Match 51: ITA : ENG - KUIPERS (NED)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jul 8, 2021.

1. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kuipers is the first I've noticed to use the spray to mark one yard off the wall.

jarbitro repped this.
  2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Has to be a red card.

kolabear repped this.
  3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a final yellow right?

4. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Deep orange, which won’t get sent down here.

5. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Clattenburg is clueless.

6. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Clattenberg basically says that he thinks it could have been no card at all???

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  7. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If the horse collar tackle was only yellow I’m not sure how you then give red here.

Pittsburgh Ref and code1390 repped this.
  8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that’s a yellow nowadays and definitely one in this match with the overall context and circumstances.

RefIADad repped this.
  9. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Taylor is a walking clear and obvious error

10. Ghastly Officiating

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 12, 2017
    Good point by Twellman - why do your job when someone else can do it for you

frankieboylampard repped this.
  11. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    I'll do his!

12. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I switched to Univision early on to avoid the dumb commentary.

All in all Kuipers had a great match.

RefIADad repped this.
  13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still time for VAR to strike with keepers.

14. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I agree. Although I don’t like that the horse collar is only yellow. Given the big risk of injury and the complete lack of actual soccer in the move, my heart wants that to be red. However, it probably would have been the wrong decision here.

superdave repped this.
  15. Pittsburgh Ref

Pittsburgh Ref Member+

Oct 7, 2014
    da 'Burgh
    Is stones on George Carlin's list?

16. TxSooner

TxSooner Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I didn’t like that run up, he stopped

17. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Nice game by Kuipers.

Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well managed game by Kuipers. If this was his last international match he goes off on a high mark.

RefIADad and Pittsburgh Ref repped this.
  19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I agree - I understand if someone here wants to tell me that it’s not a red by the rules, I wish that it was a red by the spirit of the rules. A dangerous and cynical play that also foils a breakaway - sounds like two simultaneous yellows if not a red. Hated it.

20. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outside of officiating, bringing on two subs in the 121st minute having them both miss penalty kicks will probably haunt Southgate for a while.

21. El Rayo Californiano

Feb 3, 2014
    Perhaps I’m overreading, but it looked to me like Chiellini was concerned about which card Kuipers would show.

22. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Agreed. Saka was certainly going to miss as he looked like he was going to puke the entire time. (Players that look sick taking penalties always miss). But how do you put that pressure on a 19 year old? It could ruin a career.

As an old school guy, I love seeing players miss when they try to be cute on the run up.

23. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Stopping during the run ups is allowed. You can't feint once you've completed your run-up, which he didn't do

socal lurker and JasonMa repped this.
  24. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #99 RefIADad, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    The referee in the Tigres-Club America game in San Antonio yesterday had his flag go flying and had to make a signal with his arm sans flag. Everyone had a good laugh about it.

Kuipers is going to be a big loss to the refereeing community when he calls it a day. He just has a knack for working big games like this. My son was watching the game on his phone heading back to Des Moines from Rockford, IL for an ODP event. His only comment about Kuipers was short and to the point - "Man, he's good." And he wants a Valkeen whistle after hearing Kuipers use it (he has high tastes like his dad - I'll give him that!!). I told him I'll compromise and give him a Kakapo for his birthday since he'll officially be certified in time to do games in the fall.

25. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I thought Kuipers played a pretty poor advantage with England attacking to the left where Kane got fouled outside the area and the ball got played forward into the area but in no real danger. It was late. I forget the time. I can almost here any English trainer on one of my sidelines saying, “We’ll take the kick there, Referee.” But, other than that I have no complaints. I ended up disappointed in Clatts. Thought he would be better.

I’m with Billy. Saka was put into an impossible position by Southgate. Completely overmatched. And, I’m not ever talking about the PK miss.

It’s great on a ref forum we truly don’t have much to talk about. (I give up on Twellman, who has no feel for the game, and chooses not to learn about it.).

England played a good part of the second portion of the game with 3 holding midfielders. That’s not the way to win the match. Why does scoring early change your game plan?

Anyway, I thought the tournament was well refereed. I don’t know enough about the appointment game as @MassachusettsRef or @RedStar91 or @Pierre Head or @Mikael_Referee or @allan_park (and if I left anybody out, forgive me!). But, the aforementioned make a fun read, and makes the watching if the tournament even more fun.