Matchday Thread | GROUP E

Discussion in 'Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras, France' started by JohnnyFutbol, Mar 28, 2014.

?

Who Will Advance.

1. Switzerland

54.9%
  2. Ecuador

36.6%
  3. France

85.4%
  4. Honduras

13.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. Toosucio4u

Toosucio4u Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    First game is crucial for Ecuador if they want to pass to the next round.

3. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How strong is Switzerland defending on the wings?? because Ecuador have in Valencia and Montero arguably the best pair of wingers in Conmebol

4. Toosucio4u

Toosucio4u Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    We will penetrate the wings for sure but the question is who is going to score? Nobody has replaced Benitez yet. Hopefully Enner Valencia steps it up like he has been doing in Mexico but then again he's a natural winger too

5. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No doubt that Benitez was the element that finished all the opportunities that where created through the wings and Is a shame and really sad that you guys have to look for a replacement.
    But if Switzerland is not strong defending the wings, either Montero or Valencia can cut inside and create havoc; however if is the other way around and Switzerland manage to defend well the wings you guys are going to have a hard time.

A game isn't decided in just one part of the field, but I know you guys are going to attack those wings and Im pretty sure Lichtsteiner is a big important element for them and he loves to attack through his wing.

It would be good if somebody from Switzerland or somebody who seem them very often would tell us how they play. Because personally I haven't seen them and whats their strengths and weaknesses

6. rafalthepol

rafalthepol New Member

May 12, 2014
    France tops group with 7 points
    Switzerland with 5 points goes through on goal diference

7. Toosucio4u

Toosucio4u Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    France barely made the world cup (another offside goal) No one has faith in them

8. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

This is the worst World Cup group I can remember. Even weaker than that Group D in 2006 which at least had Portugal. None of these teams would likely advance in any of the other groups. Switzerland is probably the weakest seeded team in a generation.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  9. rafalthepol

rafalthepol New Member

May 12, 2014
    French players train and play there game throughout europe and perform well...foor ecuador and honduras they play in there small leagues with poor training.... This france squad is better equiped and motivated than others

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    No its not.. this is the worst French squad in any big tournament probably ever, and especially in the post-Zidane era.

Aside Ribery I don't see a player that I'm scared of. Pogba is very young and lacks maturity as well as experience, while players like Evra and Sagna suck and well past their good days. We all seen France in South Africa.. I kind of expect the same to happen this time around, except they won't look as retarded.

No clear cut favorites in this group, it'll be wide open.

11. rafalthepol

rafalthepol New Member

May 12, 2014
    Franck Ribéry Karim Benzema Antoine Griezmann Samir Nasri Dimitri Payet hugo lloris
    jeremy menez mathieu valbuena yohan cabaye

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    lol @ that entire list.

Aside Ribery, I'm not afraid of anyone.. we all know Benzema is a player who relies HEAVILY on good service. This French squad literally dragged itself to the World Cup. If Zidane came back I'd be somewhat scared.

Nasri isn't going to the World Cup, Griezemann is inexperienced at this level seeing as he's been banned from the NT since last year, Payet sucks and is having the worse season in his life, Valbuena is just a hard worker who was also experiencing a inconsistency in form for OM a side thats finishing 5th possibly next week (LOL), Lloris has had some huge blunders under the lights for both club and country and to say the least, luls worthy they were, Menez doesn't even play for PSG, I think he's seen the field about 15 times all together this season for my beloved PSG and thats me being nice he's not going to Brazil anyways, anndd finally Cabaye.. terrible start to his PSG season, was better off staying at Newcastle, hasn't been any help since his transfer this winter.

Next.

13. Toosucio4u

Toosucio4u Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    100% agree. If France has a shot at passing this round is because the weakness of the group. I don't see France going far in this World Cup.

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Same, its a side that will have to mature quickly as the tournament progresses, and tbh I don't think this is the tourney for that. Compared to France, the other three teams, Honduras, Ecuador, y Switzerland have vast experience with many players returning to their second World Cup and coaches with success at the International level, unlike Didier Deschamps whose claim to glory as a coach is leading Juve out of Serie B into Serie A. Look at Luis Fernando Suarez and he led a similar Ecuador side out of the group stages in 06, and made it to the Quarters of the Olympics with this Honduran side which eliminated Spain. Also Reinaldo Rueda isn't a slouch either, he managed this Honduras side into the World Cup in 2010 for the 2nd time in 28 years as well as his assistants managing the Olympic team whom noone expected to make Beijing 06 and did with a pretty terrible squad. Both coaches have track records here in these type of tournaments.

Ya con la habladera, toy listo para ser historia en Brasil. Ambos tecnicos Colombianos van a ensenar al mundo k el futbol si respira en nuestro paises humildes.

lav92, elviejomen and Toosucio4u repped this.
  15. Toosucio4u

Toosucio4u Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Won't be surprised if Honduras / Ecuador end up passing in that group against all odds of those called "experts"

Catracho_Azul repped this.
  16. JohnnyFutbol

JohnnyFutbol Member+

Nov 5, 2009
    Haddonfield
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  17. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    #17 BrahmaBull, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    I see France first, with either 6 or 7 points, but i have the feeling Switzerland can get surprised with Ecuador, would hesitate between these two for the second spot.
    Honduras 4th, this country is still making first real steps into world cup, nothing is impossible but i really dont see them do anything this year, maybe a win over one of the 3 others maximum.

Switzerland 2-1 Ecuador
    France 3-1 Honduras
    Switzerland 0-1 France
    Honduras 0-1 Ecuador
    Honduras 2-1 Switzerland
    Ecuador 2-1 France

1. France 6pts; goal diff: +2; total goals scored 5
    2. Ecuador 6 pts; goal diff: +1; total goals scored 4
    3. Switzerland 3 pts; goal diff: -1; total goals scored 3
    4. Honduras 3 pts; goal diff: -2; total goals scored 3

Even group in the end :p

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Honduras and Ecuador make it out the group. Latin America strong!, None of these teams have anything that will make me say "wow, clear cut favs" DD opted for an obedient group than to an absolute talented one, while Switzerland.. lets be real, are the weakest seeded team in Brazil.

The proximity to our countries and the weather will play a big factor. Latin America United!

lav92 and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  19. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Deschamps led Monaco to the 2004 Champions league final, I think that was a bigger achievement...

20. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Ya, that was his best squad ever though. Then got crushed.

21. rafalthepol

rafalthepol New Member

May 12, 2014
    Switzerland are not the weakest seeded team in Brazil...that would be Iran or Algeria.....

22. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Algeria and Iran are not seeded teams.

The seeds by group:

A- Brazil

B- Spain

C- Colombia

D- Uruguay

E- Switzerland

F- Argentina

G- Germany

H- Belgium

Other than host country seeds like South Africa in 2010, etc., Switzerland may be the weakest seeded team ever.

23. rafalthepol

rafalthepol New Member

May 12, 2014
    OHHHHHHH now i understand

24. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You're very outspoken about France. Do you actually watch them play? Ever? To say that this squad is worse than the 2010 squad is really kind of silly.

25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    No, I'm just bantering. To me this is the Banter thread.

But it does grind my gears when people make the notion that this will be a cupcake group. Never judge a book by its cover.

guignol repped this.