Matchday 3 - Bayer Leverkusen @ Home (R)

Discussion in 'VfB Stuttgart' started by Vfbstuttgartfan, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    All on the game here.

Question marks over Tasci, we will have to see if Gebhart and Schieber can make it back into the squad for this one.

Bernd Leno will be making his debut in the Arena - with Leverkusen.

Leverkusen, on paper, are one of the best squads in this Bundesliga and, in Robin Dutt, they've gotten themselves a quality coach. They haven't looked great so far but I predict they will become really strong as the year progresses. Hopefully we can continue the momentum from matchday 1 and bring home what would be an excellent three points.

Should be a good game!

2. kgosser

kgosser New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm quite nervous. I'm feeling like a 3-1 type defeat :-(

Prediction time for the starting lineup

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Cacau,Gentner,Harnik,Kvist,Hajnal,Kuz,Molinaro,Maza,Boula,Celozzi,Ulriech[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

If Tasci is hurt they'll probably go with Boula at CB and Celozzi at RB.

I would like to see what Schieber can do as the lone forward one game. It probably won't be this one, but I could see it in a cup game, v. Augsburg, or something like that perhaps.

If Gebhart and/or Okazaki are fit, I would like to see them both come in for the wing spots. Personally, I think Leverkusen is the weakest on the wings. They have a good spine, but younger players on the wings. If Gentner/Harnik can be physical, harass them, and run their guts out up and down the edges, we have a chance. Consequently, bring in Okazaki and Gebhart in the 60th/70th to keep the high pace up.

Let's go guys!

3. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I'm in the mood for a big win this morning :cool:

If that really is our defence though, I am not so comfortable. In 3 seasons with the club Boulahrouz has never looked great in central defence, and Celozzi has never looked great on the pitch.

I hope Tasci can make it.

4. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brotha man needs a source to view the match.:(

SIEG SCHWABEN!

5. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't find a stream, but matchtracker shows VfB 0 - 1 Lederhosen, at the half.

6. kgosser

kgosser New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I can't find a stream this week either. I did find one for about 5 minutes, and saw the Kiessling goal, lol. Slop goal... rebound off a long shot. Vintage Van Nistelrooy... heh

7. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was a CastAmp feed working well since min.39 (Sky BL)

About 10 feeds were up at the start, but only WebCastOn worked until about min.7...then nothing until late first half.

8. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Leno have any sort of advantage against his usual teammates in that he probably knows how they "tend" to shoot? Or conversely, do the VfB players have any sort of edge having a better sense of Leno's moves?

Probably doesn't matter if VfB can't get a shot on goal anyway. :(

9. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found a stream at a site that begins with (highlight to reveal):

http://thesportslivetv.blogspot.com/p/channel-5.html

10. Winoman

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VfB doesn't look very good from what I've seen (the last half-hour of the match), always a half-step slower, and can't get past the Bayer defense.

Just to add, the ref - while not bad - has not been doing VfB any favors with his calls. Definitely no "home-field advantage" for this one.

11. JB-Bundesliga

JB-Bundesliga Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I caught about 40-42 minutes total, more in the 2nd half. Hard to get a great sense of the game flow due to the disjointed viewing. But from what I saw, it was pretty much a slopfest for VfB. Leverkusen was clearly more in control. VfB less so, even frantic at times. Saw Kvist do an expert positioning job to win a ball one-on-one at midfield in the second half. Geez, that was probably the highlight for me!

Boulahrouz sent off late with a red. In general, he actually looked off today. Not a lot of controlled, focused hustle up the wings from anyone. Okazaki, Prog, Traore subbed-in 2nd half with no results. Not a good day for the team. More work to do. Bummer.

12. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    A shameful performance by the squad, they played really awful today and must ask themselves a lot of questions. I am very disappointed in the side, they were a big of shit.

I will write more later when I've hopefully cooled down a little.

Good for Leverkusen, deserved win. And the great start against Schalke has been thrown away. Back to midfield.

13. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    And the goal? Clear blunder by Sven Ulreich. Just saying.

14. kgosser

kgosser New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw 10 minutes in the first half and the last 10 minutes in the second half.

First half 10 minutes:
    - saw the goal. slop. Ulriech was at fault.
    - No control by the wingers. They were frantic and lost the ball a lot.
    - The two DMs are still not that good at distributing out of the back. Their passes were off the mark, too fast some times, too slow others.

Second half 10 minutes:
    - Boula sent off with a second yellow for flicking off the ref with middle finger. Silly. Now we'll be short a guy next game! I don't like that stuff. Shows clear lack of focus from Bruno.
    - Subs were weak. Played Traore as the LB for Molinaro and had him attacking as a winger behind Okazaki. Strange.
    - Leno is good.
    - Leno is good.
    - Leno is good.

15. stonesean

stonesean Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd find it difficult to blame Bruno for Boulahrouz, a guy with a bit of a temper, acting like a complete moron. Yes, he probably never said: "Remember boys, don't make offensive gestures to the ref", but he probably never said that because, you know, the team is supposed to be populated by professionals. I wouldn't be surprised if Khalid sits for more than one game.....

It was certainly a garbage performance...I counted at least 4 unforced turnovers on the left side in the first half in front of me. Total crap.

16. kgosser

kgosser New Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good rebuttal, Stonesean. Point taken.

17. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Player Ratings:

Sven Ulreich: Kicker Rating: 5 (3 games played, 3.17 avg.)
    My Rating: 5

Khalid Boulahrouz: KR: 4 (3 games played, 3.67 avg.)
    MR: 5

Serdar Tasci: KR: 3 (3 games played, 2.83 avg.)
    MR: 3

Maza: 3 (3 games played, 3.00 avg.)
    MR: 3

Cristiano Molinaro: KR: 4 (3 games played, 3.33 avg.)
    MR: 4

William Kvist: KR: 3 (3 games played, 2.50 avg.)
    MR: 3.5

Zdravko Kuzmanovic: KR: 4 (3 games played, 3.17 avg.)
    MR: 4.5

Martin Harnik: KR: 4.5 (3 games played, 3.83 avg.)

Tamas Hajnal: KR: 5 (3 games played, 4.17 avg.)
    MR: 5

Christian Gentner: KR: 3.5 (3 games played, 3.17 avg.)

Cacau: KR: 4 (3 games played, 3.00 avg.)

SUBS:

Pavel Pogrebnyak: KR: 4 (3 games played, 0 as starter, 4.00 avg.)

Shinji Okazaki: KR: 4 (2 games played, 0 as starter, 4.00 avg.)

Ibrahima Traore: KR: No Rating (3 games played, 0 as starter, no avg. rating)
    MR: NR

Unused Subs:
    - Marc Ziegler
    - Stefano Celozzi
    - Arthur Boka
    - Patrick Bauer

18. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've gotta give Traore a rating. He was on their long enough to waste possession several times. I was actually a little hopeful with Boula off the field - at least he wouldn't be bringing the ball up the right side. When he mis-hit his shot in the first half, under no pressure, we could have guessed he would have a bad match.

19. kenken

kenken New Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Hello guys I was planning on traveling to Germany and was wondering where I could get a ticket to watch Bayer Leverkusen when I get there. Do you have to go to the stadium to buy tickets or should I buy them online? Do they also sell out quickly? Would it be to late to get a ticket the day of the game? Thank you for your help.

20. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Ask in the Leverkusen thread, which shouold exist in the Germany: Clubs section. Personally, I have no idea how ticketing works there, although they do not have a huge stadium when compared to some other German clubs so you might want to buy early.