PBP: Matchday 33 99.999% eliminated Crew vs Already clinched playoffs lol Poop FC Sunday 9/29/19 5:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big J 0526, Sep 24, 2019.

?

What will the result be?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2019.
  1. Win by 2 or more aka Coachbot9000 masterclass

12.2%
  2. Win by 1

19.5%
  3. Canadian Win (nee tie)

19.5%
  4. Lose by 1

19.5%
  5. Lose by 2 or more aka Caleb Porter disasterclass

17.1%
  6. Going Dutch - Room makes 2+ Saves after 90th minute to secure a Crew Win! - worth 2 points

7.3%
  7. And here I thought I was a weeb. @BigJ0526 is the biggest weeb in all of Crew fandom - @chr1st

4.9%
  1. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That was one of the worst 70 minutes followed by some of the best 20 we’ve seen from this team this season. Moving Santos to the middle and Mokhtar coming in for the cinderblock that is Guzman made the difference. You could see this as either Porter making necessary adjustments to the game or dumb choices to begin with. Anyone hoping Santos should start the season on the wing next season should watch this game. Santos plays far better in the middle, period.

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe. But Santos in the middle with Mokhtar, Diaz and Zardes surrounding him is a totally different situation than being out wide with Guzman, Artur or Trapp (via a miracle that I cannot begin to imagine) generating some sort of offensive pressure.

In the end, it may not matter. I get the sense that Porter wants attackers who can attack quickly and flexibly. We'll see who we sign this off season, but I kinda doubt it'll be someone in the Higuain mold (i.e., through whom the attack always seems to have to go). Santos wide, or Santos in the middle may not matter as much if he - and the other midfield attackers - can play a more free-flowing attacking style than we became used to seeing with HIguain.

Tobias C, Bill Archer and TRUJDUB repped this.
  3. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    between pedros goal and the browns, I came at least 5 times today.

Bill Archer repped this.
  4. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Lol after the 3x in one day I’m done , very impressive

5. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Since we snapped out of that skid when we got new players Neil mentioned in post game we have 2nd most points in the East since that stretch began .

WhiteHartShame repped this.
  6. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One loss in the last 12 games, at NYC at the end if a 3 games in 8 stretch, Zardes and others rested.

The Cinci game at home, and the three late blown leads (TFC, CHI, at Van) were the death of our PO hopes. Though our 1 win in 15 (with 1 or 2 draws) and 26 without a shutout didn't help much.

Still, with the new additions, Philly & Atlanta did not outclass us. And a strong finish to the season, despite the injuries (Pipa, Valenzuela, Jimenez, Francis).

With a good offseason we could be as good as anyone save LAFC. Of course, everyone else will try to improve as well..

Tobias C repped this.
  7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That’s neat. But the season is 34 games. Greg Andrulis went on an 18 match unbeaten run and actually won two trophies for the team? How many people want him back?

Hot streaks come and go. Our hot streak includes throwing away points vs FCC, Chicago, and Vancouver. It includes even the most optimistic fans stating that the team has hardly put together a full 90 minutes at any time this season. It includes our manager petulantly avoiding an interview with the local paper and shouting that his players don’t even know how to kick the ball out of bounds in the last five minutes.

When a few dozen people speak to this arbitrary start and end point where the Crew was the second best team in the East, the several dozen more who actually care about MLS will point to how the Crew wasn’t even good enough to make the playoffs in a league where 57% of the teams make it.

But, don’t let me stop you from celebrating 9th/19th place. It can’t get much worse!

8. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The point is roster turnover and there will be more of that so the future is bright and while a lot of us thought we would finish 5-7 in the East , all things considered that we endured this season Im ok with missing the playoffs but it should never happen again . Focus on the positive MR sunshine

TrueCrew repped this.
  9. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Really? You don't think that every other team uses these tactics? How about grabbing someone and getting a yellow card to diffuse a dangerous counter? It's the way the game is played at a professional level all over the world.

10. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did we sign Jesus?
    He *has* to be a DP, right?

Smithsoccer1721 and TRUJDUB repped this.
  11. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    We bought him down with TAM. I think it was at least 30 coins.

TKyle, odave, Pauncho and 6 others repped this.
  12. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear his agent is a real bitch. Stab his own mother in the back for another 30.

DGA57v2 repped this.
  13. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody. You are Welcome.

15. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    the_rickler repped this.
  16. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    BTW on Hispanic Heritage night nothing could be more fitting than the shoreline of ....

Dos a cero !

TKyle repped this.
  17. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Yes, it is a 34 game season and we shit away our chance by conceding late goals in 4-5 games. What you fail to see is that for the Crew it really has been a tale of two halves. The first group coming in at the transfer window has produced a streak that gave us a chance even with the miserable 15 game stretch before then. Your hatred of Porter seems to make you lose the positive trend we're seeing. One loss since July coming at the sandbox in Yankee Stadium. Your previous excuse was that we couldn't beat anyone of significance but you fail to acknowledge that we've beaten NYRB and Atlanta on the road and the Union at home last night. We also tied San Jose at their place where few have been successful. Maybe 9th with the chance of finishing at 8th after where we were before is not worthy to you so why don't you go and enjoy your Serie A teams and come back to the bandwagon next year.

stanger repped this.
  18. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or better than that... DON’T come back, and let people be happy once in a while.

stanger repped this.
  19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hey... I wasn't wrong.

Alneri repped this.
  20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Over/under on people who knew it was zoo night? A walk through the plaza revealed... nothing.

TyphonInc repped this.
  21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

FAN POLICE IN THE HOUSE!!!!! Sargent DGA57v2 reporting!!!

Sure, there is a positive trend. Instead of finishing 22nd or 23rd in the league we may finish in the top 20 of a 24 team league. I acknowledged this earlier in this very thread. Not unlike how you acknowledged after the Atlanta game in the post game thread that "it was the first time that the team looked prepared to play 90 minutes in a long time."

Unfortunately for Columbus Crew and our fanbase the games are 90 minutes and the season is 34 games long. No matter what reasonable standard we are holding failing to make the playoffs in a league where 58% of the teams make the playoffs is failure.

We can put brackets around the failure any way we want, but best case scenario is the team was 10 points worse than last year and failed to make the playoffs when an extra playoff spot was available to them. It's a bad season. And yes there were injuries, and yes Steffen left, and yes there were multitudes of coaching and individual errors that led to a no good, very bad season.

The story of the 2019 Columbus Crew is simple. It was a minor miracle that the team existed at all, and the coaches and players failed in multiple ways leading us to play mostly meaningless games the second half of the season.

It is what it is. Of course there is hope for a better 2020, nobody is saying otherwise. 2019, on the field, was a failure.

Alneri repped this.
  22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's why we went early. Mrs KG was very happy to get a picture with Max the Elephant....

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Look, man.....obviously we have our differences and obviously we don't like each-other much at all.

But I genuinely hope that your happiness Columbus Crew related, and in life, is dependent upon greater things than my presence or lack there of on this message board.

Bless Up, KCbus.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw none, but I heard there were two total.