Matchday Thread | GROUP G

Discussion in 'Group G: Germany, Ghana, USA, Portugal' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Who Will Advance.

1. Germany

92.6%
  2. Portugal

23.5%
  3. Ghana

14.8%
  4. USA

63.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude your logic is simply illogical. I can make the exact same point about the US the other direction. The US was one goal from tying Germany (two great chances in the last several minutes). The US was one goal short of beating Portugal. Yes very thin margins all around for the entire group. Ghana was one goal from beating Germany. Wouldn't that have made today even more nerve wracking. This is what the World Cup is all about. Germany and the US deserved to advance based upon the results of the games. Ghana and Portugal did not. Its human nature to what if scenario things to death. But these are the facts. Under the structure of group play, at the end of the day, Germany and the US deserved to advance.

2. ThePhantomCreep

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Can't justify his irrational butthurt comments, so he changes the topic. Wonderful.

3. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I'm pretty happy that Mexico and Costa Rica have also advanced. It's very good for CONCACAF. It is disgusting to see some fans of other CONCACAF countries saying otherwise. In this, we - supposedly so clueless, horrible, and arrogant American fans - are showing a lot of class, which can't be said of those who are throwing mud our way. This said, of course if we get to face them, I'll root for us and against them, but if we don't, I'm rooting for them since it benefits our whole confederation. We are finally earning some respect with three solid teams that were shown to be real threats to many supposedly superior teams, and is this the moment to be throwing insults at each other? No. Go USA, go Mexico, and go Costa Rica!

Midas Mulligan and marcust repped this.
  4. nimma

nimma Moderator

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  5. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the old saying rings true, "luck is when skill meets opportunity." The US defense fell asleep just twice against Portugal and that's all it took to give up a draw. Call it stupid, but it's really just a good enough team being opportunistic. Even Nani can't miss from there! ;)

LoewenBoy repped this.
  6. futbol in Miami

Colombia
    Sep 11, 2011
    Miami
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if theres anything germany did, was attack and put lots of bodies forward. since US did not bother to pressure them much.

7. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Please tell me, how is your team's World Cup celebration going? Oops, you don't have any? Yeah, I thought so. Your goalie was crying, poor thing. I guess he didn't have much to celebrate, did he? You know what? I'll take our situation over yours, any day.

8. LoewenBoy

LoewenBoy Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    Giesing, Muenchen
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Sint Maarten
    So how many Costa Rican or Mexican fans do,you think are cheering for the the USA? And you want the US fans to be magnanimous and cheer for them?

9. Klose_fan

Klose_fan Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Florida, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    One more chance than your team has :)

10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Still, we got some three or four very good scoring opportunities. I think we played well, given the circumstances.

On a different note, LOL, I wonder what the "Fire Klinsmann" thread is looking like now (I'll be curious to visit), and I confess that I am one of those who second-guessed him when he decided to leave Donovan behind. Regardless of what happens in the R16 game, JK will be keeping his contract until 2018, no doubt.

11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want Mexico and Costa Rica to win, so we can have the pleasure of knocking them out. :)

Brasitusa repped this.
  12. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Hey, I LOVE watching Portugal. Of course, if player skills were the requirement for World Cup, Portugal would still be in - and the US would be out. BUT, that's not the rules ... and you can't blame the US for the rules.

We're still learning and I can't wait for the day when our all of our players are as good as the top soccer countries. Hell yeah, we're damn lucky .... but GO USA!!!

13. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #2788 Brasitusa, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Probably not many. I can only speak for myself. I'm glad that they have advanced and proud of CONCACAF. I'm not very fond of them; they are rivals, but I'm mature enough to put this aside and feel good about our confederation.

I think after this World Cup, the usual argument that we are a Mickey Mouse confederation is no longer sustainable or reasonable. See Costa Rica against Uruguay and Italy; Mexico against Brazil, us against Portugal (and even Germany - we did manage some scoring chances against them and defended well), and it can't be denied that CONCACAF is no longer as weak as Europeans and South Americans like to consider. We as a confederation faced traditional European and South American powerhouses and not only did well, but appeared threatening, and actually ended up prevailing over them. If we're a Mickey Mouse confederation, than Mickey got a big bite.

Are we as good as a confederation as CONMEBOL and UEFA? No. But we are no longer a joke, that's for sure.

HeartandSoul and marcust repped this.
  14. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I just realized we are all on the same side of the bracket, with a possible CR-MEX qf match. That would be awesome.

15. ThePhantomCreep

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    My Mexican-American neighbors (that's right, US born and raised) were openly cheering when Muller scored. An extra slot for CONCACAF would be nice, but I ain't cheering for Mexico.

LoewenBoy repped this.
  16. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    Who cares? Seriously. They can cheer for whoever they want. Maybe they started watching the MX league? Maybe they liked a club or a certain player?

Why does this have to get brought up all time? How about the "Sombrero" chant and the "mow my lawn" chant.

17. Waliatiger

Waliatiger Member+

Jul 1, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Where are the "fire klinsman" folks? Where are the LD lovers??? Guess it finally took a European coach a true profession not a dumb American coach to make the tough decisions for the best of the team. Is Lexi lalas and American LD lovers bowing down to the brains behind usmnt resurgence they better.

Didn't think the US would get out of their GOD but they did. Its amazing with not one globally relevant player a team with a bunch of glorified scrubs (expect Bradley, Howard) who are and still a fourth rate NT can punch such above their weight. All kudos to the US great fitness, conditioning, team unity and great coaching. They are not talented but a squad of 23 hard workers who work as a great unit can achieve results.

mistert06 repped this.
  18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    That's widely regarded as a black stain in the history of Europe.

19. nimma

nimma Moderator

Jun 5, 2006
    India
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This isn't the USA-MEXICO Rivalry thread. I don't care who started it. You want to do this go do it in the Rivalries forum. Any posts related to this will from now on be deleted.

Klose_fan repped this.
  20. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    But on Group G. Still not convinced it was the G.O.D. I was sorta thinking that group B was.

This group had Germany, and um, Portugal that fell apart in 20 minutes. Okay.

GrandeSoccer repped this.
  21. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    #2796 Tukafo, Jun 26, 2014
    Three or four good scoring opportunities?
    Saves by Manuel Neuer - zero
    Shots on targets for the USA - zero

Another funny stat - Manuel Neuer had more successful passes in open play than 6 of the US players

22. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    That one at the end was okay. Still not technically "on target"

23. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who did B have Spain who fell apart right at the start and Australia who was bad. Chile and Holland were clearly above the rest only other group as tough as G was D

24. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius
    A Spain that fell apart is better than an imploded Portugal.
    Netherlands? > Ghana?
    Chile?
    Australia would probably have done decently in group G

25. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #2800 Brasitusa, Jun 26, 2014
    Yes, two headers that flew very close to the post at the end of the match (one of them hitting various players and going wide by a hair), and that triangulation that beat the goalie and was blocked by two defensemen. In first half there was one shot that also flew very close to the goal, over the crossbar. So, four. I stand behind what I said. No, I didn't say they were accurate shots, and I didn't say they were on target. I said they were scoring opportunities (which obviously didn't get converted into scores otherwise they wouldn't be just opportunities) and it can't be denied that they were. At the very least we didn't park the bus ALL THE TIME because we did come out to try to score and got dangerous opportunities at least those four times. Also, the ref wrongly stopped that late Beasley run when he had passed the last man already and didn't foul him but was called for a made-up foul. I hesitate in making it five, because who knows if Beasley would have controlled the ball well enough to become a threat, but in terms of just calling it an opportunity, it was a fifth one.