Match 7 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by soccernutter, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They record these songs in the first hour after a match, isn't that bad in my eyes. Typical German hip hop (imo miles ahead of this plastic stuff from the u.s.).

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfJnqbudMzs"]YouTube- 2010 Kia Soul Hamster Commercial | Black Sheep Kia Hamsters Video[/ame]

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ich marked the important part.

4. Kadija

Kadija New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I've enjoyed the game so very much, just amazing!!! :D

5. TariboWest33

TariboWest33 Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Australia isn't so bad team, versus Ghana it'll be different story

6. futbol_dude3

futbol_dude3 Member

Jul 15, 2006
    Sorry this is probably a stupid question but what software do you use to watch? Neither media player or quicktime work. danke

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I haven't downloaded it yet, but this sounds like you don't have the proper codecs. So you either download a codec-pack of some sort, or just use the VLC player which comes equipped with most codecs.

8. cms79

cms79 Member

Nov 25, 1998
    NYC
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No it won't, Ghana's speed will confuse AUS, Ghana won't score 4 but with 1 or 2 is enough, because without Cahill AUS have no spark.

9. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    Try VLC mediaplayer, it plays almost anything. Google it, its free

10. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I was thinking this during the game- if any striker bar Klose had been started we could've been down 4-0 at the break! :eek:

11. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well hopefully Kewell will take over where Cahill left off in terms of attack. ;)

12. Kimmyongguk

Kimmyongguk Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Beijing
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I thought Lahm, Ozil and Mueller played extremely well (Lahm really deserves to be the Spielfuhrer), Podolski was good enough, Neuer was very solid, Khedira, Schweini need to do better, Marin hasn't been tested, Gomez was downright awful.

Germany's defense was quite shaky at times, consider the opponent was Australia I fear they will not fare well against Ghana, Argentina and those top-tier teams. I hope Loew will address this.

Go Germany!

13. MissPepper

MissPepper New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

It was in the second half - I can't remember exactly as I don't have the game on film. An Australian (can't remember which?) headed the ball into goal inside the penalty box and the outstretched arm of a German stopped the ball and sent it flying in another direction. It looked to be on target to me, but I didn't see the replay in slow motion to decide for sure. We argued it and that ref ignored us.

14. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Get over it :rolleyes: Are you an Aussie? Aussies in my experience haven't been known to whinge over half-arsed shouts no matter how big the defeat happens to be.

Merte's arm slightly went out (he is no ballerina, clearly) as he turned his body and that's what the header hit. Not a single commentary stream I've watched said anything but that. Not a penalty.

15. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Yeah, FWIW, I frequent 5 refereeing forums on the web (one of them Australian) and most of them didn't even bother analysing that non-call. It was never a penalty - Merte's arm was in a natural position, he wasn't looking at the ball (which is a dead giveaway for intent), and the reaction time was negligible.

You won't see any referee worth his salt call that as a foul.

16. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If I recall, there was an unintentional handball (arm) on Mertesacker. Not much you can do there. His arm was not outstretched as if he was trying to prevent the ball from going in from goal.

Good call by the ref, IMHO.

17. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Ohhh, that. It wasn't intentional, I don't think, so it's not a foul. Mertesacker wasn't even looking at the ball when it hit his arm.

18. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Totally agree with benz, and Uli, about Klose. He guaranteed himself another start with his goal on Sunday but the chemistry was still not quite right with the rest of the team. It'll be interesting how that plays out as the tournament progresses.

19. Kinnoutou

Kinnoutou New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Gold Coast, AUS
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    This match was a combination to me of Germany playing brilliant and Australia playing horrible. I cannot fathom Pim's tactics and why he decided in the last minute to change things up, play numerous players out of position. There were some positives, the young guys when they came on did look aggressive and tried, Wilkshire's service to the box when we got up there was good as well.

Ultimately, Australia still has a good shot. I do not care how much people speak on how good Ghana is, but nearly every match I have watched of them against non-African teams since 2006 has been disappointing. They have no spark up front (Tagoe is awful for example), their keeper didn't even play a game last season and their back line is hardly solid (the only Serb that even pushed them, Jovanavic kept finding space, the rest of his team just lacked any bite upfront, but that is Serbia, a defensive team). Injuries to key players and players out of form for Ghana, I think we can come back. If "Aussie spirit" is anything to go by, we will come out all guns blazing (I hope). Kennedy or Ruka (depending how we want to play) with Kewell, Bresciano & Holman/Vidosic with Culina supporting behind should give Ghana trouble.

There are still 2 games to go. Ukraine in 2006 were bashed by Spain by the same scoreline and came back to make the final 8 (regardless of how it was done). Sure, we don't have traditional World Cup whipping boys like Tunisia or Saudi Arabia, but we are more than capable of beating Ghana I think and if Serbia get hammered by Germany, it will most likely be tournament over for Serbia.

I just pray that we really learn from this flogging, I really do

20. MissPepper

MissPepper New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Meh, to me it didn't look like his arm was in a natural position, but whatever. Like i said, we lost badly anyway, we played rubbish. But I still didn't like that refereeing at all.

21. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I've seen similar called, but it was unintentional - certainly no hand of Frog type of handball.

The red to Cahill was the worst call of the tourney so far - and unless it was for backchatting I don't think Valeri should have got yellow either (we did deserve to get punished for our whining but that was mostly Neill, Moore and Grella).

There are two challenges by De jong in Holland's game last night that were far worse than anything dished out in our game and he got a single yellow between them (probably correct by the ref IMHO, the tourney overall has been much better than last time in this respect).

22. Decentric

Decentric Member

Jul 16, 2006
    There are match stats up on Stattoz for the Germany/Australia game.

There are 4 tables.

1. Australia's individual stats before Cahill was sent off.
    2. Australia and Germany's team stats before Cahill was sent off.
    3. Australia's individual stats after Cahill was sent off.
    4. Australia and Germany's team stats after Cahill was sent off.

Germany appears to be the only team, other than Holland, who passed the ball more than Australia in a game against them over the last two years.

23. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Once again Valeri's stats outshone Grella's. Maybe someone could email Pim that link?

24. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There was a hand in the ball that prevented the ball from reaching the pole. But it's arguable that it was too close. But it doesn't matter because Germany created much more chances. Australia has made a lot of mistakes, by giving to much space in the midfield and allowing to many forward passes from Germany midfielders. Then, the defense line was no match for the movements of Germany's forwards.

25. Decentric

Decentric Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Over the last few years in Asian qualifiers, Grella's stats have outshone everybody else's. Against Germany it was shocking for Grella.