Matchday 18: Barca - Espanyol [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Ublydok, Jan 5, 2006.

1. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    15 wins in a row babyyyyyy :D

THIS TEAM IS LEGENDARY

2. frostdude1

frostdude1 Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    oo and are there highlites ???

3. sibuor

sibuor New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    i thought about that

4. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dream team 2

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know where Barca were at points-wise at this point last yr?
    I am looking at you Greddy, Krazbo,and elchico.

6. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    We had one point less after 18 games. 42 instead of 43. Here are the results. but I can't count worth ******** so someone might wanna go over these results again

28 Jan 2004 FC Barcelona 1-1 Valencia CF
    29 Aug 2004 Racing de Santander 0-2 FC Barcelona
    12 Sep 2004 FC Barcelona 2-0 Sevilla FC
    19 Sep 2004 Atletico de Madrid 1-1 FC Barcelona
    23 Sep 2004 FC Barcelona 4-1 Real Zaragoza
    26 Sep 2004 Palma de Mallorca 1-3 FC Barcelona
    3 Oct 2004 FC Barcelona 1-0 Numancia CD
    16 Oct 2004 Espanyol Barcelona 0-1 FC Barcelona
    24 Oct 2004 FC Barcelona 3-0 Osasuna
    30 Oct 2004 Athletic de Bilbao 1-1 FC Barcelona
    6 Noi 2004 FC Barcelona 2-1 Deportivo la Coruna
    14 Noi 2004 Real Betis Sevilla 2-1 FC Barcelona
    20 Noi 2004 FC Barcelona 3-0 Real Madrid
    27 Noi 2004 Getafe CF 1-2 FC Barcelona
    4 Dec 2004 FC Barcelona 4-0 Malaga CF
    11 Dec 2004 Albacete Palomie 1-2 FC Barcelona
    21 Dec 2004 FC Barcelona 2-1 Levante UD
    9 Jan 2005 Villarreal CF 3-0 FC Barcelona

7. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, watched the match last night.

I loved Deco's celebration, with the rain coming down, and the passion he showed, it looked amazing!

De La Pena was a total foolwith what he did to Messi. I was really hoping someone would give him a hard smack!
    It was just a matter of time until players began to use that unwritten rule of knocking the ball out of play.:(

8. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen
    Honestly, what the hell was he mad at? They showed the replays a couple of times and I can't understand why De la Pena was mad at Messi, Messi didn't do anything!
    Other than that outburst, De La Pena played very well.

9. chrisc

chrisc New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Portland, OR
    The only thing I can think of was when he blew by him the first time it looked like Messi kind of wildly, and blindly, swung his arm at De La Peña.

De La Peña's just eternally frustrated because his career went into the tank after he left Barça, although he was one of the best players on the pitch in blue and white yesterday.

10. red & wite army

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    One of the Espanyol players 'got hurt' when he got tackled at the start of Barca's play up to the goal opportunity.

De La Pena was angry that Barca didn't knock the ball out of play because of the 'injury'. But infact, when the 'injured' player realised play carried on,he jumped up perfectly and started running.

I am so angry that people are beginning to abuse that unwritten rule!:mad:

I haven't been keeping up with De La Pena's career at all, but I could see that he was jealous of the other players and their team.

11. Joep

Joep Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Antwerp
    I think de la Pena deserves a little more respect than being called jealous and a fool.

What he did to Messi was stupid, because I don't think Messi even saw a player go down, but the way Motta treated him afterwards was embarrassing, really.

12. acmilan_barcelona

acmilan_barcelona Nou Camp-San Siro

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    Kobranzilla, i was spot on with the prediction.:D Just knew it was going to be tough playing Espanyol in the derby away.

Great hard fought game and hoping that Deco recovers well. The team battled well in such rainy conditions. I`m hoping for maximum points in the next primera home games starting with the clash with A-Bilboa and then Alaves.

We have to also prepare for the second leg of the Copa del rey, with a commanding 3-1 advantage i think Frank will rest several starters.

On the plus side, Real Madrid dropped more points versus Villareal:) while Osasuna also drew at home to Santander, i wanted them to loose but 2 points dropped is still significant. Depor continues to surprise me this season, inactive in the transfer window last summer, i thought they would struggle this season. They are actually playing better than many teams that reinforced.

Valencia is up against Atletico Madrid, a loss would be most welcome for Che but we will take a draw. Looks good for us.

