PBP: Matchday 3: C01.Australia-Italy

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by blissett, Jun 9, 2019.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Can't we get rid of the off sides rule, or at least for this game

Val1 repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bonansea does it again!

blissett repped this.
  3. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  4. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Italy actually won this and deservedly so
    It was Kerr actually who didn’t come up high enough in the end

5. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    Australia could still beat Brazil and Jamaica...

blissett repped this.
  6. mattypark

mattypark Member

Oct 23, 2004
  7. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90+5' (of +5') 1-2 Cernoia fk at 8m wide right, left instep inswings to 5m 1-right, drops just over Kerr backpedalling. Bonansea reads it better, light forearm pressure to Kerr's neck impedes any jump (Kerr has used this trick herself ;)). Ld.Williams comes out into Kerr's back but doesn't follow through, ends up nowhere. Bonansea nods ball down just inside left post, it bounces up over Polkinghorne's right foot. All those body parts along 6-top, and it ultimately came unimpeded directly to Bonansea's head.

FT 1-2. Wow, stuff just got real. Now we'll micro-analyze this for four years :coffee:

MiLLeNNiuM, kolabear and blissett repped this.
  8. Semblance17

Semblance17 Member+

United States
    Apr 27, 2013
    Lighthouse Point, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van Egmond almost had a game-changing block.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #34 blissett, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Ok, guys, the only game of the WWC I missed so far (lost in nowhere land in Paris, just reached my hotel) was the spectacular debut of my own country that just made the upset of the century (or at least of this WWC), but I can't help smiling anyway! :p I hope RAIsport in my country will replay the whole match later this evening, so I can enjoy it, despite already knowing the result. If I know my country even just a little, it will happen: you see, the typical Italian guy will pretend WWC isn't even happening, until suddenly Italy wins a game we weren't suppose to win, so everyone goes crazy and we go from about zero coverage, to rewatching the match on every channel again and again. :D So I have faith I will find a way to rewatch Bonansea's prowess and the ultra-emotional comment that I am sure went with the broadcast on Italian TV. :laugh:

I'll have to retrieve my post (can't remember in which thread I had put it), but I called that result: I had claimed early that Italy, at this round, had the potential to surprise Australia or Brazil or both! I stand by my claim and I now say that Italy can win the group. And, believe it or not, I feel like the most difficult match for them will be Jamaica.
    I'll go retrieving that message, so you can believe me, guys! :giggle:

The icing on the cake? Hold on... In my fantasy team for the World Cup I had Bonansea... and Kerr! :ROFLMAO:

Oh, thank you very much all you people for updating this thread, with also pictures of the goals. I still haven't seen highlights but by reading you, it felt like being there. :)

@Val1, you were away too long! Of course @Gilmoy writes his pieces himself! And, with his super-natural powers, he often follows and comments different matches at the same time! :eek: True fact. Just randomly browse US boards to confirm that.

MiLLeNNiuM, kolabear, McSkillz and 8 others repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I quote myself from Nadeshiko Japan thread on 2th of June:

Of course, if you go to the rest of my post you'll also find predictions that I completely missed instead :p (an example: Group A will be very balanced until the end :x3:), but my early prediction for Italy stands. :D

kolabear repped this.
  11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @blissett

And here is me thinking you were Japanese....

MiLLeNNiuM and blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I root primarily for Japan (in fact I don't want to think at the possibility of a Japan-Italy game later in the tournament! :x3:), Nadeshiko Japan is the team that definitely made me fall in love with women's football and I didn't change my mind since.

Italy grew into me: I am not the kind of guy necessarily rooting for its own nation in sports, if I don't particularly love the team, but in the last 10 years this Italy team ended getting me, while they were slowly but steadily putting themselves on the women's football map. Now they're there and I fully support them. :)

(But... don't ask me about my allegiance in a Japan-Italy match... I'll only say: "Sorry, my country!").

McSkillz, Val1 and KAPIJXM repped this.
  13. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Same here.

14. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Definitely looking like the upset of the tournament - it'll be hard to top! But I think FRA 0-2 COL is going to tough to beat in terms of biggest WWC upset ever. ;)

lil_one and blissett repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    from reading the over1K post game comments on the Matildas/facebook page, whoever Heather Reid is will be facing an firing squad(she's probably the Aussie official got aruptly fired the former coach, Staj, a few months back)

there's anoither set of Aussie fans that feel that the Italians were well coach by their...........national diving team! I didn't see it that away, in fact it was the Matildas that kept diving in the penalty area.

nice to see the games(today) played at a breathless pace/woso definitely has come a long way, baby!

congrats Italy, now you'll be facing the might of the Amercain college system(No,, not the Jill Ellis led team, but pretty much the enitre Jamaican squad!

KAPIJXM and blissett repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This was a great game. The Aussies played quite a crazy high defensive line at times and Italy were very brave. The Euro teams can all play at a strong level now.

I thought the Italian disallowed goal was very harsh. I feel with those really tight calls the benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker if they have their feet onside.

17. SaltyCatter

SaltyCatter Member

Feb 16, 2009
    The West
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil looked really good against an athletic Jamaica team-----i think the Matildas may be thru: as in finished....

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mod note: Please don't use that term to describe Jamaica. All of the teams at the WC are athletic.

McSkillz and JimWharton repped this.
  19. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    What a game. I don’t know if Australia necessarily played poorly or Italy had the game of their lives but the former will have to play better to deserve their contender status and if the latter can maintain this level, they will be trouble.

20. JimWharton

JimWharton Member+

Feb 25, 2017
    Can we also make sure not to discuss later games in any thread? I, probably like many in the US will be watching most games on delay. [emoji120] [emoji120] [emoji120]

soccernutter repped this.
  21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apologies, I'm usually on top of that.

JimWharton repped this.
  22. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    You seem to be suggesting that it is racist to describe an black team as "athletic." I disagree with this and think you are being hypersensitive. In fact, some teams are more athletic than others, and I see no reason they can't be described as "athletic." The chief quality of some players is their athleticism, as opposed to, say, their technical ability, so why wouldn't you say so? The same applies--generally--to teams. I have often described the Nigerian teams as athletic, because, across the board, they are--more so than a team like, say, Italy. Would you describe the Japanese women's NT as "athletic." I wouldn't. Athleticism is not their strength. I also don't ever recall an African American or black person pointing to the word "athl

You seem to be suggesting that it is racist to describe a black team as athletic. I disagree and think you're being hyper-sensitive. Some teams are more athletic than others--fact--just as some players are more athletic than others. Would you describe Japan as an "athletic" team? Or Italy? That's not the first word that I or others would be used to describe either of them. Athleticism is not the strength of those teams whereas athleticism might very well be the strength of Jamaica or, say, Nigeria--the latter always notable, to me, for its athleticism.

MiLLeNNiuM repped this.
  23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA official highlights of the match:

soccernutter and KAPIJXM repped this.
  24. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Anyone else still think De Vanna should have started. She is still their best playmaker and creates oppoortunities for her teammates. If she is fit, how can you not start her? For all the hype i was not overly impressed with Kerr.

25. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Yes. She is still ridiculously fast and can creat chances for the Aussies