Match 51 (R16) - Germany v England - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Marcson

Marcson New Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Wiesbaden
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The not given goal is a disgrace.

All hypothetical on-going scenarios of the match are silly.

Liverpool 2005? Best post in this thread? That's a laugh.

That's as silly as saying, Germany would have made the 3-2, because England would have come out of the cabin exactly as they did, going to score the lead.
    That's as silly as saying Germany would have made the 3-2, because it was a counter-attack directly after a set-piece, which could happen this way, no matter what the score is and not after England had to go desperately for the equalizer, leaving all defensive manners in the cabin.

I sincerely would have loved to see the match, when it is two-two at half-time.
    Let me be silly and hypothetical: We would have seen a match, that deserves to be called epic.

What stays in the end: Many, many classy English comments. Thank you guys.

2. pandapants

pandapants Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    England deserved nothing I am sorry to say. It is no good complaining about the goal that never was when you play without a defence. John Terry played so unbelieveably recklessly I can't believe it. Hopefully the Wayne Rooney myth that he can win the world cup on his own has gone for ever. We have heard at the last two world cups and wouldnt have noticed he was playing in either. England need to start by showing pride in their nation and appoint an Englishman. As per this football report

3. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    This is an interesting quote I read in an article:

Since 1966 we have never beaten any team of any quality at the knockout stage of a World Cup. Our only successes have been against the might of Paraguay, Belgium, Cameroon, Denmark and Ecuador.

I'm sure England would not have won in 1966 if it was not in England.

4. MrSoccerplayer

Apr 11, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Germany would win yesterday regardless of anything, they completely outplayed them.

5. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I found these pictures on the Daily Mail website:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. newyorkastle

newyorkastle New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    New York City
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Without milner's cross last Wednesday... Slovenia would have played Germany instead of england I also was surprised young was left out .. But i think swp and maybe even j Cole wrongly had that spot. The reluctance to search out newer, younger talent is often a problem for England. The most famous 10 names from club play (often more famous because of 10+year careers) get on the field with mediocre gk.

Kudos to capello for at least trying to start something new instead of just trotting out most of the euro 2004 starting 11

7. Wolfie65

Wolfie65 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    On the one hand, I can see why FIFA resists the idea of replay - the micro-analysis of every flick of a finger, every drag of a toe, every grab of a shirt has slowed American Football down to the crawl of an arthritic snail in a coma - on the other hand, for stuff like the goal England scored against Germany that didn't count and the clear offsides that gave Argentina the lead against Mexico, maybe they could have something like a booth official calling in to the ref and suggesting he take a second look.
    In the cases mentioned, I don't think the ultimate outcome would have been very different, but I can recall many matches where calls just like these did indeed make a huge difference.

8. Brummsel

Brummsel Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Maybe there should be a kind of regulation similar to Tennis: Every team manager (or some team official) has the right to use a video-analysis a number of times during a match. So 2-3 situations during a match could be video-analysed on demand of any of the involved teams. The call must be made immediately (within 10 seconds or sth. like that) of the event to be analysed at the 4th official ref.

The call from the ref was unfortunate for England. Whether the outcome of the match would be reversed if the right call would have been made is pure speculation. No one knows for sure, one can only guess.

9. orourkeda

orourkeda New Member

Bohemians
    Republic of Ireland
    Jan 18, 2010
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The technology debate is probably pointless. What Sepp Blatter says goes and he is firmly opposed to the introduction of the video or goal line technology to football at any level.

There are hundreds of examples of incorrect refereeing decisions that have influenced the outcome of important games. Nothing has changed.

10. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Todorov

Todorov New Member

May 22, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    England draws level (2-2) and ends up losing 4-1.

Enough said.

12. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the FA Cup this has happened a few times, lower league teams being screwed by officials and the players evening it up. There's just no honesty in the game, everyone wants to dive and cheat the ref. There's too much money involved for honesty.

14. wazoomann

wazoomann New Member

Jun 28, 2010
    USA
    As a fan of Germany and England, I'm surprised how many discount the importance of the nullified goal. It had an impact. We will never know what might have happened. Having said that, life is full of "unfair" breaks and you have to move on and make the best of it. England started negatively, tentatively and was punished for it. When they finally started playing, we saw the England we wanted to see (except for Rooney...who seemed uncomfortable, unable to get the ball out of his feet).

All in all, I was very happy to see a game full of offense and creative play. Too many teams in the Cup play not to lose (e.g. England!! until they were down 2-0). This was the most entertaining game by far and will be talked about a long time. The second, third and fourth German goals in particular were beautiful combination team play.

If I were an England fanatic I would ask two big questions.

