Match 49 (R16) - Uruguay v South Korea - Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by Caesar, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Match 49 (R16) - Ururguay v South Korea - Post-Match Thread [R]

That one play where the Korean grabbed Perez, Perez had totally fouled and fallen on the Korean player. That was bad luck.

Korea played well though and should go home feeling proud...they had their chances, but it wasn't their day.

2. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston

Uruguay deserved the win. Could have been 3-0 early in the match if nor for questionable non-penalty and incorrect offsides. For the small amount of time the game was tied, Uruguay was certain the better team, taking the match to Korea.

After Korea equalized, I though they would ride the wave of momentum to victory, but Uruguay just flipped a switch, took control again and scored the winner. This Uruguay is mentally very strong.

Perhaps Uruguay took too defensive an approach with the lead, but considering they did enough to earn a larger lead, the condition of the pitch, the weather, and the speed of the Koreans, I can understand it being a better percentage in this case to cede possession, avoid dangerous midfield turnovers, and not let the Koreans get behind your back line.

Korea played pretty well. Both teams got one weak goal apiece and in the end Uruguay's shot of the post went in and Korea's did not. Korea should go home proud, knowing they played positive in all four games and in they keep in up I hope they can become a should get to the second round team instead of a hope to get the second round team.

3. gtk927

gtk927 New Member

May 30, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

I don't think the Ref had anything to do with the outcome of the match. Park Chu Young hitting the post on that set play was unfortunate & probably would have set a different tone to the game if he scored, but coulda woulda shoulda.

I was dismayed at some of the defensive marking in the Arg/Nig matches, but was totally shocked and appalled at the complete inability to defend the 1st Uruguayan goal. There were 5 S.Korean guys in the box in good position to defend against a cross, Forlan's cross was absolutely terrible, and no Korean guy thought it would be a good idea to lash out against it. All the defenders were rooted to the ground as if they were oak trees, Jung Sung Ryong was completely pitiful and Suarez open net. Absolutely atrocious amateur-like play, that goal should have never happened.

Lee Jung Soo's calamitous error falling to give Suarez a breakaway was not offside, he should have been in alone and would have probably scored. Each team had a PK that could have been called, so those wash out. I thought S.Korea carried the play in the 2nd half, not sure why Uruguay chose to sit back but it definitely cost them. Our goal was the result of some pretty crappy defending by Uruguay and the goalie didn't do them any favours by tentatively going for the ball, but that was not nearly as bad as Jung Sung Ryong on the 1st goal. He almost caught that ball by Forlan on the 2nd half set play behind his own goal line??

2nd Suarez goal...all I can say is WORLD CLASS TALENT. Lee Dong Kook in the 87th minute alone on goal reminded me of Emile Heskey's chance against the US...should have done way better, but a shot straight at the goalie, for god's sake.

4. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

If Suarez keeps this up I could see a English/Spanish/German/Italian club going out and trying to spend a fortune to buy him from Ajax

5. Quenonino!

Quenonino! New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

Your right, but unfortunately I don't see Tabarez changing his style. I think everyone who was watching this game was calling for Lodeiro to be subed in for Parriera, but Tabarez stayed defensive till he had no choice.

6. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

I actually wasn't. I wanted Fernandez for Pereira, but when you're losing, and are getting attacked down your throats, you don't put Lodeiro on the wing. But we needed a change though

7. Quenonino!

Quenonino! New Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

I understand your point, I just felt we needed a Lodeiro or a Nacho which would give the team some pause, hold the ball, and actually get the ball up field out of our half. By the way Whats up with Caceres??? Is he in Tabarez doghouse???

8. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay

I don't know. He was injured for most of the season. Also, his mistake against Argentina cost us the game. And he seems to do that alot. He has a lot of speed, but he misses a lot of balls.
    And in the world cup, you can't have that. The guy is young, and he will be very important for the next world cup, so I hope he's not in Tabarez's doghouse. I just think there's better players than him right now, and the injury of course doesn't help

9. pmhong

pmhong New Member

Jun 17, 2006

These kind of comments blaming one player for the loss is nonsense. First of all, the first goal was resulted by two defenders who miscommunicated. That was a tough play for goalie to make. AND the goalie played just fine throughout this tournament.

