Matchday 10-Tottenham Hotspur vs. Middlesbrough FC [R]

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The Double, Oct 25, 2003.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
  2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My lineup:

Keller

Carr Richards Gardner Tanno

Dalmat Anderton Mabizela Konchesky

Keane Zamora/Postiga

Boro are a good side, but they're not clinical in their finishing and they have given up a few soft goals. If we keep it tight then we should be able to finish them, I think Keano is long overdue for a goal and this could be his game.

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've got to listen to this on Talksport, won't be able to watch it on TV, even though it is on there.

Starting lineup is:

Keller

Carr Richards Gardner Tanno

Dalmat Anderton Poyet Konchesky

Keane Zamora

I cannot believe Pleat started Poyet and Anderton again as a central midfield partnership.....
    urghhh.

4. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Line-ups: Spurs: Keller, Carr, Taricco, Gardner, Richards, Anderton, Dalmat, Poyet, Konchesky, Keane, Zamora. Subs: Burch, Postiga, Mabizela, King, Ricketts.

Middlesbrough: Schwarzer, Cooper, Southgate, Queudrue, Davies, Doriva, Zenden, Mendieta, Boateng, Nemeth, Christie. Subs: Nash, Juninho, Greening, Riggott, Maccarone.

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our central midfield is being ineffective again.... what a surprise. They've slagging off Poyet and Anderton, I don't blame them.

Dalmat though is apparently looking very lively, should have had a penalty after having his shirt tugged by Zenden in the area. Every time he runs at the Boro defence he causes trouble. Konchesky is also doing well, working hard and a good strike on him.

Mendieta is the best player for Boro so far, apparently he's been man of the match 4 times in his first 5 games for Boro (!)

Ref and his linesman on the right hand side have been terrible to Spurs apparently. Not giving fouls on Dalmat and being very inconsistent.

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lots of pressure from Spurs, but Boro are dangerous on the counter - Zenden's pace, Nemeth and Christie up there as well are agile and sharp.

Come on you Spurs!

7. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Halftime 0-0.

Spurs have had more possession but we haven't done enough with it. Boro have counterattacked and had good chances. Dalmat has looked class though and has been moved into central midfield to give him more of the ball.

I'd drag Poyet off, the commentators have described him as "non-existent". Again. I'd then put Ricketts on, or maybe Mabizela to enable Dalmat to have much more of a free attacking role in midfield.

As it is if we're careful against their counter attack then we should get at least a draw, but if we get some quality balls into the penalty area and have a bit more cutting edge, then a win is definitely on.

8. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    1min: Zenden flashed wild 30-yarder a mile wide.

2mins: Decent build-up from Boro, Mendieta curler always going over.

5mins: Konchesky whipped cross from left caused all sorts of alarm bells in Boro defence, ball scrambled away.

12mins: Dalmat picked out Keane, Konchesky overlapping, Poyet inches away from low cross to near post.

15mins: Konchesky piledriver from 30 yards flashed wide.

19mins: Southgate big block from Anderton on edge of box.

20mins: Keller low save to his right from Doriva 25-yard drive.

21mins: Poyet break, Zamora low shot from 20 yards comfortable for Schwarzer.

27mins: YELLOW. Taricco for foul on Mendieta.

32mins: Konchesky attempted to lob half-punch away back over Schwarzer but keeper able to gather.

36mins: Quick break, ball ended up with Zenden wide left, low drilled cross flicked over by Boateng.

38mins: YELLOW. Mendieta for foul on Taricco.

45mins: Nemeth 30-yarder forced Keller to flick ball over the bar.

Half-time: Spurs 0-0 Boro

9. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    2nd half, no subs and our midfield is starting to look really poor now. What on earth is Pleat thinking??? Why the hell is he just leaving Anderton and Poyet out there to get dominated?

We can't rely on luck forever, at some point we're going to get shot down.

Come on you Spurs! Keano and Dalmat can still see us through.

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Boro are all over us now. McLaren has noticed the lack of energy in our midfield and their players are pouring forward from there. They're in total control and if it stays like this we're going to be in deep trouble.

We need Mabizela or King on for Poyet, and I think maybe also Ricketts for Anderton. Perhaps even Postiga for Poyet and switch to 4-3-3.

Poyet is getting a real slagging off by Alvin Martin, one of the commentators, calling him a passenger and that he has been useless. Get him off!

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Postiga is now on for Zamora. Zamora has been bright and lively, but he still needs experience to get his cutting edge right. Hopefully Helder will bag his first goal today.

King on for Poyet. Finally. You know, Gus could still be a useful supersub this season for his goalscoring, but his energy levels and determination just aren't anywhere near good enough to carry on as a starting Premiership player. He's finished.

It's one way traffic for Boro. A draw is looking very appealing for us about now.

12. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Full Time:
    Tottenham-0
    Boro-0

13. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  14. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I hope we fuck up West Ham on the 29th (?)

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Though I wonder if Ricketts got rest for this game as he has played alot and Pleat may want to keep him fresh all season long. That is the only reason I can see of him not coming on earlier.

16. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/mod...=article&sid=1168&mode=nested&order=0&thold=0
    This is the authors thoughts, which are very interesting:

17. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Excellent point. As Pleat put it, we have 3 games this week, so I wasn't surprised that Poyet went a long stretch. Hopefully King and/or Ziege will be ready soon, at least by next Weekend.

-Digital

18. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.glory-glory.net/news/show_story.asp?story_id=238

Here's Glory-Glory's take on things. Same as above, no more Poyet-Anderton, defensive midfield should be between Mabizela and King. Although it is bizarre that Mabizela did not get a chance this week after his goal and tigerish tackles last week. I was surprised to see King, he's been out for a few weeks so he wouldn't have been sharp enough to be effective in that role as a sub.

Anyway, in the last five games we've only conceded one goal (which was a fluke mistake) and of course kept four clean sheets. I always thought we had the defenders there to get this kind of record going. Long may it continue, with West Ham and Bolton up next.

19. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    King is an important player for us, so I have no problem trying to ease him back into the team as a sub. I think that was Pleat's plan all along and he didn't want to force King to play too many minutes, thus he held out longer than he should have with our central midfield combo. I suspect Mabizela may start Wednesday against West Ham, and then King will again come on as a sub.

As for the defense, let's not lose sight of the fact that we're playing many more defenders now (442), and the problem has become creating chances. Taricco isn't the most attacking wingback, and putting Konchesky in midfield is clearly a defensive move. When Ziege and Davies return, then we'll be able to determine whether our defense has really improved that much, because Ziege and Davies are certainly attack-minded and offense-first players.

At that time, I suspect we'll see Carr and Konchesky as fullbacks, and a midfield of Davies, Ziege, Dalmat and King. That should be a far more athletic and excitingly attacking midfield. But with all that dynamism, our defense just might be more exposed as well.

-Digital

20. Rambler

Rambler New Member

May 6, 2003
    The midfield needs a bit of experience, but playing both Anderton and Poyet isn't working. I think when Redknapp returns we can dispense with both of them. The midfield seems to be the weak area at the moment. We couldn't even cope with an average side like Boro in the second half.

I think another year of mid table obscurity beckons.