13. red & wite army

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well this is obviously aimed at me.

I use those words quite loosely, so think of my definition as silly.:)

When I say jealous, I mean...sad that he isn't in that position.:p

Yes, although I said som1 should have smacked him,it is horrible to take it to far, because that is out ofline.

14. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    De La Peña didnt leave Barca on his own terms, he was forced out by Van Gaal who didnt agree with his free spirit playing style. He didnt fit into the dutchman's rigid Ajax philosophy of the game, every player is a small pice of a puzzle, having a role and to only play this role.

15. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Here are reactions of the players after the game:

Ronaldinho

"We knew that they'd cause us a lot of problems and try and stop us playing our normal game and that's just what they did".

"They are three important points and our objective has to keep this up until the end of the season".

"We always respect our opponents, but we are confident in our own work too".

Oleguer

"There are things we need to work on, but the important thing is that we won and showed we are a team with a winning mentality".

"It doesn't matter to me whether I play at centre half or at full back. Th only important thing is to help the team win".

Edmílson

"Deco's goal helped us to get on the track to victory the three points were the most important thing".

"We could have made it 0-3, but we didn't make it and when they took it to 1-2 it got a bit tricky for us. The pitch wasn't in great condition, but the important thing is that we know how to control things defensively in these situations".

"Defensively, I'm much happier about how I'm playing and improving. I was also able to bring out the ball under control on some occasions".

"We have a very compact team, with no spaces between the lines and that's great. We found it tough at the start of the season, but now we have managed it and we're very happy".

Eto'o

"It was a good derby game, with plenty of action until the final whistle. Now we just have to keep winning".

"Kameni saved them with one or three or four great stops, despite the goal he let in from Deco. The keeper is the last player and when he makes a mistake, it's a goal".

Valdés

"Things are looking great for us - it's a really positive moment and I hope it never stops".

"It's harder to play when the pitch is so muddy, but you just have to get used to the conditions".

"Espanyol made things difficult for us. We tried to play our own game and not lose the ball, though the pitch didn't help".

16. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Nothing to add:
    :D

[​IMG]

17. Lucho-the-Legend

Nov 9, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Did anyone else notice Messi's jersey number change from 30 to 19. My best assumption is because he is now no longer consider a youth team player (those numbers in the first team above #25 are youth players).

18. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Exactly!

I posted notification in this thread before the match. No.30 is already a legendary :D

19. Hristo Stoitchkov

Hristo Stoitchkov New Member

Jan 25, 2005
    NYC
    Exactly. I always personally loved to watch de la pena play. Full of fire and spirit. How do you think Ronaldo got the majority of the goals he scored when he was on Barca--Ivan and pep

A lot of politics were involved in his departure.

20. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    To me Ivan de la pena is one of the most techinically gifted players to have come through our youth scheme. It is a shame that he only played for us as a senior for one season. I was actually excited when he first broke into the first team given his overal playmaking skills. And it is also a shame that it took him till if i recall last year to make his national team debut. But realistically he would have represented spain during euro 96 with the way he was playing but unlucky.

Alot of controversy still surrounds his exit from Barca together with other youngsters at the time, Celades, Roger Garcia, Javi Moreno who latter moved to Milan, i think it is the same period that Alvarez left. Van Gaal of course was the main reason to why these youngsters left.

As for De la pena, all those expectations we had in him vanished when he moved to the rigid serie A with Lazio, he really didn`t fair bad but that league never suited his attacking play, too way too defensive at he time.

I lost track of his progress when he moved to Ligue 1 with Marseille until he returned on loan with us, can`t recall when 2001 may be before finally moving to Espanyol where he is actually playing well. I think he has a great chance to go to the world cup, he just needs to keep playing well. But what he did to Messi wasn`t good.

21. acmilan_barcelona

May 11, 2002
    Barcelona Monteserat
    i didn`t notice until now, good that he has been rewarded for his hard work.

I heard Deco is out of hospital, great news even if i don`t want him to be risked for the second leg of the copa del rey. Neither do i want our top starters to play, may be Eto`o to increase his goal tally. Hoping for Santi, Gabri, Larsson, Van Bommel and others to play.

we should win that second leg if we work hard.

22. Godinho10

Godinho10 BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 19, 2005
    I bet fatnaldo misses Ivan and Pep's goal passes.I never could understand why cruyff and Van brickhead never liked Ivan.Sure he cant defend but he can give u passes of goal.