Matchday Thread | GROUP G

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Who Will Advance.

1. Germany

92.6%
  2. Portugal

23.5%
  3. Ghana

14.8%
  4. USA

63.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you can't say that wit certainty not at all that's just you putting down G

2. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    G was good on paper.

It didn't turn out that way. IF the USA was not in the group it likely would not have been called that. Unless England was in it of course.

3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    i apologize if this is trollish, but my knowledge is very skimpy. i've seen MB play like three times in the past few years and each time the words absolute crap don't even begin to express his play. is he ever any good? he seemed like such an imposter today i have a hard time imagining it. when his dad was coach i kind of understood, but can't klinsi see he's just using up air other players, or even just people in the stands, could be breathing? it's like you could look up useless in the world book and the article would be illustrated with his big shiny head.

4. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius

You're about to get flamed hard.

guignol repped this.
  5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    money
    greedy fvker

6. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Before the game, German TV had an analysis of the US and they had Bradley identified as the key man who needs to be shut down.

7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2807 RevsLiverpool, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2014
    Best possible scenario for the US (in my humble opinion).
    Mexico plays the game of their life and knocks out the Dutch. Granted, we'll never hear the end of it forever, but hey it would be a monumental victory for FMF in a real tournament, no denying that.

Round of 16
    Costa Rica beats Greece...doable. Cinderella's slipper still fits.
    Argentina beats Switzerland - or preferably, the Swiss upset Argentina (gets rid of our side of the bracket's goliath ...doubt it would happen but hey Iran nearly held them scoreless...)

The US does it's job and beats Belgium or whoever wins Group H.

Round of 8 (our side of the bracket)
    Costa Rica vs Mexico
    US vs Argentina
    In this round, we see Mexico's win over the Dutch and raise them an American win over Messi's Argentina.

Semi Finals
    Mexico then beats Costa Rica (or vice versa), the US beats Argentina, we meet Mexico/CR in the Semi. F*cking. Finals. Holy shit.

The US then beats our Mexican friends (why not dos a cero? seems to do the trick when it counts! ;)

Finals
    We then meet Brazil/Germany/somebody in the World Cup Final. Brazil caves under the pressure or we get another shot at the Germans and solve them this time - and we win the damn World Cup.

Ok now read this, VERY IMPORTANT STATEMENT:
    I AM Not saying it will happen - but to quote Dumb and Dumber ..."so you're telling me there's a chance!!!"

[insert your I-take-this-too-literally "put down the pipe, what are you smoking," type replies here]

8. Oster

Oster Member

Mar 13, 2007
    SC, USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like Belgium it is for the US

9. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The group is over and done. When you have a group this close it often comes down to who is in form and who is not, add some luck and you get your teams. Portugal lost it in the first game, Ghana went through some distractions and the U.S showed their strength. I think the USMT is continuing to earn respect and with their youth they should continue to be a force.

Life goes on for Ghana and Portugal, it's a matter of if they can use this to learn or if they will repeat their mistakes.

Anyway congrats to the U.S.A, I admire the way your boys come together as a unit.

I leave Germany out because we all knew they were coming in first.

deuce dempsey fan and papermache16 repped this.
  10. ThePhantomCreep

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Read: I must diminish group G because the US advanced.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  11. FiveXChampion

FiveXChampion Member

Sep 23, 2000
    California
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2811 FiveXChampion, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    I am very surprised with the interest in football by so many Americans. I think it is a generational thing, but many Americans are becoming huge fans. I watched today's game in a theater full of people and while many there are immigrants or naturalized Americans, many are Americans by birth. I know the interest has been growing for many years, but this huge interest is something that I have never witnessed in my 20 years living in the US. Did anyone notice this too?

[​IMG]

Brasitusa, LoewenBoy and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  12. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Read : I must pump up group G because the USA was in it.

Was Mexico's group easier?

13. ThePhantomCreep

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    The group with cream puff Camaroon? Is this a serious question?

14. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    Huge public viewings in my city. Several of them. Just like in Europe. Nice to see.

FiveXChampion repped this.
  15. Oster

Oster Member

Mar 13, 2007
    SC, USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not quite the way it reads to me. Every post I have seen from you in this thread you have tried disparage the achievement of the US team at every chance. Even quoting posts in your silly "wall of shame" threads. The fact of the matter is any group with two top five teams in the world is no cake walk - even if their form is off. Every point was hard fought for every team in this group - much more so than Mexico's group. Feel free to quote that in the Mexico section also if you want.

16. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    DUDE, NO EFFING RESULTS FROM GAMES IN PROGRESS, WTF!!!! HOW ABOUT A SPOILER ALERT AT LEAST.

17. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    You are in a match day thread. You know that, right? What do you think we've been discussing? ;)

RevsLiverpool and Ties5o11 repped this.
  18. nimma

nimma Moderator

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am getting tired of this. Cut your shit out or take it to PM's.

Moishe repped this.
  19. Oster

Oster Member

Mar 13, 2007
    SC, USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That post wasn't in regards to any score, just my assumption of how the matches stack up - I'm not even watching the game.

EDIT seeing how you made that mistake - my appologies but it's a terrible idea to even come to a football site if you don't want to chance spoilers.

20. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ESPN saying their most watch Sporting event ever. USA Germany.

Germany v Russia?
    Not much history on the net about them two. Well, except for that squabble a few years back :)

How does Russia stack up? I know nothing much about them. Have a few days to read a bit though.

21. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Algeria went through. Russia is out.

22. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Just saw. When I left TV. They were still saying Russia....
    No worries, we will beat Algeria too.

23. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They say history repeats itself Remember the Algeria 2-1 West Germany (1982) world cup game

starbuk repped this.
  24. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Portugals tournament was done the second Bento refused to make obvious changes to the starting 11 vs usa (William carvalho etc)

Though fate was sealed when Pepe got that red abd Coentrao pulled his groin..with those 2 Portugal never ties the usa and are through right now.

Bento made a lot of poor decisions though in the aftermath of that german game..needs to take some blame

25. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    I thought their tourney was done after Germany IMO. They just pulled a France.