Match 62 (SF) - Germany v Spain - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So nice to see a game where both teams are only interested in playing. Very few fouls and virtually no diving. Not quite the excitement of italy/Germany last time but technically brilliant. Please Spain win on Sunday. What does that all important octupus say? Interesteing that both finalists won all their qualifying matches to get to SA.

2. nahtstelle

nahtstelle New Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Cologne
    Well deserved win for Spain. Reasons for this dominant display were their own abilities as well as Germany showing too much respect. Iniesta, I know he gets lots of respect, but does anyone have him as a top5 player in the world? I have. Hard to find such an intelligent and technically skilled player ...

I think Löw is partly to blame for this. They were packing two lines of four players each around the own penalty box, ignoring wing players and allowing all those cross field passes. They put an emphasis on denying vertical passes down the middle and they didn't think Spain would score from a cross into the box, with no pure centre forward inside. Ironically, the goal came from corner.

Paraguay pressed Spain much harder and I think Spain showed some uncharacteristic mistakes in that game. If you don't pressure them, they'll not give you the ball.

One of the differences between Germany and Spain is that their centre backs (especially Pique) play intelligent passes (or even dribble) out of defence, whereas Friedrich and Mertesacker where intelligently encouraged by the Spanish to dribble the ball out of defense and had no answer to two, three players suddenly closing in on them at full speed once they crossed the halfway line. Friedrich ran into that trap three or four times. But I have no complaints. Both have exceeded my expectations.

Germany should have been much more aggressive from the kick off. With a goal down and Spain defending really deep, Ozil suddenly started to cut open the packed defense with his dribbling, we hadn't seen that all game when he had actually had more space. Jansen was far better than Boateng, on both ends of the pitch. Müller could have helped so much yesteday with his positive and aggressive attitude.

Anyway, little things can determine the outcome. If Ramos gets red carded like he should have and there's a free kick on the edge of the box or even a penalty (no replay could really show where the foul happened), it's a totally different game. But that's football.

I am pleased with the refs letting the game flow in the knockout stages, too bad Germany was flooded with yellow card in the group phase and eventually had to pay a big price with Müllers exclusion from the semifinal game. Next time, establish such a strategy from the very beginning so that every team is arriving in the knockout matches having been handled at identical standards.

Some may call Spain's strategy of keeping possession for minutes "boring", but it is really the best option. A game between two perfect teams is hardly gonna end 4:3. They are doing the right thing and I have huge respect for them just keeping their patience and never ignoring their basic strategy.

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The octopus predicted NL to win :D

[​IMG]

[result]OK, it's actually a fake.[/result]

4. Piscopi

Piscopi Red Card

Jul 8, 2010
    Paul always fails the final

5. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Paul's a notorious drunk anyway.

6. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Hey... does anyone know why Kroose was wearing a FIFA Fair Play badge over the top of his DFB crest?

7. RobbyRobson

RobbyRobson Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what a bad game from us. i could tell you after 10 minutes,we gona loose this one. 90% ball possession for spain speaks for itself. still, gratz to spain. hope you win the final. you deserved it.:)

8. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Congrats to Spain. What a great and near perfect game they played. They gave a new meaning to hyper football with constant attacking and essentially locking the German midfield in their own half. Very fine game plan and execution all around. If they play the same style in the final, Holland won't have much a chance. Germans have a good team and it will be a lot stronger by the next world cup. Great game all around.

9. teccomin

teccomin Member

Aug 5, 2006
    But you have to consider the circumstances when they conceded first. 1 was when they had 10 men, the other was at 75th minute. I have a feeling that Germany might score in the Spain match if the game went on for 10 more minutes.

10. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    How come Fabregas isn't playing????

11. thayil

thayil New Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Club:
    Wigan Athletic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw someone mention somewhere on the interwebs that he didn't have it on when he entered the match (didn't notice it myself til later on so I don't know if this is true or not), so maybe he found it out on the pitch? Still doesn't explain why he placed it there.

12. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I haven't made up my mind but I tend to think that Pedro should be benched for the final. His selfishness at this level is just not acceptable and could have cost Spain the game. His refusal to make that simple pass to Torres inside the box is unforgettable and unexecusable for any coach at this level. With that simple pass, 1) he could have sealed the game; 2) Help Torres lift his spirit with a goal; 3) not leave a bad rep for himself and still get plenty of credit for his assist and unselfishness.
    Had Germans been able to make a come back then his selfishness would have shown its real damage to the team.

