Match 7 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by soccernutter, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well, speculating, maybe it is because Germany's biggest weakness is their defense. Good to see Australia go for it as I think they knew that they would need goals to win this. hard to sit back on this German team without trying to go for it, and when Australia did, they sure did show how it could have been done with better finishing, then again, Germany could claim the same after Klose missed two sitters.

If I were to manage against Germany, "attack" would be my Plan A and Plan B.

2. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    loew's squad selection after the injuries (ie. none) means that kroos is the first and only guy who could play CM in case either of the 2 starting get injured, so basically this puts him on the bench. He should have come straight in for oezil otherwise, or be starting.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This may sound farfetched, but could it be possible that Pim had already given up on this game before the whistle and decided to conceal his true tactics by playing a 'new' improvised system?

4. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    If so that would be disappointing. Playing the toughest team in the group first up is always a tough ask, because a loss puts you on the back foot from the start. You really need to get as much out of it as possible (or at least minimise the damage) to set a good tone for the campaign. If we'd got a draw we'd be ecstatic. If we lost by a goal it would have been disappointing, but chin up.

Losing by 4 goals and sitting well down the bottom of the table is crushing, even before losing Cahill. While on paper qualifying still looks pretty achievable, it must look like a mountain to climb for the players.

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, That is very far-fetched...

6. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    OTOH, Finland ground you guys to a draw last year in qualifying by packing their defence whilst even Russia failed twice trying to play an attacking game. Call me a wimp, but I would have gone with that strategy. It's less likely to secure a win, but a point would have put us well on our way to the second round.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Finland match ended 3-3. Germany had to "catch up" to the 3 goals everytime....that was the difference.

8. FCBayernDM

FCBayernDM Member

May 13, 2007
    Upstate New York
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Klose saved our A$$ess 3 times in that match

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I remember in the quals for 2002 Germany couldn't defeat the Finns either (0-0 in Germany and 2-2 in Finland), and this time around 3-3 in Finland and 1-1 in Germany.

I think they got your number.

10. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They sure do...;)

11. chuckkf

chuckkf New Member

Jul 2, 2007
    Fort Worth TX USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Match 8 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Match Thread [R]

Cahill is at least Australia's top threat to score if not their best player. With Australia down 2-0 to Gernany and Cahill Red Carded I knew the game was definitely over. It would have been hard enough for the Aussie's to come back anyway without Cahill it was impossible. As far as the Red Card I think it was a bit harsh.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

It was very harsh as there was no "intent" to harm. He was pulling his legs back.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

Cahill nets on average once every two games for the national team, and the pre-tournament friendly against the USA was the first game he's scored in and we've lost.

Given that we don't score many goals (I'd guess we average maybe 1 to 1.5 a game in recent years, even with a pretty impressive WDL) that's a pretty formidable record. Unless we get lucky or something significant changes, we're pretty screwed without him - I'd venture to say he's one of the most important players to any team at the tournament.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

After reviewing the play, it was too harsh IMO. A yellow would have sufficed.

Cahill was out of position today though, it seemed to me.

15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This was the best game I saw Garcia play for Australia. He actually got the ball and did some decent stuff with it. Neill had his worst game. He was exposed in defence. Verbeek's starting line-up was weird to say the least. Culina in Cahill's position and Cahill as a striker? Cahill's sending-off was on the cards. He didn't learn his lesson from the NZ friendly. He tried to back-out this time but he got Schweinsteiger from behind.

I liked Muller and Ozil. They played well. Lahm showed once again why he is one of the best players in that German team. A great player to watch. Klose and Podolski may not be good at club level now but they showed that they deliver for their country and that's where it really counts.

16. MissPepper

MissPepper New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I can't believe the ref in this game. The red card on Cahill was ridiculous, not to mention the blatant German handball that was conveniently ignored.

Yes, we played rubbish and we deserved to lose, but what was Verbeek thinking using this untried lineup? Why didn't he include Kennedy, Kewell etc, and what the ******** was he doing putting Cahill up front by himself?? He barely got an opportunity to succeed!

Weeeeeeeeeell done. We never thought we'd win, but between the ref and the coach, you made us look weak and stupid.

17. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm pretty sure the starting lineup was this:

-------Valeri----Grella
    Emerton-----------------Culina
    ---------Cahill----Garcia

Culina was meant to be keeping tabs on Lahm, which worked for all of five minutes.

By half time it had become:

-------Grella-----Valeri
    Emerton-----Culina------Garcia
    -----------Cahill

Then:

-------Culina----Valeri
    Emerton----Holman------Garcia
    -----------Cahill

18. MissPepper

MissPepper New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The starting lineup pictured here pre-match in Australia had Cahill as the lone striker, and this is how it appear to me for the game. We were all amazed and distraught.

19. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Never trust those things - they're guesswork. When a team is out of posession the shape they take will tell you at lot more, and for most of the first half Garcia and Cahill were up front together.

20. domingo

domingo Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hanover
    Club:
    FC Hansa Rostock
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Serious question: What handball? I remember (was it Mertesacker) with his arms next to his upper body the ball being headed from maybe 80 cm against one arm. Are you talking about that one?

21. Tori Maximus

Tori Maximus Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I must have blinked and missed this. When?

22. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Here's a great article by Uli Hesse (the best English language source for German football) about the game:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/columns/story?id=796283&cc=5739&ver=global

He thinks that Cacau should start:

I happen to agree.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I can't believe Klose gets as much flack as he does. The guy was the top scorer in the 2006 World Cup and runner up in 2002. If he scores as many goals in this World Cup as he has in the last two, he will match the record for the most number of goals scored by any player in the World Cup. And while Klose is certainly deadly in the air, as the 2nd best goal scorer in German football history already, he has scored plenty of goals with his foot as well. Indeed, in the 2006 World Cup, only his 5th goal was a header.

I think Germany does well with Klose in the lineup, something highlighted by the fact that the Germans have never lost a match in which Klose has scored. (And he scored in many of their matches). To have Cacau in the mix is good. But I believe Klose should typically start for Germany and be kept in the match until the Germans have at least taken the lead.

24. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Cacau scored by far the easiest chance of the match, perfectly weighted ball to him with no pressure and he was even closer than Klose on his other chance that he fluffed. Man, he's almost the version of Fritz in terms of overrating a player before the tournament...

25. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    Might be true, but Klose's performance cerainly didn't justify Low's preference on him. And although considering the final score one might say that it doesn't really matter, it will matter agains tougher opponents. You cannot have your striker missing 3-4 sitters and hope that every time things will work out as they did in this game.