Match 63 (3rd Place) - Uruguay v Germany - Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    Re: Match 63 (3rd Place) - Loser 61 v Loser 62 - Pre-Match Thread

This game often gets derided but I can't remember a dull 3rd place game in the WC.

2. SpaniardFC

SpaniardFC Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Vilagarcía de Arousa
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Back injury might sideline Klose

ERASMIA, South Africa -- Germany striker Miroslav Klose could miss the third-place match against Uruguay because of injury, and with it lose a chance to take over as top scorer in World Cup history.
    Assistant coach Hansi Flick says Klose has a back injury and could miss Saturday's game in Port Elizabeth.
    Klose needs one goal to match Ronaldo's record of 15 for Brazil.
    After Germany's 1-0 loss to Spain in Wednesday's semifinal, Klose said he was eager to play and mentioned no injury.
    Flick says midfielders Sami Khedira and Mesut Oezil also have some problems, but declined to give details

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-...av-klose-miss-third-place-game?cc=5901&ver=us

3. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

Uruguay will go all out to win it

4. Iforgotwhat8wasfor

Jun 28, 2007
    And we all know what that means!:eek:

5. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What Injury? Klose had almost nothing to do against Spain. That's ridiculous. Same with Khedira and Özil. They were almost invisible, still they are "injured", by what exactly, getting blisters or what?? If they had made it to the final, everybody would be fit as a fiddle now. I have the feeling, they just dont want to play the 3rd Place game anymore. That's probably more of an humiliation for them than go right away into vacation...

6. Slotback

Slotback Member

Jun 19, 2004
    I suspect that this match will feature a lot of the reserves and both teams just playing fast and loose, since nothing is on the line.

7. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I would like to see the rules changed to allow more subs for the third place game. It would let us see the greats as well as give some of the last bench players a chance to play in the WC.

8. Conifeertje

Conifeertje Member

Apr 29, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It is a humiliation to most countries that are expected to reach the SF. It's still a great honor to teams not expected to get this far at the start of the tourney. Uruguay will probably seize this opportunity for this reason.

9. imj0257

imj0257 New Member

Apr 6, 2009
    DFW,TX
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany 3 - 1 Uruguay

Klose, Muller, Ozil - Forlan

10. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Great idea! :D
    The FIFA 'rulers', +70 years old think radio is advanced idea :(

11. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think Uruguay will take this game as if it was a friendly.
    3rd place means a lot to them.

12. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yep. And let's not forget that their 2nd top striker Suarez is back...

Let's hope that Germany is gonna take this game as serious as in 2006 (even though I have certain doubts), so we can enjoy a good & entertaining match. A few German "first eleven" players missed the last training session, so I wouldn't be surprised to see some new guys in the starting line-up...

Btw: Paul, the octopus, predicted a German win, but it took him a while to make his decision ... so we're probably facing a pk shoot-out with the typical German luck (or let's call it 'mental strength')! :))

13. ade2004

ade2004 New Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's gonna be a tough match, I wish uruguay made it to the final. Although their performance this year nullifies my belief that the 2 woirld cup wins they had were flukes, especially the 1930 one because there were what only 4 teams?

14. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “The day before their third-place tilt, Germany and Uruguay both said that they’re taking very seriously what is often considered a low-pressure opening act for the final. Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez went so far as to say that his squad will “fight to the death” on Saturday. His German counterpart Joachim Loew also said that his side will be approaching the match looking to win, suggesting that Die Mannschaft’s morale needs lifting after Wednesday’s 1-0 semifinal loss to Spain.”

15. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I believe that this will be a high scoring affair on both sides, 5-3 and as much as the Germans seem to be the better team on paper, I would love to see Uruguay pull off the victory. Who knows maybe Mueller and Suarez will have a goal fest and Klose can get that goal that would tie him with Ronaldo! It would be a great warm up for the next days final!!

Aupa Espanha!

16. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    The best part of this game for me is to watch both Forlan and Suarez together in the line up. That's bound to create a few moments of magic.

The team that will take this game more seriously will win it. Most likely Germany. Hope to see an open game with some spectacular goals.

17. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Should be a fun game to watch. Both teams did great at this WC. Did you think almost a final game? Uruguay its been a long time, hope to see you in 2014. Germany always seems to end up in the last 4 teams, even with Ballack and first pick Adler out.
    Good Luck. No injuries.
    BTW: Forlan and Suarez are the stars for Uruguay but I have liked the playing that Arevalo #17, has had. Great WC, made some key plays. :)

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Hup, Uruguay, Hup!

19. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    What exactly is the point of playing for third place in a WC?
    Is there such a thing as a 'bronze medal'?

If it's just for additional TV/advertiser revenue, I'm amazed American football hasn't picked up on this yet........

20. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    No doubt; he has been awesome in his position. Every great team needs an Arevalo type of a defensive midfielder. We saw what happened to Argentina.

21. Nurafshon

Nurafshon Member+

Jun 28, 2007
    Germany
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Will Suarez play in this game?

22. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Yes, he will play.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yes there is, and these are some of the most entertaining games of the tournament as neither team has anything to lose.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laxmf6Cvw6I"]YouTube- wk 2010 - Histor reclame commercial http://wk2010.us[/ame]

Hup!

25. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Apparently Klose is not starting.

Lineups:

Germany - Butt, Jansen, Friedrich, Aogo, Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Özil, Müller, Mertesacker, Cacau, Boateng

Uruguay - Muslera, Lugano, Godin, Fucile, Cavani, Suarez, Forlan, Perez, M. Pereira, Arevalo Rios, Caceres