Match 61 (SF) - Netherlands v Uruguay - Pre-Match Thread

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jul 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I am not, fer sure!

All along, I've been avidly watching Uruguay as you lot progressed through, match after match.

Mind you, I'm a diehard Ajax supporter so my interest started with Suarez (and also to Lodeiro), but grew very rapidly with Forlan and also Fucile & Perez, and to the rest of the team.

I actually applaud the team's tactics and admire how they flow on the pitch.

Trust me, I've been watching your team like a hawk, especially your what'shisname # 10 !!

Uruguay were among my two outside teams I wish would do well (along with Japan = I love that Kawasaki guy !!!)

2. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    We respect Netherlands too cause they give our boys a shot in Eredivisie. I say thanks to Groningen who took Suarez and Ajax who took Lodeiro out of my foe Nacional :D

3. junot

junot New Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Uruguay is definitely going to miss Suarez; but after seen refs that become the twelve player for Fifa’s chosen ones it proves once again that, not only the numbers are against the four south American teams , but European clubs got plenty of help from teams that have no business in the tournament, like the Ivory coast nearly breaking Brazilian Elano’s leg , no red card there, or the Netherlands constant kicking to the Brazilian mid fielders; with no red or yellow cards given ....
    And seen an early dubious free kick awarded to Germany , complemented by a clear outside 3rd goal by Klose against Argentina (Klose was two steps ahead of the ball finally been center to the point that the centered ball hits him standing there waiting for it . the outside rule was only applied very severely to limit Brazil or Argentina or Paraguay , and lets not go into goals scored by Brazil or Paraguay or even England . ....Which brings a question..
    ! Why is it that when Fifa ,(“ the supposed embodiment of fair play “) sanctions World Cup soccer, there are way more “deliberate errors committed by the refs as well as officials “to the cost of a lot more players been injured as well as entire corruption ref scandals (just follow the money trail ) ....Events not intervened by Fifa do a lot better and cleaner job.
    With the Organizers never having to say oops! sorry fellows, we’ve messed up once again!.........

4. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for sale:

[​IMG]

It's goat brain, Indian style...

wait...is this the Food and Travel forum :)

5. sonicdream

sonicdream Member

Sep 27, 2002
    West of Suez canal
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    yes, and also quite lucky that it'll only be a one match ban, so he'll be back for the weekend.....for the Saturday match ;-)

But seriously, I think you should keep an eye out for a solid replacement on left back. I think you guys would miss Fucile a lot.

As for the match, I think a good amount of possession will be in the Uruguayan half, but not necessarily always threatening on goal. The imminent danger for our Dutch team is to watch out for the very quick sprints down the flanks, and then try to pry open our central defense with precision passes.

6. dhakaia

dhakaia New Member

Jul 2, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Forlan has a tendency of scoring goals real late... just ask liverpool ;)! So I hope the Dutch doesn't let off the gas, as they've been known to... if they do get an early goal.

7. fairwitness

fairwitness New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Wouldn't mind seeing a Uruguay defender give Robben something legitimate to jump, flop, roll...and roll...and roll...and grimace about. Other than that, best of luck to both teams.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm Dutch and I know absolutely no-one who thinks that this will be easy. Neither have I heard any of the media say that this is going to be easy. Neither have I heard the team say anything about this being easy. The Dutch coach literally said that Uruguay are a great side with a lot of spirit that we the Dutch can learn a thing or two from.

Look I know it's popular to say the Dutch are arrogant but at this tournament that's just not based on facts.

9. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

You are joking right? Stekelenburg is the keeper of the tournament so far. Didn't you see the saves vs Slovakia and the Kaka save vs Brazil which was the best save in this World Cup imo. There are rumors Bayern München and Manchester United are interested in him. Muslera even needed Luis Suarez to save his butt vs Ghana.

10. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed. I also think the match will be very difficult for us, even with the players Uruguay are missing. In fact, as we have seen with Ballack, forced replacements may actually result in a positive change.

Also, most of my friends who follow football think it will be hard tonight. It's only those Dutch who don't really follow football (except during the WC) who think this will be a walkover. I agree that Holland are favorite although not quite as much as is reflected in the odds (according to the bookies Holland are about 75% to progress with Uruguay at 25%).

P.S. LOL at the claim that Uruguay have better players than Holland at every single position...

11. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk

The great Stekelenburg who could of quite easily lost his starting place had Van Der Sar answered the call? :rolleyes:

A near 40yr old Van Der Sar would of still been ahead of a much younger Stekelenburg. That's telling me Van Der Sar is still playing great (which he is), but also the coach isn't too confident with Stekelenburg. Sorry to burst your bubble, but no, Stekelenburg isn't better then Muslera. I'm not saying Stekelenburg's bad, just he isn't on the same level as Muslera.

Try watching abit of Serie A ;)

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/wo...ester-united-goalkeeper-edwin-van-der-sar-to-

"The giant shot-stopper has inked a new one-year deal to play on at Old Trafford next season, but recently turned down an offer from head coach Bert van Maarwijk to take the number one spot for the nation at the world cup"

12. Overtkill

Overtkill New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Stekelenburg has been the GK of the tournament so far, I agree. Together with maybe Neuer (as a German I can't have nothing but trust in him) and Casillas.

Have you seen Stekelenburg stop Kaka's magnificent shot? And I can name many others.

13. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I've said some bad things about South Americans on these boards in the past and I'd like to remind you all of it :D

Nah, j/k.

It will be a difficult game for us. Every game so far has been, so why shouldn't this be?

14. Penarol1916

Penarol1916 Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I'd say that is pretty close to correct, you could make the case that it should be slightly closer in terms of favorites, but with a gutted defense (Even if Lugano and Godin start, who know how fit they really are), I think that those odds are pretty fair. With both sides at full strength, I'd probably put it closer to 60%-40%, maybe 55-45 if you feel strongly about Uruguay in PKs.

Are the lineups for the game out yet?

15. vhatever

vhatever Red Card

Jun 16, 2010
    USA
    Uruguay is going to have to probably play some very tight bunkerball with no mistakes, and take every advantage they can to get a free/corner kick on the Dutch side and hope for some Forlan magic. If Forlan scores and beats netherlands, he will go down as an epic Maradona-like player. Definitely will get my vote for the golden ball!

Unfortunately, I think it's highly unlikely. Like 10% chance. Sorry, just call it like i see. I'd give them 25-30% if they had suarez and everyone was healthy.

16. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    you're misinformed, when vds won uefa's club goalkeeper of the year (2008-2009) and best european goalkeeper (2009), barclays golden glove (2008-2009) etc. as well as breaking that all-time record many people feel with van der sar we would have been even better.

this was around the same period that stekelenburg had an injury that saw him sidelined while his replacement/back-up at ajax (vermeer) played some terrific matches that saw stekelenburg being subbed for a while even when he was fit again.

van marwijk never turned to vds or asked if he would re-think about his retirement of the nt, vds has always made it clear that stekelenburg was his apprentice and that he's the one that should go into this wc as #1.

vds even went as far as recommending him to ferguson a few months ago as his replacement at man utd. when/if/should he retires.

17. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    confirmed

is it just me or does this look very very defensive?

18. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    We Dutch are honest and direct, and not hypocrite
    If we think that Uruguay will be no problem for us, we'll say uruguay will be no problem for us.
    The most people from other countries can think like that but they say it will be very difficult, Uruguay is a very strong opponent.

And in my opinion we should beat Uruguay, at least we'll get a draw, and with penalties you never know.
    The only chance we can lose is when we have a very bad day and Uruguay rises above their level.

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: Match 61 (SF) - Winner 57 v Winner 58 - Pre-Match Thread

The irony of that guys post is hilarious, and I can only assume s/he has never been to Holland.

I, on the other hand, will be in Amsterdam over this weekend. I also got Holland in a draw with friends. So they had better not f'k up tonight :)! Being in Holland, if they make the final, will be unbelievable.

It's turning into a bit of a cliché the last few weeks, but the Dutch really are playing quite similar to German teams of old, and the Germans to Dutch teams of old.
    The Dutch might have borderline perfect English, but you are such a 'mechanical society of engineers' that I can't help but find it hilarious. :D

20. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    it is. but its what we played throughout the qualifiers. I would change Gargano for Nacho Gonzales though

21. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Any news on Dutch formation? I'd assume that given Suarez's absence, the Dutch could afford to play a man mark on Forlan in some type of 4-4-2. At least that's what I'd do.

22. jwa254

jwa254 New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    So is there anyone who favors Uruguay in this contest?

23. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most of the Spanish-speaking world, i imagine...

24. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    3.5 million in Uruguay do and some others in South American. The best chance for them is with Forlan's free/set piece kicks. Sneijder is the Dutch counter for him.
    I am hopeing that there are no injuries in the game, and a good Ref. :)

25. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Excitement is slowly getting to me. Just a few more hours.