Matchday 22: ATL vs NSC, 8/27/21

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Aug 27, 2021.

1. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta United vs Nashville SC
    Mercedes Benz Stadium, Atlanta
    Saturday, August 27, 3:30 PM
    Univision

MLSsoccer.com preview here.
    AJC.com United page here.
    ATLUTD.com preview here.
    NSC preview here.

Player Availability
    Atlanta
    • OUT: Emerson Hyndman (torn ACL)
    • OUT: Mo Adams (left quad)
    • OUT: Jake Mulraney (lower body)
    • OUT: Franco Ibarra (lower body)
    • OUT: Santiago Sosa (lower body)

Nashville
    • OUT: Dax McCarty (health & safety protocols)
    • OUT: Matt LaGrassa (health & safety protocols)
    • OUT: Handwalla Bwana (concussion)
    Preview to come in the morning. Child #1 needs a new phone.

2. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Child #1 needs to get a job! There are more important things in life, like game previews for the six of us in this forum!

Seriously, though, we're coming up against a good team while we're shorthanded (tell me if you've heard this one before). We've got the horses, but we've got to play a better defensive game than we did last time out. If Robinson, Bello, Martinez, and Hernandez can put in one good shift before they're out for international duty, we'll be alright.

My prediction: we pick up a point, DC picks up a point, and we stay right where we were just below the line.

Auriaprottu, GunnerJacket and VFish repped this.
  3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I agree, child #1 needs to get a job and let the 6 of us discuss important things. It is rivalry weekend and that means we are playing Orlando.... oh wait, we are playing Nashville. To me that means frat band 'Doug and the Hot Nuts' should be playing on the Home Depot lawn. Maybe you should take child #1 to Graceland? It is a journey we should all take.
    (769) Paul Simon - Graceland (from The Concert in Hyde Park) - YouTube

SabreKhan and GunnerJacket repped this.
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And again, half the team out with lower body injuries and/or broken penises.

5. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now I'm going to have that stuck in my head for the rest of the day. We wore out the records of Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints at my house.

VFish repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #6 GunnerJacket, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    Can you want revenge for a tie? If so, Atlanta welcomes Nashville back to the Benz surely wanting a change to make up for the late goals surrendered in the team's last affair, when the Stripes' defense comprised a way to let slip a 2-0 lead after 77'. You can be sure the home side will want to atone, and along with that Josef will look to finally score against Music City, the only MLS team to hold him scoreless thus far.

Nashville comes in 5 spots better than Atlanta in the standings but only 5 pts better. They're doing it with a surprisingly better offense compared to last season. They opportunistic, confident going forward, and they've added a few new weapons to the arsenal, including newbie Ake Loba. He's yet to score but Hany Mukhtar and CJ Sapong have each netted 8 goals. They've done it with a blend of solid set pieces and faith their general defensive posture will create opportunities. Here's the thing, though: Nashville is winless on the road, with 2 draws and 5 losses. They've won 7 at home, but have played most of their matches to date in Nissan Stadium and have struggled when sleeping in hotels.

For Atlanta, today marks Pineda's official debut as manager, and after a full week of practice together the team has had fair opportunity to learn about him and his demands. Gonzalo said he wouldn't make too many changes in terms of lineups and style, but has mentioned things they can improve upon in their man marking in midfield, among others. He thinks with a few tweaks they can yield even better results. Add in the increased time for Araujo to bed in and it's easy to see why Stripes fans feel excited about their offense again. The trick today will be the absence of a true defensive midfielder. Expect one of Rossetto or Sedjic to try their hand at the role again, knowing they'll have their hands full with marking duties that may impact their contributions going forward. Nashville will likely want to play direct, Atlanta from outside, so the ball should be flinging around at quite the clip today.

Josef wants this. Pineda wants this. Stripes win, 3-1.

PS: For the record #1 has a job (both kids do, actually) but is ailing, wanted my advice on what to get, and her phone is on my account. Did need to work on the whole panic attack about a dead device, but we'll get there.

Vamos Atlanta!

VFish repped this.
  7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Glad to hear #1 has a new phone. I think Josef bags two goals today. HUP!

GunnerJacket repped this.
  8. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think it is good parenting to call the kids #1 and #2. I used 'him 'and 'her' without ever thinking of their preferred pronoun preferences.

I still think our #9 who wears #7 bags 2 goals today.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sejdic gets the call in the middle today. Everything else is the A lineup.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Apart from McCarty and Muy,l Nashville has their full lineup, as well. Zimmerman recovered and starting.

11. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    HT: 0-1

NSC applies the pressure in the last 10 mins, and their work pays off with a goal in the last seconds of added time. Atlanta has had the better shots, but NSC has had more shots overall. Atlanta strikers having a difficult time getting into open positions for shots, due in large part to NSC's defense.

Josef has drifted deeper and wider then normal today, probably intending to make room for Barco and Luiz to cut in. Couple good attacks have been lost due to bad first touches. Bello getting a lot of touches and making some great runs, but he's so easily muscled off the ball in those closing stretches.

NSC gonna pack it in and look to counter all the more, now that they have the lead. Atlanta can't afford to wait too long to get the tying goal. Fingers crossed.

C'mon you Stripes!

12. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Thought Josef had a goal....

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
  14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FT: 0-2

NSC scores an empty netter with seconds to go.

Story is simply this - NSC had a great defense tonight, but Atlanta was also very profligate in attack.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Trying to wrap my head around this one. Team didn't necessarily play bad, but they weren't great, either. Looked a lot like the Heinze coached sides.

Thought the overlaps from the attackers looked predictable, and often not enough to open up defenders.

The trapping of the ball was poor from a LOT of guys today. Also looked like when Atlanta won 50/50 headers it just went anywhere, whereas when Nash players won it the ball went to one of their players. A lot of little things like that made Atlanta second best today.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    FWIW, Tata lost his first match at Atlanta, too! Just saying.