Match 7 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by soccernutter, Jun 13, 2010.

1. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Re: Match 8 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Match Thread [R]

I want to see an Aussie player go up for a header by jumping on someone's back (what's it called?) like they do in Aussie rules.

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Re: Match 8 | Germany vs. Australia | June 13th | Post-Match Thread [R]

Guys, I am going to start deleting and potentially infracting offtopic stuff. This is a post-match thread. It is for discussing the recently completed matches.

It is not a place to talk about the background of players, or to do "find the difference" between photos of players or famous people.

For talk about upcoming games, there are pre-match threads set up for all those.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

The offside trap. Australia failed it five times in the game. FIVE times. That could have been five goals against (it was only two).

But, really, why try it again and again if you couldn't pull it once or twice?

Why, crow, why?

4. AuriVerde

AuriVerde Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Fortaleza-CE,Brasil
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro

Great game by Germany.So far,They were easily the best team.

5. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

Well played Germany. They were a class act.

Tactical errors by the coach, and bad performances by quite a few players. We deserved the loss thoroughly.

Ref really didnt help us, and the red unfairly effects the next match for us.

Only the opening game I suppose, so we shall see what happens.

6. zhuangzi

zhuangzi Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

Carney's a winger, he's a nominal LB in this squad because there's literally no one else. Milligan or Beauchamp should start for Moore.

7. jimbregas

jimbregas Member

May 20, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

One of the Greek CBs (Avraam Papadopoulos) was born in Australia. Good pickup.

One word: Holminho.
    Beauchamp needs to be in there instead of Moore.
    IMO Garcia shouldn't even be near the bench, let alone the field, let alone the starting XI.

8. deyna199

deyna199 Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

As for the match, that was no red card, but I think the scoreline would have been the same regardless. If there was no red card, Germany wouldn't have stopped playing at around 70-80 minutes. After the Cacau goal, only Marin and Gomez wanted more goals....the rest of the team just wanted to finish it out.

Muller was impressive, he seems kind of an awkward player physically, but has excellent vision, a bit of pace and good short range passing. Ozil is a real talent as well. Podolski should of had about 3 assists this game.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

I'd think this:

--------------Schwarzer--------------
    Wilkshire---Beauchamp---Neill---Carney
    ----------Grella----Culina-------------
    ----Bresciano---Vidosic---Holman-----
    ----------------Kewell----------------

Moore and Chipperfield were just too slow, completely lost their man time and again.

Why was Cahill playing as second striker? Garcia is rubbish.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

I have to say that for me, the big winner in the German team is Müller. He was already great against Bosnia and even more so today. He's proven himself to be a real asset to the team.

And his goal reminded me a lot of his famous namesake. He stopped the ball, pushed out his butt, turned around and shot into the low corner...classical Müller :D:D:D

11. raviept

raviept Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Braga
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Personally, i enjoyed seeing Germany playing. First touch playing and some top class players make them a trully candidate to the world cup. As one portuguese coach said: "Football is 11 agaisnt 11 and Germany wins world cups."

12. FCK4ever

FCK4ever Member

Jun 17, 2007
    In the heart of the
    Germany played great. The best game I may have ever seen by a german team. Haven't said that its a long way to go. One down, six games wins to go.

13. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    If Germany tops this group we're looking at a Germany x Argentina quarter-final match-up if both of them keep going. That's mouth-watering for so many reasons.

Ozil stood out to me and Muller even more so. This kind of offense will seriously threaten Argentina, and of course Argentina's offense cna threaten anyone.

Having said Germany are not a lock for first place - as at least one person said in the game thread this group could see 3 teams on 6 points. Then again Australia could wake up and spoil things for Serbia and Ghana. If Germany beats Serbia though in the second set of games, that'll be quite a statement for this young team.

14. c0nd0ms

c0nd0ms New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I agree, to leave Scott McDonald out of the team was a stupid decision, I also think to have cahill who is an attacking midfielder as a loan striker was a stupid decision. I have been saying for ages that Pim Verbeek is S*** and I dont mind saying it over and over again. Our team would be better without this man coaching it and I for one cant wait until the end of the world cup so we can get a decent coach for the aussie team.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada

I wouldn't discount Australia yet. They were a much better team in quals, when they defeated Japan (which also was a better team back then than it has been in the prep friendlies).

The coach, Verbeek, has been experimenting and playing his men out of position since then. That's why they have looked so bad of late. But this may be a wake-up call.

Otherwise, you won't have to wait until the end of the World Cup to start looking for a better coach.

16. HokieCarrie

HokieCarrie New Member

Jun 12, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'll give you that. Not to mention that Australia has been dealing with injuries and the assault of bookings today. While they were quite sub-par today, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they can maybe turn things around.

On the German side..I have a feeling everyone will be singing the praises of Mueller for years to come. The kid has mad potential, and at only 20..god its terrifying.

17. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Then you apparently didn't see many of them...:p

We were surely good tonight, but let's not forget that these Aussies were a lot worse than expected (well, Pim isn't Guus:) ... especially the lack of pace was more than evident (most of their players are simply too old & therefore pretty slow). And when even their actually good goalie starts producing lethal mistakes, there's no surprise they don't stand a chance against a fast & gifted German offense.

PS: The red card for Cahill was very harsh, so I hope he won't be banned for the next 2 games.

18. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Oh God... :confused:

19. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    this australian team is also largely the same from the 2006 team. except 4 years older. :eek:

20. Mighty Dutch

Mighty Dutch Red Card

May 1, 2010
    Aside from the defense I dont think Australia played all that badly.
    They created quite a few decent chances

21. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Australia's biggest problem was their fail offside trap. I don't think I've ever seen a worse one.

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Our problem was that our defence is ludicrously slow. The offside trap was merely a symptom of that.

23. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    that's only because we don't play the offside trap... :D

24. special_one

special_one New Member

May 11, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Well done, "typical ruthless German efficency" lol

I can't wait for the Germany vs Ghana game

25. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Right now that sounds intriguing but I'm still not sold on Ghana. Serbia only lost because of the handball, and everyone knew that Serbia was an all defense - no offense kind of team anyways. I still think Serbia can get out of the group with a 1-1-1 record by tying Germany and beating Australia. Even with no Cahill I'm still picking Australia over Ghana and I'm definitely going with Serbia to play to a 0-0 draw with Germany. If this is the case than just like I feel now, come time for 3rd matches for this group everyone will be alive with no auto-ins through 2 games.