Match 58 (QF) - Uruguay v Ghana - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by JaredSS07, Jul 2, 2010.

1. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah, that's defense.

You think that this is a lot? Where were you in 2006? 3 yellows to the same player in one match, and the ref is still working EPL matches. Ghana diving in their last group match against the US, diving earning a pk and red carding Gooch, they win, we go home.... diving all over the place, and the usual allotment of other missed calls, and you call this Cup "a lot?" REALLY? Maybe a lot to folks who HAVE ENEVR WATCHED EITHER THE CUP OR A MATCH BEFORE. But for the rest of us, we accept the game for what it is, and are not about to jump ship or get turned off like some newbies... THAT is the difference.

Soccer isn't for you, man.

ps: and an offsides call that negated a US goal against Italy was also 2006. Move on.

2. AlexLOGIC

AlexLOGIC New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You are proving my point. I think there was a lot this time, you think there was even more last time.

3. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How am I proving your point? Your point is that the rules need to be changed for a very vocal minority of partisans and newbs. Over my dead body.

Ya don't like it? Don't watch it.

4. AlexLOGIC

AlexLOGIC New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You just pointed out all the mistakes made from 2006. I think the mistakes get magnified because of the low scoring nature of soccer. Let them play.

5. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We did. You're still complaining.

Can you imagine a Belgian demanding that the rules in basbeall be changed to make the game more appealing? Or a Cuban complaining that a rule needs to be changed because in the first inning it disallowed a winning run against the US, but they left the bases loaded for the next 8 as well as extra innings?? Yeah, it's like that. The first party should be ignored as a newb minority, and the second party should have won it on their own given the multiple opportunities.

Really, man, soccer isn't for you.

6. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Dude- You need a new handle, because your logic is impenetrable. You continue to argue from the wrong assumptions, and to ignore the obvious.

7. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't a thread dedicated to the Laws of the Game. If you aren't actually discussing the Uruguay v Ghana match, take your discussion elsewhere.

8. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    But Jared- You agree about the bogus foul called in the 120th minute, right? Plain as day that there was no contact.

9. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    There is a legend on this board, especially among American fans which claims that Ghana "bogus" PK against US in 2006 is what made them go in the 2nd round. That's wrong, they only needed a draw to advance. Without that penalty, what would have changed? Nothing! (BTW, nobody got a red card during that match).
    Before the match, It was a must win match only for the US (which might have not been enough, had Czech and Italy tied ). But they had only three shot on goals, less than their opponents and were rarely dangerous, they basically played a friendly against Ghana.
    We often hear these fans blaming this match and the one against Italy (where they claimed to have been cheated too) for their elimination but rarely their heavy loss in their opening match against the Czech ( which is IMO, the one to blame), a team which caused absolutely no problems for the group winner and the runner-up.:confused:

10. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The offsides call against McBride that disallowed the goal by Beasley against Italy was the right call.
    I'm sorry, but the US played that match cautiously because of the tossing of yellows that had happened up to that point and eventually throughout the entire Cup. I don't forget what happened, and that's the point. Ghana dove then, and dove now. I hate divers, whether they do it, get away with it, and profit or not, or whether they do it and don't get away with it.
    With regards to Gooch, I stand corrected. I do, however, remember him not wanting to get very close to a Ghanian, and basicallty disappearing for the second half. However, as the Uruguay match shows, you can have a meter of grass between you and a Ghanian, and you will still be called for a foul.

11. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The new Ghanian national flag:
    [​IMG]

12. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This thread may still going strong by 2014 WC, and still no resolution. ;)

13. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Great! It's what keeps the sport (and the teams with bad blood between them) going!

14. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    The Battle of Johannesburg

The Battle of Johannesburg
    [ame="http://www.******************.com/?v=77DCPMAH"]****************** - I'm watching it[/ame]

15. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Playing cautiously a MUST win match? A match where you've got nothing to lose ? Then they deserved what they got then!:D Yeah, those bookings would have been unfortunate (they could have missed the next Gold Cup match ). I mean, what kind of player would risk getting a red card or getting suspended for the next match in order to have his advancing to the next round ..? Wait a minute!... A Hero!:)
    As for Ghana, they've still a lot to learn in what is concerning diving especially from the likes of Dempsey and particulary Altidore (who managed in the 2nd round to have a Ghanaian to miss the next match thanks his incredible piece of acting);).

P.S: I was being scarcastic.
    Sorry for the O.T

16. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When you have a yellow and 45 minutes left... yes, you play cautiously, if your coach even allows you to continue. Playing cautiously as a defender is better than your team having to play a man down.

No love for Dempsey from me, man. I'd still hate him diving or not.

17. jogger

jogger Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Fine, thought you were speaking about the yellows in the previous matches who could have got the players suspended for an eventual 2n round.;)

18. Domination7

Domination7 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK so that other guys analogy with stopping a goal is like being a murderer made more sense? :confused: LOL

19. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/africa/10537133.stm

But here's the money quote:

Is FIFA going to ban all of Africa? :D

20. Domination7

Domination7 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats crap.

Ghana was treated more than fair and at times prefferentially. They're out of the cup because they can't capitalize on situations that they should. They have no one to blame but themselves.

21. AlexLOGIC

AlexLOGIC New Member

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Impenetrable logic is actually a good thing, no?

A Brief recap of my position.

I stated the offside rules should be simplified, (somehow). The reason? So that fans get less agitated by the replays.

In my opinion Suarez is not a cheater. However, because it has made some people feel like Suarez somehow cheated, the rules should be revisited for that particular type of handball. Some fans such as myself believe that Suarez created a benefit for his team by handballing, and that does seem to go against the spirit of soccer and the non use of the arms.

Issues that should be covered by FIFA specifically because of the Ghana vs Uruguay game include: end of game handballs that prevent a 100% certain goal, especially a raised arm that prevents a goal.

Should anything less than an auto goal be required?

Ironically, the play leading up to this play appears to have been just as dishonest, a fake fall, a fake "elbow ball" of the ball out bounds by Ghana.

I am just as alarmed that the prior play has gone unnoticed as I am alarmed that a player can be rewarded for using his arm to prevent a goal.

My belief is that FIFA has to stay the course for now, but will review and make changes after the World Cup is over regarding end of game handballs, handballs in the net, RAISED ARM handballs versus incidental handballs.

Possibly the offsides rule as well not because they are bad rules, but because instant replay can rile up so many fans so quickly when a call is missed.

22. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    I heard an allusion to the youth tournaments Ghana has done well in. Hey, isn't it the African teams that are often thought of fielding "older" youngsters??

23. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    like in basketball with goal tending - if there is a hand ball as the ball is going into the goal, maybe the rules should be changed such that the goal should still be awarded.

while a handball in the 18 should still merit a penalty, a hand ball in front of the goal should be considered an automatic goal.

that can prevent future "Hand of Suarez" situations. In the past 4 years, i only saw this happen one other time by Ludovic Giuly when playing for either Barca or Roma.

any thoughts???

24. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    Suarez handled the ball, and by doing that he was sent-off and Ghana were awarded a penalty. That is punishment enough, and I can't understand what all this fuss is about. What else should they do, hang him from an apple tree?
    And Suarez didn't cheat; it would have been cheating if the ref missed the handball, but that's not the case. The most annoying thing is that there is all this fuss about nothing, only because Ghana missed the semi-finals, but they only have theirselves to blame for that, not Suarez, not the rules.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what i am still shocked about is how the ghana captain only took one step for his penalty and angled himself in such a telegraphed position.

were the other players on ghana that horrible in taking penalties?