Match 56: Portugal (H1) vs. Switzerland (G2)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2022 - Knockout Stage' started by Paul Calixte, Dec 3, 2022.

1. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree. I think he should be situational/super sub going forward. Could he suck it up and deal with it? I do not know....

soccernutter repped this.
  2. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe being benched on the national team too will be the eye opener he needs.

Anti Santos and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Portugal's attacking prowess is much superior to Spain's.

Spain never had goals in them against competent opposition. That 7-0 win over Costa Rica fooled people a bit.

vancity eagle repped this.
  4. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Still a goal yet to concede a goal under this coach to suddenly let in floodgates? Sure, a goal or two, but floodgates? Also it is very unlikely for any team to score multiple massive wins in the same tournament.

5. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Morocco won't resist such power upfront at this level. Legs are not fresh anymore few from their leaders that started the tournament won't be on the pitch. They won't lose 6-1 like Switzerland but this time they will grant 2-3 goals.

6. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    What counts as "properly decent"?

Brazil seems to be everyone's tournament favorite and they've played Serbia (FIFA #21), Switzerland (#15), Cameroon (#43) and South Korea (#28).

Is that a more noteworthy slate of opponents than Portugal's: Ghana (#61), Uruguay (#14), South Korea (#28) and Switzerland (#15)?

Switzerland won it's qualifying group over Italy and at Euro 2020 (just 17 months ago) knocked out France before losing a shootout to Spain. I'm fairly certain the Swiss and Uruguay are both properly decent.

NewLaw83 repped this.
  7. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Yeah, I wouldn't say Mexico has overachieved at all.

It's easily the second most populous country in Latin America, trailing only Brazil. They absolutely should be a country that always makes the World Cup (which they do) and occasionally goes deep at the tournament (which they don't).

NewLaw83 repped this.
  8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, that was brutal (including the 4:00 am flight out of Doha).

Congratulations to Portugal. You were much better on the night. I like Morocco but if you get past them I hope you win the whole thing.

That is a fine team you’ve got.

soccernutter, NewLaw83 and palynka repped this.
  9. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Ach. People looking at bias not at actual facts.

They will be tired. But that will have more meaning in extra time. Matches rarely repeat themselves.

10. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Portugal upfront is way better than Spain Croatia and Belgium it's just a fact. They won't miss opportunities all over the match.
    Even with their starters i wouldn't give Morocco any chance in this match up.
    Portugal has just too much on the pitch and on the bench for them.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  11. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Defenders don't matter. Gotcha.

12. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Defenders were already bunkering like their life was in the game against Croatia Belgium and Spain. They have 4 games in legs now and will face the team with most fire upfront they have to face since the beginning of the tournament. Portugal got answers to everything Morocco got. All over the pitch.

13. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    Morocco bunkering against Croatia and Belgium? :rolleyes: That's some alternative reality shit right there. They simply outplayed them. And Morocco didn't bunker against Spain either. They let Spain tiki taka the hell out of the game, while preferring a more direct approach themselves. You obviously don't know football.

I guess you are one of those possession purists.
    Morocco plays a well organised defence and doesn't care about caressing the ball. They get the ball and try to make something happen. This "bunkering team" outplayed Croatia and had more chances. The same "bunkering team" confidently disposed of Belgium.

Morocco did bunker somewhat near the end of the Spain game, but overall on balance of play had the better chance.

Morocco got answers to everything Portugal got. All over the pitch.

14. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We'll see. :cool:

Jon Stakes repped this.
  15. Jon Stakes

Jon Stakes Member+

Egypt
    Nov 18, 2022
    I respect Portugal and think they are favorites. But these people disregarding Morocco like they are a fly as stuck up. So I respect people like you who respect the opponent, instead of thrashing them and disregarding the fact they overcame four tough opponents to get to the 1/4 final, probably tougher opponents than Portugal had to face.

vancity eagle and monster- exodia repped this.
  16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I both favor and prefer Portugal to advance instead of Morocco. Morocco are a very solid side and deserve to have made it this far. I'm happy Morocco made the quarterfinal but I think that is sufficient reward for the quality of their game. They are even capable of going further, but that would IMO be at the expense of a side with much better potential to showcase what I would call truly elite level football. I don't expect a high scoring game between the two, but the odds should favor Portugal to win by something like a 2:1 scoreline.

palynka repped this.
  17. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Screenshot_2022-12-07-14-49-57-60_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

35% possession 348 passes 0 corners 16 fouls
    They bunkered whether you like it or not.
    Their chances were long distance shots from counter attacks nothing more.

You are delusionnal as always.

Portugal got way more weight than Croatia upfront.

18. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    There's always a bit of pre-game bravado, especially the day after our best game in a World Cup that I can remember. But I can guarantee you that we'll all be anxious before the game.

I think it's fair to say that for both teams this will be their hardest challenge so far. But also that we are favourites and that we believe we should win. Even if should is no guarantee, we need our A game.

Jon Stakes repped this.
  19. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    You underestimate the physical level at this step of a tournament.
    Men were dead on the pitch against Spain. Aguerd Saiss Mazraoui had to bé subbed eventhough they tried as much as they could to finish the match.
    Portugal is prepared physically for a long run they will eat them alive.

20. monster- exodia

May 23, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    you know i'v read this many times even before the beginning of the tournament , croatia is too much for us , belgium also too much , some even claimed canada will still beat us even after our two matches performance

vancity eagle repped this.
  21. monster- exodia

May 23, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    possesion without danger is nothing, we didnt bunker 30% of your possesion was Gvardiol to Lovren

Jon Stakes and vancity eagle repped this.
  22. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'm never underestimating a team that is ready to leave their heart on the pitch if they have to. I've seen it too many times. I expect an uncomfortable game for us. I hope you're right and they do run out of gas, but they'll run on fumes if they have to.

Jon Stakes and monster- exodia repped this.
  23. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Saying that Portugal has too much on the pitch for Morocco isn't disrespecting Morocco, it's just the fact.
    You said yourself After the match against Croatia that Morocco did right to sit back and not push for more and this Portugal is way more balanced upfront than Croatia is.

24. monster- exodia

May 23, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Morocco
    you still dont get it , how they are going to reach upfront?
    i will agree with you if say it like this :
    Portugal midfield is way better than Spain Croatia and Belgium it's just a fact.than we can talk about upfront quality

25. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    We had more passing précision less fouls more corners you were the one admitting After the match that you did right to sit back and not daring more and Portugal is way more dangerous than WE are upfront.
    I am not fan of Portugal i am just stating facts.
    WE didn't break your défense cause we have weaknesses upfront. Draw was a good result for us too.