13. RizzutoTheRat redded

Jul 8, 2010
    Agreed.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I agree that Pedro was selfish and it could have cost them the game. And yet with his mobility he provided a dimension to Spain that Torres never did in all their previous matches. And he matches up better with Holland's defense.

If I was the coach, I'd have a private talk with Pedro and really get on his ass, and if I felt I was getting to him, I would give him another chance.

15. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Before the game, I thought Fabregas to start in place of Pedro but after watching the first half I was convinced his inclusion was a good decision with the style of game they had planned. Pedro's pace and his menacing pressing in opponent's backfield when combined with Xavi and Iniesta can be a headache for any team. Overall, I liked his performance but he just can't make those mistakes.

I would too and the key factor is if you can get to him and that becomes convincingly obvious.

As far as Torres is concerned, unfortunately, he is pretty much done with this world cup. I feel bad for him but I leave him on the bench.

16. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Low as totally to blame. Spain became too comfortable on the ball and could too easily stop Germany's counterattacks. I had no problem with Germany leaving the wings to Spain, but Germany was far too static in defense. Spain had no problem working the ball around them.

Hey, I like Spain and will cheer for them in the final, but I was hoping for a better game. A classico.

Germany lacked composure and some players had bad games (Poldoski and Orzul). Suprising for a German team...at least the composure part.

Pedro was stupid on the breakaway, but he played well otherwise and should still play in the final. Torres had shown nothing in the tournament.

17. zlz_deutschland_zlz

zlz_deutschland_zlz New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    base on your information and you were wrong,yes brasil does lost at home in 1950 macarena in front of 200,000 fans they lost to uruguay in final and the whole country cried and a lot of people died though:)

18. zlz_deutschland_zlz

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    after germany lost to spain,now i will cheer for dutch team,they lost two time 1974 and 1978 so third time is charm heh?especially dutch team got robben,van bommel and some other players played for german clubs so i hope holland will beat ugly and boring spaniard team,then deutschland will get the trophy in four year in rio de janeiro 2014 though and i hope we will beat the hell out of spain in final like history of 1986 and 1990 between germany and argentina but 2014 we will beat spain 3 - 0....:p
    i support dutch because they got pretty babes....like some of my girl friends!

19. zlz_deutschland_zlz

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i cant believe jogi after we down one nil then he brough in gomez,what's a wasted and stupid coach is that?he touch the ball once and over passed for klose,germany not good and completely lost without thomas mueller....podolski,trochowski,kroos,gomez are immature and sux so bad!:cool:

20. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spain are by far the favorites after teaching the Germans how to play the game. Now I wonder what the Dutch will do. I think Van Persie has to play a great game with two goals, plus Robben and Sneider. The Dutch have an extra day of rest. If the Dutch don't score early, then I think Spain will take control.

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    :rolleyes: *sigh*

Lol...they didn't teach the Germans "how to play", they just played better.

22. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game next to a German here in the US at a bar. We were at the edge of our seats. But even with the athletic/ size advantages of the Germans, the Spanish dominated through sheer class, skill on the ball, and teamwork. The Spanish grew in confidence in the second half and it was pretty much a soccer lesson to the Germans. The players admitted as such after the game. The Germans definitely showed a new bright way of playing which I applaud, but they were exposed inthis match as still beginners in playing this intelligent brand of football, while the Spanish are at the peak of a cycle. I wondered if the Germans could be stopped, and the Spanish did it to a tee. The pressure they put on the Germans when they did not have the ball was something I did not expect either.

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Spain has some young talents coming through (Navas, Capel, Llorente, Pedro, Krkic, Granero, Camacho, etc). I don't think they will necessarily be in decline in 2014.

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Like I said, they played better.

25. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be semantics, but I think the Spanish did Germany a big favor tonight by teaching them a big lesson about the next level. Like many people, I am excited about this young German side because they have done the hard work and committed themselves to having skill on the ball and their play as a team. I think much of this credit goes to Low for both his team selection and definite drilling. However, this is a critical time for this German team. Although the score was close, Spain would not have been flattered by a 4-1 scoreline. The Germans know it. This experience is going to dent the confidence of the young germans and it will also embolden the rest of the national sides. Other teams will see how a high, fast pressing defense, plus intelligent possession can nullify the German team. So obviously, the German team has a lot of work and has learned that it has a long way to go to really develop talent that is solid, that they can count on. What is exciting is if the Germans can keep on this path through up and down, with the German methodological approach, with some of the traditional strengths
    that they have such as efficiency and speed, and combine it with the skill on the ball around the field, it could lead to a great side. I hope they do not remain a mediocre European power, but are the start of a special cycle of German football.