Match Fixing Scandal Serie A

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by wwnyc, May 12, 2006.

1. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
  2. Stag133

Stag133 New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Lowell, MA USA
    This type of scandal has been going on in SERIE A for years... with cries of cheating and bribery, etc.

there is a site DEDICATED to Juventus and "their ways"
    if you can read Italian, tell me what it says...
    from what I know, it catalouges (including videos)... many instances in which Juve cheated, or refs screwed up calls, etc...

www.antijuve.com

Check it out.

3. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be suprised if there was a bit of an exodus of talent from mid to lower table serie a teams flooding to the rest of europe; IMO the Serie A is almost unwatchable already, now that it might be fixed I think I'll just quit it cold turkey; maybe I'll start following the Russian League to compensate :p

4. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
  5. Stag133

Stag133 New Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Lowell, MA USA
    I don't think Serie A is "un-watchable"...
    I watch quite a bit of it... its pretty damned good football, to me.

6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would debate you, but its a total matter of personal opinion, besides, this would be the wrong forums anyways :)

7. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If all this is true Juve need to be relegated to Serie C.

8. Detlef

Detlef Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. However, that will happen when pigs fly (apologies to Rick B and other fans of Michael Howard). Juventus wields a lot of clout in Italian football.

9. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. DougG_ATL

DougG_ATL Member

Jul 5, 2005
    metro Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juve got caught with their hand in the cookie jar and deserve a massive punishment from the Italian Federation and FIFA. If the allegations prove true, I say bar them or any other involved team from European football for 5 years and relegate them to Serie B next season. Make a friggin' statement, in other words.

Shevchenko has allegedly said he's got eyes for the Premiership, so AC Milan may be losing him whether they were involved or not.

11. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sounds like something from Dream Team.

12. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    have fun in Serie B Paddy

13. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    That would be too good to be true.

14. Jeff L

Jeff L Member

May 12, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If you read PV4's book he mentions his transfer to AC Milan which was more or less done without any imput from him. It gives a slight insight into the murky world of transfers, and also Italian football.

15. goonsquad

goonsquad Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think that some of the players have a clause in their contract that would allow them to leave in the event that Juve were relegated?

16. deeplennon

deeplennon Member

Jun 15, 2005
    Seattle
    Seems doubtful, if only because who could forsee it.

I'm surprised this is coming out now, I thought it was already known that Juve (and Milan) have had a heavy influence on which refs work their games.

I read once, in the book 'the globalization of soccer', that there are two officials that pick the refs for Serie A matches, one that represents Juve and Milan, and one that represents the other 18 clubs...

One has to believe Berlusconi has something to do with the wire tapping of Juve's phones...

17. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I bet Paddy loved reading about the capacity crowds at Highbury as we stormed to take 4th spot from Spurs on the last day. All that while he played in front of marginal crowds. Those are sure to simply skyrocket while they run away with Serie B...though I doubt they'd ever get sent down.

18. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    AC Milan and Lazio got relegated to Serie B for something similar (i think) in the 80s, so it has happened

19. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    To get an idea of how harsh a punishment Juventus will receive, try hitting yourself in the butt as hard as you can. Didn't hurt much, did it?

Juventus won't get relegated. My guess is that nobody will get relegated. Without relegation, I don't think there will be an exodus of talent from Serie A. I do think it will stop some of the big money teams in the league from being very active in the transfer market over the summer.

Outside of the EPL, Serie A is my favorite. I think it just boils down to which league a person is willing to put forth the effort to see/follow/understand etc.

20. emirates777

emirates777 New Member

May 16, 2005
    I am sure Paddy regrets leaving Arsenal now. His Juve experiences haven't been too great (fights with Zlatan) and his form has dipped towards the end of the season. I would love to hear what he says when Arsenal plays the champions league final. If he stayed it could have been him lifting that trophy in Paris

I was pretty angry and sad when he left, but now I can see it was the right decision and Arsene was proved correct once again.

I hope Thierry realises there is no place like Arsenal, where he can call the shots and lead us for many years to come.

21. amaranto

amaranto Member

Jan 22, 2004
    Even with the scandal, playing for Juventus probably isn't the worse gig a guy could have. I doubt he is crying himself to sleep every night :)

22. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Juve has been excused of this kind of stuff over and over again AND nothing ever serious gets done.

pity.

I see a ton of great players avoiding Serie A and heading to the EPL and La Liga.

23. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way. Juve have way too much money to be relegated. If this is true then Juve deserve to be heavily punished but I cannot see relegation coming for Juve. Sad times to be a Juve fan.

24. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    If found guilty they might dock them 10 points or so. So they start the season on -10.
    I think they did something similar to Cameroon at the start of this WC campaign.
    I am probably wrong about the country but it was an African team.

25. Shen-O

Shen-O Guest

I hate Juventus. This whole scandal thing does nothing, since I already think Juve have everything rigged to their favor. Anti-Juve sempre.