Microsoft will still be supporting Silverlight, and still plans to release a new version. But it's clear that it's no longer the golden boy of their web strategy. This is important, because I believe one of the major, perhaps only, reasons that Silverlight saw professional application like MDL and the '08 Olympics is that Microsoft was pushing it. That push is going to go away.

Clearly, MLS has some major web cleanup to do in the off-season, and while most of it will be targeted toward the utter fustercluck that is MLSSoccer.com, a redesign of MatchDayLive wouldn't be out of the question either. Hopefully they'll find little incentive to stick with Silverlight and will consider moving to HTML5, or at least back to Flash.

------RM

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A little love for the international fans wouldn't hurt either.

3. fillmont

fillmont Member

May 20, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Linux user, I've never been able to get Silverlight (actually Novell's Moonlight, the open source equivalent) to work correctly, so I'd be more than happy with MLS dropping Silverlight for Flash or something else.

4. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    They'll be dropping it for HTML5 more than likely, the browser agnostic successor/replacement for Flash. Basically what HTML5 means for you is that you would never have to update or download Flash for web videos, it is a standard that comes with your browser.

5. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    HTML5 is the future bromango.

6. fillmont

fillmont Member

May 20, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That will be a happy day then! Thanks for the info.

7. DonPogi

DonPogi Member

Jun 1, 2009
    I don't know
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why does the TFC.ca videos work on Linux (and not mlssoccer.com)? I thought they are also using neulion?

8. Indiscretion

Indiscretion Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would much rather use Silverlight than Flash

9. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC