Match 57: Netherlands vs. Argentina [QF]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Knockout Stage' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 3, 2022.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Just a game? It is more than that, it is history and that is what makes it fun. I am sure the French don't like the Germans when the whistle is blown and they kick off. Our frog friend just won't admit that.

2. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    No problem. Your point about the CONMEBOL consciousness is a good one.

3. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Yep, 1986 wouldn't be the same without the backdrop of the Argentina-England war. Then you have the boycotts by some countries, within-team political aspects, e.g. Brazil. I don't mind at all the players getting political or emotional. Let them live a little. FIFA needs to relax.

4. Actually since 2006 that isnot the case anymore, when we with some hesitance admitted it was fun to watch Germany play.

5. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Because of what ? WWI or WWII ? Quite frankly, no one gives a sh!t about it when there's a France vs Germany game because the oldest generations are gone and the newest only know these events through what they learn at school...

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #481 argentine soccer fan, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    Filth? I thought Argentina showed composure in the extra time, creating scoring chances time after time, ending with the one that hit the post. All the Dutch could do, after their great comeback in regular time, was crowd their own penalty area, and hope our players missed. And then the penalties were all well executed -but one - while our goalie superbly stopped two well taken shots from the opposition.

It was a superb ending to the match by Argentina, overcoming the emotions of a goal scored brilliantly but ridiculously in the 111th minute of regular time.

I think our guys took the match with an outstanding finish, under very difficult circumstances. I’m sad that as a fan of the game you are unable to appreciate such a great ending, and resort to call it filth. It’s you prejudice, and your loss.

majspike, megamac20817 and Burr repped this.
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You’re probably right. Even Rijkaard and Voller did a commercial together.

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    wow, great post

As an "argentine", I really appreciated
    :p:cool:

9. Fancy Suspect

Fancy Suspect Member

None
    France
    Oct 3, 2022

What if there are 2 french guys out of 2 telling you the same?
    Because I totally agree with him xD

We have no real football rivals at the moment, and in my opinion it doesn’t take away any hype for the sport. The only thing it takes away is nonsensical hate towards our neighbours.

I think europeans in general are less patriotic compared to americans or africans, I won’t expand much more on that as it has nothing to do with the World Cup, but you can have sportsmanship and great fun without toxic atmospheres if you ask me :thumbsup:

Hayaka, babaorum and N. Platini repped this.
  10. Crisstti

Crisstti Member+

May 29, 2010
    Chile
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They need new matches, to renew their rivalry. Same thing with France-Germany. The European system for qualifications cools things off too much.

11. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    LOL

We have a lot of love for Chile, despite you not being our neighbor.

CHI CHI CHI...

Crisstti repped this.
  12. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since 2006? You ain't slick, I remember the Dutch booing Germany's anthem in 2018 (Nations League) :D

13. Booing isnot hating.
    Before 2006 the relation, when it was about football, was very toxic.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  14. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    These days we especially hate the Portuguese. Compared to those games I felt the Argentina game was pretty acceptable overall, I did not come out of it feeling particularly angry, just bummed. But no one cheats & time wastes like the Portuguese do. Worst part is they have our number, they beat us every ********ing time.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  15. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basically, you all took a look at Jogi Löw's Germany actually daring to be enjoyable and decided, "Hey, maybe they don't actively hate football after all!" :D

16. Fancy Suspect

Fancy Suspect Member

None
    France
    Oct 3, 2022

The Battle of Nuremberg man :ROFLMAO: Still cracks me up to this day

17. :ROFLMAO:
    You nailed it:)

18. That match is etched in football's collective memory and now it has got company of the 2022 Argentina vs the Orange Squad match.