Match 7 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by soccernutter, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Brehme

Brehme Member

May 16, 2006
    Re: Match 8 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Match Thread [R]

Might be true for some teams but not for Germany. Destroyed Yugoslavia in their first group game in 1990 and won it all, outclassed Saudi Arabia in the first group game in 02 and advanced to the Finals.

The biggest concer of this german team is that they're most likely too young to win it all. Well, you never know but against big teams this COULD be a disadvantage.
    And it's not getting older after the WC as the team will be filled up with the likes of Hummels, Beck, Adler, Höwedes in defense and the generation of U-19 European Champions with the Bender twins or Holtby, having the U-17 european champions with Buchtmann, Thy, Götze etc waiting in the background. Oh, and Kroos will get a bigger role till next Euro, this guy is the biggest german talent since Bernd Schuster and hopefully he will get the chance to show some of his skills in this World Cup already.

But let's not talk too much about advancing deep in the tournament, Serbia will be a much tougher task for Germany. Similar to the last Euro, when they had big problems with a very compact team like Croatia after comfortably beating Poland. We don't really like to play these teams from the Balkans.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

They have the tendency to not get over complacent which is why they are the most consistent team in the world going into major tournaments. I hope they do not make such a mistake.

3. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    very well done, germany! can't wait to see them beat serbia and ghana, usa, argentina, netherlands, brazil, whoever, this team is nor afraid of anyone in this WC! Still long way to go, 6 victorys left for the title!! GOOO GERMANY!!!

4. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

Haha, this time Marko "magic Messi" Marin didn't show his world-class, but he will do in the close matches. Today even the benchwarm sissie Klose was enough to score. Klose. :D :cool:

5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I honestly hardly felt any sympathy. They played a rugby match most of the game as they couldn't stop the attacks, they simply tackled the players rather than the ball for most of the match. The red was undeserved, it should of been a yellow.

6. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2010 Australia = 2006 USA

Way to wild and will have at least one more player sent off and they just aren't that good.

7. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Here's the actual average tactical line up:

[​IMG]

More here.

8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The advance of the Australian fullbacks explains why it was so easy for Mueller and Podolski to get in behind them or exploit the channels.

9. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    true, but it was still Germany vs. Australia and not Germany vs. Germany, those times are over^^. Maybe you can correct that.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If you cannot run, you shouldn't advance.

11. KrimsonTide

KrimsonTide New Member

Jan 6, 2004
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This was the most convincing opening performance by the Germans (=my team) since 1990. Even though it was "only" Australia.

This german squad has it's weaknesses. But it also has a lot to build upon. Much more, than i'm used to. Müller is awesome, Schweinsteiger is great, Lahm is rock-solid. The fact that they displayed their hunger, in contrast to 2008, makes me very optimistic.

So Serbia is next. If we beat them, which i think we have a very good chance to, and Ghana beats Australia or ties them, then the (physically) hardest match of the group, Germany vs. Ghana, will be not as hard as it could have been. All this looks very promising, and although i don't think Germany will win this, i'm convinced that they'll go very far.

12. NoCowsGo

NoCowsGo Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Fantastic win for Germany. Joy to watch (especially as I was supporting Germany).

Australia was not that bad. They tackled well and had good creativity. Much better than for example, Greece, Slovenia, and Algeria. Would not be surprised to see them come out with better results in the next 2 games. Also, Australia deserves credit for their heart. They played hard and tackled hard for the whole match, even when it was far out of reach and they were clearly outclassed. They ran until the end. It would have been easier to put their heads down and jog, but they did not do it. Other teams would have quit.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

7 finals reached in the WCs and another 6 in the Euros say otherwise...;)

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That's right, let's see what happens when they got to spend more time defending against the wingers and fullbacks with some class... I am NOT looking forward to that.

15. fairplay1

fairplay1 Member

May 3, 2005
    Austrlia's biggest mistake was to go counter punching with a team like Germany, do they think they are Brazil? They thought too big of themselves. They should have had a much more compact and more defensive game plan to have any chance against Germany.

16. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Like I said....
    Did the Aussies even have one shot on target after Cahill's header in the opening 5 minutes? Rely on bullying tactis and aggression and little else, worse team at the World Cup confirmed and the result proves it.

17. Cbronx67

Cbronx67 New Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Yes I agree.

A Complete domination of Austrlia. They looked very sluggish.

18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as it was only the defense . . . ;)

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It was a very impressive performance by Germany, more so because this German squad also showed some un-German like flair. I really liked both Muller and Ozil and there wasn't much that I disliked about this team, although their defense and new goalie still need to prove themselves.

That said, no doubt Germany were this impressive in part because of Australia playing a very naive game tactically. The Australians gave the Germans a lot of space, starting the game with a mindset that showed they believed they actually were good enough to try to pressure them, with the Australian players playing too far up and being too slow to keep up with the Germans. And that just made them an easy side for Germany to bust wide open.

As for Australia, while I don't find them even remotely as poor as some of the comments here, I doubt they have enough to rebound from this loss, especially since they will now be without Cahill (undeserved red card) and Kewell is also still not 100% fit and recovering from injury. And this group, IMO, is one of the toughest of the tournament. For all these reasons, having already a 4:0 loss on their record in the opener, Australia may indeed end up competing for the worse record in this World Cup. But that would be just one of many times when the statistics would lie. Australia are by no means among the worse in this tournament. Even with only 8 matches played so far, we have already seen much more inept sides than Australia.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Well, you can say they were dumb, but not that they were cowardly.

I don't think bunkering is in the Aussie vocabulary.

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Brazil would have been smart and played it compact...

jk :D

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I'm just completely bemused. Pim has played a formation and a starting XI that has been virtually set in stone for the last 4 years, and then in the biggest game of all he comes out and completely changes everything.

Everyone is saying we should have played a compact and defensive game. That's all we've ever played throughout qualifying! Why on earth we'd try something radically new against a team like Germany at the World Cup I have no idea.

Maybe Pim had no confidence that we'd be able to keep a clean sheet, and thought our normal strategy gave us no chance to score. I have no idea. Even throwing 10 defenders behind the ball would have been better than that mess.

23. teccomin

teccomin Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Giving Gomez time on the pitch is pointless. He will never find his form. I want to see Kroos more, especially after such a comfortable lead.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Compact, yes. Defensive? No, Australia can defend fine but they have never been a defensive team, à la Greece 2004.

25. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Well, defensive compared to the open aggressive manner that we played today.