Matchday 16: ORL vs ATL, 7/30/21

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I doubt he's coming back regardless. IIRC, it was his wife who didn't like Atlanta, or didn't want to live in a country where Spanish wasn't the #1 language, can't remember which.

"Finish up the career before you marry", I said. "She'll be telling you where to work, but not contributing to the income", I said...

He's never been anywhere for very long, and we have to get rid of Boca to truly right this ship anyway. The big question is, "How close are we to ditching Boca?"

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As I understood it Tata's biggest grievance was less the language or culture but the rigors of club management vs national team duty. With the latter you're really only hands on for several weeks a year, when the team is actually assembled. The rest of the time is scouting and networking that you can do from home, and these days often shunt that out to other staff.

The US wasn't only a non-Spanish speaking nation but it was culturally different and much too far from where his family preferred to live in Argentina. (One wonders if Atlanta would have been a stop for him at all if not for Hartsfield!) With the MNT he's not only closer but has a lot more time that he can devote to family, be it in Mexico or Argentina.

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If that's the reason, we're not gonna see him again. And we still need to ditch Boca.

Not to be overly questioning, but we're talking about a fairly long flight either way. What's another six, seven hours, if that flight is happening only every other week or so (I can't imagine him or his wife traveling home that often). I think an airport in ATL would have been big enough to not be a factor in his decision. It doesn't have to be as big as Hartsfield-Jackson... I think any airport that could get him home would have done.

4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh, yeah, I don't think the distance was the reason he chose Mexico. He chose them because they're paying him a ton, and of the available Latin American jobs it was the best option. I was simply noting it's 2 hours less on the plane flight to Buenos Aires from Mexico City vs from Atlanta, and that can add up considering how much they'll use that trip.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Meanwhile... Fonseca?

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MILES ROBINSON!!!!!

7. Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk Member

Atlanta United
    Jun 19, 2014
    Club:
    Goias Goiania
    I hear Tata may be available. :)

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Fonseca said no thanks. Allegedly we're now asking for permission to talk to some dude from Seattle's staff

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Can't argue about Seattle's success, but Atlanta fans will never accept winning in Seattle's style....zzzzzzz....:sleep:

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Consistent, but never again beautiful. I think they might accept it, if the winning was consistent enough. The average MLS fan wouldn't know the difference anyhow.

But I don't care for their diving, stalling tactics. I watched Lodeiro flop and crawl his way to a draw in 2018 that should have been a win for us. Cursed him all the way home. Almiron missed a sitter that would have taught them a lesson in humility. We were up a man any damn how.

VFish repped this.
  11. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Really? We were a missed PK away from picking up 3 of the 4 pieces of silverware available in 2019 and all I remember was bellyachin' about playing style and boring tactics. Of course at this point, our fan base might be willing to reassess whether style is more important than throphies, who knows?

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A. Fonseca was a reach. It was possible, but the guy has no need for MLS jobs right now.

B. Pineda is arguably among the best assistants due for a shot at the big chair, and reportedly one of the main guys behind Seattle having a bona fide winning culture. While it would be nice to feel we're due better than "settling on an assistant," sooner or later these need the chance and occasionally they pan out. If this goes through hopefully he's the next best thing.

C. I don't need Atlanta to play sexy, I need them to work hard and vie for trophies.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Barco, Sejdic, and Bello get the start tonight. Will be interesting to see how Barco and Moreno get along today.