Match 54 (R16) - Brazil v Chile - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Chocolate Bunny

Jun 13, 2006

Funny thing, Madrid fans are not exactly happy with Kaka either...

Just go and check "Marca" website: lots of posts complaining about Kaka and comparing him in very disfavourable terms to CR9... Some Madrid fans feel like Milan conned them on buying a washed-out, injury-prone Kake :rolleyes:

2. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Thanks! Did me proud as well! Most of this team will reach peak age in 2014 hopefully we will be there! :cool:

3. peruano_stoner

peruano_stoner New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Lima
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i would like to see mexico and USA play the south american qualifiers, that shit is freaking hard.

4. magia

magia New Member

Jan 5, 2005
    Asuncion
    Well I can´t understand why bielsa used that strategy. Anyway Chile played a good world cup.

5. DanFla

DanFla Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I think Bielsa made a big mistake dont having Maldonado on this team. He probably will be the better defensive player on the Chile middle...On the other hand he choosed a very limited player like Fierro, that is not good enough for play a WC.

6. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Congrats to Brazil. Do South America proud, I know you will. I'm very proud of my team, it was so great to see all the praise they received for their play this tournament. No shame at all in losing to the number 1 and 2 teams in the world.:cool:

7. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Let's not get Loco here :) . I think he is simply not fit yet for 90 minutes of football. He played exceptionally well in first half and everyone doubting his speed - do I need to remind you guys how he dribbled pass 4 guys?

8. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The first thing to do is NOT breaking everything, Chile is rising, their youth teams are great. ;)

9. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

That made me scratch my head as well, I'm a fan of Maldonado from his days at Santos and I reckon that he could give more strength to this midfield.

But nevertheless Chile has some very good youth coming in. I don't think you will have a problem qualifying for 2014, since we won't even participate on those qualifiers. If you could qualify with 3 spots open, you can certainly do it with 4 spots open... Plus your players will be more mature.

And I want to congratulate you to sticking to your football ideals. Unfortunately that's not a freedom we have nowadays, we must win and win and win or the pressure would be unbelievable. Though I believe that Brasil will be playing a much different style next WC , first because some of our current players won't be there because of age ( most notably Gilberto Silva, and we are producing some more creative DMFs to take his spot) and because we had the fortune of finding some nice youth material in Ganso, Neymar, Pato, Coutinho, Willian, Alex Teixeira, Renato Augusto, Carlos Eduardo, Giuliano, etc etc. Plus the WC will be at home, we must play some very convincing football to please our nation on such a unique opportunity.

10. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Chile stood out in this tournament for their philosophy, too many teams are opting for the Mourinho-style counterattack and bunker, not much variety in tactics. Brazil now have a tough route to the final as they won't meet another full force attacking team but they may face a team that is willing to play chess with them, goodness me that would be an ugly match to watch.

11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I can't believe nobody in mentioning the absence of Medel due to a bull shit yellow card against Spain. He's been fantastic and certainly you can imagine that the spaces exploited on the second and third goals would not have happened with him in there. Obviously, being a midget, he wouldn't have done anything about Juan's first, but I think he could have made a huge difference otherwise.

This Chile team is awesome. They play their game and don't take shit from anybody. And unlike what some people are saying, the team is LOADED with talented players. They SHOULD play like they are playing, absolutely. I hope it all clicks for them at Copa America and they lay a beatdown on Brazil and Argentina on their way to being champs of CONMEBOL.

Gracias, Chile!

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to agree with this. From top to bottom, Chile are a quality team with their top 13 or 14. Sanchez and Beausejour in particular, but also Gonzalez

13. Brazilian Lover

Brazilian Lover New Member

May 11, 2010
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    You guys all talk like Brazil has no heart, give us credit did you see how D.Alves was after that ball, I loved how Ramires played today, Luis F. did what he had to do. Kaka ehhh..., im getting tired of Kaka but he'll pull him self together, Big LUCIO stopping everything making plays, dribbling like crazy (LOL), also Juan he doesnt stop imprssing me. it's great. Sorry about the Chilenos, I felt bad when that camera pointed at that guy and he just murked and waved.

South Americans United. !!! Brazil zil zil zil.

14. Tomislav III

Tomislav III New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Definitely. Made me want to take a look at the Chilean league. Very impressed with Chile overall and they should hold their heads high - that bull yellow card to Medel is what I think was the reason for there losing by 3.