1. Where was Rooney? Still hurt? Unhappy with the service from midfield? He seemed petulant.

2. The England defense. When England went forward, they were badly exposed. Poor organization and slow in key areas (e.g. Ozil made Barry look like he was jogging on the 4th goal).

I won't comment on the old men of FIFA other than this.

Off-sides calls should all be reviewed (as it is done on tv in literally 5 seconds) as well as any goals. Also, the officials should be able to consult an off-field official with access to replays so that all the idiocy of rolling around on field as if punched in face (e.g. Kaka red card) when player was elbowed in chest. An immediate yellow or red for that puts a stop to it very, very quickly. We want to see skill, not buffoonery.

FIFA should do whatever it can to enhance skillful, flowing, creative, goal-scoring soccer. That is what gets fans. It's why we watch. No one wants to talk about how someone hacked and held their way to a world cup final.

15. woodythenetminder

Mar 18, 2008
    DC area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've already made my replay comment and focused on the result in my last post.

Now Die Mannschaft plays Argentina and both face their stiffest competition and best test to date in the tourney. This is another Klassiker and we should be focusing on the match-up to come Samstag 930 Uhr EST.

I look for the size and strength of Germany's backline, well organized defensive midfield play and quick counters to cause all kinds of mischief for a yet untested Argentina. In essence, Germany's goals came off the quick counters from Neuer's huge goal kick to Klose's brilliant tenacity and finish to the brilliance of Oezil and Mueller's combination play. The goal was the team over individual's glory.

Obviously the team that focuses on keeping cool and collected should have the upper hand. The key for Germany will be to test the central defense; especially Demechallis. Anyone that follows Bayern Muenchen will know what I am talking about. The other defenders haven't been that convincing as well due to light competition.

The midfielders tend to allow room to run and focus on the attacking rather than strong defending. Multi-tasking them with speed off the wings as done with England will need to be maintained. The ability to force them to use the width rather than the straight down the middle approuch so prevelant against Mexico will be the other.

Argentina's speed will be a severe test. Both teams play as teams and for each other. I think that may be moreso true of Germany based on the passing games and vision towards the best scoring opportunity.

I may not like Maradona or Argentina. However, I do respect them. Maradona has allowed the media to focus on his unique character and not draw the attention and focus of his players. Brilliant.

It's going to be exciting, balanced and end-to-end football. The way the World cup should be.

JMHO-Woody

16. reckless_mf

reckless_mf Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I hope Argentina do win but I still think they have the ability to self implode and they have lacked a player with the mentality of Maradona and Pasarella to drive them forward.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They may not have that hugely dynamic personality, but Tevez stood up early as harrassment toward Mexico's defense. This seemed to set the tone for Argentina. That and that they converted the chances they had.

The later can be said of Germany as well. Germany only had shots on goal. Four of them were past the keeper. They took their opportunities. England, OTOH, had 9 shots on target (well, 10), but only scored 1 (okay, 2). They did not take their opportunities successfully.

18. Loddar

Loddar Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Herzogenaurach
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A shot on goal doesn´t equal a good chance/opportunity.:rolleyes:
    Most of England shots on goal were long range efforts, which were in most cases no problem for Neuer to save. Only someone who hasn´t seen the match would think England had an equal amount of chances in that match against Germany.

19. el americano

el americano Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Jun 9, 2006
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're looking for the Germany v Argentina - Pre-Match Thread ;)

20. pandapants

pandapants Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Englands pub team defending means that there has to be a clear out of manager and probably about 8 of the players including top pub player John Terry.

21. Tomyxas

Tomyxas New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It was good game, but referees made big mistake. German is very good, young team.

22. dl4060

dl4060 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    So, let me get this straight: If Rooney has another phenomenal season, and scores 34 goals in 42 matches, he will not be called "world class" because of the world cup? That is absolutely ridiculous. Rooney is clearly a world class player, unless you consider Ronaldo and Messi to be the only world class players.

23. dl4060

dl4060 New Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Isn't the first point true for ALL the major leagues? The top 4 leagues would all take a big hit if there were no foreign players. La Liga, Serie A...They all rely on foreigners.

I will agree that England does produce some world class players. Maybe someday the national team will put it together.

24. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    So-so. Other leagues have a stronger, more well-rounded backbone of homegrown players. England produces a bunch of Terrys and Lampard, and completely lack any creativity. They seem to just focus on physical attributes and shooting in their own player development, and import every whiff of skill and flair. The main reason why they were completely outplayed by Germany is that guys like Lampard had nobody who created anything for them, and were helpless. That's different in other top leagues.

25. JaredSS07

JaredSS07 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please keep the thread on topic, which happens to be the Germany v England game only, not leagues, foreign players, or world class status.