Better to go out like a man if your Chile than to advance by luck and ********** tactics, in my opinion because I think that they draw more people into their country as fans by playing their style.

15. peruano_stoner

peruano_stoner New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Lima
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

keep playing like this, you have this cup in the bag :)
    un abrazo

16. Dustyvinyl

Dustyvinyl Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Santa Ana,Ca
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Great game. I was impressed by Chile all out mentality; running for most of the match. I knew what to expect since i watched South American qualifiers. and they did their job.Pushing for a goal of honor is highly admirable and different from the counter attacking football. My favorite player from chile has been Jean Beausejour even in qualifiers. he had a good game.

The Absence of Gary Medel.el pitbull? really brought down their defense.

i still think the Chile should have faced Portugal.

Lucio is the shittt!!! and Ramires did a great job distributing.

17. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Chileans should remember they have a very young and "somewhat" inexperienced squad.

keep the coach, keep the players, improve in key points... and I think you will do great in the future.

key things missing from Chile is some taller defense (thats a problem that must be corrected with better positioning in set-pieces plays) and better foot calibration when shooting from afar... too many shots going too wide by Chile.

I think you would have done better if were against some other team... but I think there is a bright future ahead... or at least I hope so, because everyone in the world enjoys nice football.

18. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dani Alves was after ALL balls... all balls that he lost himself!

He is NOT doing a good Cup, but obviously, its fault of his positioning.

He said to Dunga he would accept playing ANYWHERE but goalkeeper. That shows his commitment and I praise that. But it DOES NOT MEAN that he will do good in any position, even if he tries really hard (as he is doing), and Dunga should see it.

of course, it seems reporters are even afraid of saying such thing in post-match interviews since they know Dunga will lose his mind again and start cursing on live television.

19. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    one of the things in this match that left me happy was that FINALLY Michel Bastos had a good game.

The match against Portugal was his worst yet... he would miss 2 meter unmarked masses. I thought he was done. Good thing he recovered very well in this match.

20. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Great post.

We missed our 2 key-defenders(Medel and Ponce) today.

21. Lamps>Gerrard

Lamps>Gerrard Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Medel was a red card waiting to happen, I wouldn't complain.

Even still, Chile didn't threaten the Brazil goal at all. Brazil looked comfortable throughout, and at this rate they'll comfortably win this World Cup, amazingly enough. They remind me of a Mourinho-era Chelsea or current day Inter, not so exciting, but attacks superbly well, defence as solid as a brick wall, and the ability to work fantastically well as a single unit.

22. Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1 New Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Agoura Hills
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like there were 14 yellow shirts on the pitch. Every time Beausejour, Gonzalez or Suazo had the ball there were two Brazilians on them. The Brazilian defense is amazing!

I was hoping that Chile would play like they did during the last 3-games. The first half, the Chileans had no plan. They just shot-gun the ball hoping that Julio Cesar would sneeze and let the ball in. No plan what-so-ever! Too bad, because I loved watching them play. Chile is a great little team, but Brazil is Brazil....

Last 20-minutes of second half they dominated because Brazil was up 3-0!

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
  24. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I agree that, incredibly enough, Bielsa went too conservative in his tactics with no enganche.
    Not only should he have played with one, he should have played with two. Even after Valdivia came in, it was constantly one on two against the double pivot of the Brazilian midfield. If If he had lined up with a 3-2-4-1 and Matigol in there too, they would have gotten more interplay between the two of them and to triangulate with Suazo, who was too isolated, against the centerbacks. This also would have pushed Beausejour out wider, because he was way too narrow compared to the previous matches, even though he showed that when he did get wide and had the courage to take on Maicon, he could get by him. And it would have cut down on the double-teaming faced by Sanchez, and given him more access to support from the center of the pitch. It sounds insane to play five all out attackers, but the way Bielsa has them pressing and closing space from the forward line back, I actually think it would have troubled Brazil at lot more.

But I can understand why, missing two of his key defenders, even Bielsa would have been reluctant to go so attacking and roll the dice on that high line of four being able to bottle up the Brazilians. It would have been an even more interesting match, that's for sure.

25. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    I think missing Ponce and Medel affected us...yes...but we would have still lost because we were unable to penetrate their awesome defence...it was like crashing against a wall of muscle. Sanchez was disappointing that day as well...he is 22...he can improve a lot and I believe he will reach the level of Salas and Zamorano for the next world cup...he already has the same goals as Salas at his age...even though Sanchez is a winger not a striker...