If you watched Korea throughout the years in WC, they never had a problem with their heart. Their biggest problem is putting the goal in when they have a great chance. Both Lee CY and Lee DK had great opportunities in one on one position to put the ball in and they didn't.

Uruguay won to day because of Suarez. He converted 2 out of 3 great chances and that was the game. Uruguay is a defensive team with two great strikers. They played their game and in the end they won.

Lastly, Korea just didn't have much luck today which is what you need to advance in knockout stage.

10. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002

If this thread is so strictly moderated

the least you could do is to spell U R U G U A Y correctly

I consider that an offense and in the name of 3 million plus Uruguayans
    I demand an apology

11. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Good game of both teams, i didnt hope nothing different to this, a very hard game, very closed and very emotional. I didnt like how the team give the ball to Korea but this team have hearth and says that is a LOT for us.
    Thank you players and Tabarez!!

12. fatjoez

fatjoez New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    i think uruguay played poorly after they scored that first goal they just relaxed... playing defensive. Korea kept applyin the pressure and eventually broke through, good for them they deserve it. Lucky for Uruguay Suarez scoring again. I think the passing was very poor for Uruguay, many times giving ball to korea...

13. Brazooka

Brazooka New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    CA
    It seems like a trend now that most teams will sit on one goal, Uruguay had it, and could have killed the game at 1st half but put it all at risk, instead of keeping doing what They were doing that was working, Korea is good from the mid to front but defence is just too inocent, and no I don't think the keeper was the one to blame, You can't let someone cross a ball like that in the box.

14. fatjoez

fatjoez New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    don't forget uruguay couldn't pass... to their own team mates >_>

15. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    Korea gave a good effort, controlled the possession,showed off their attacking ability, impressed with their relentless pace and threatened the Uruguay defense, too bad Dong Gook Lee blows his chance of becoming a hero in the end but i don't think there was a time in the game where Uruguay looked clueless or were scrambling on their feet searching for ideas. It was amazing to see how they regrouped and displayed their own offensive capabilities after the Lee Chung Yong goal. Strange that they don't attack more often especially when in the lead. Congratulations to Uruguay, this team has a great foundation for success. Solid defense, two class strikers.

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It was a very good game by both contenders, at first it seemed as if Uruguay was going to pass like a lawn mower over South Korea, but after the first goal, Tabarez made the mistake of pulling back their defence lines, an action that brought more danger to Uruguay, and South Korea made a good use of the field that Uruguay gave them. I`m a bit in doubt about a handball by a South Korean defender that would have meant a pk for Uruguay, but Mr. Stark did not make the call and the actions continued till South korea tied the game. At his moment Uruguay reacted, and started attacking as it was in the first period and in no time scored once more, from then on, Uruguay dedicated itself mostly to defend the lead as the same time that South Korea attacked fiercly, but the game ended, and Uruguay confirms that they are one of the most likely candidates for one of the semifinal games.

The one thing that I always love about Uruguay, is that they aren`t inmune to make defensive mistakes every once in a time, as that defensive head touch in the penalty area that put the ball on the feet of the South Korean striker when they made the goal. Don`t get me wrong, its not amusing that they must receive a goal in an action as this one, but it makes me feel emphaty towards Uruguay each time they do something like this, since we Chileans are famous for this kind of plays (remember in this WC, what happened to us against Spain), but Uruguay has a lot of "garra" and they always manage to turn in their favour a situation like this, prove to it, its their second goal that decided the game. As a Chilean, I am very happy for their victory today, they deserve to be in quarter-finals as they used to be in the past, regularly in these instances and I wish them the best luck in their next match against a formidable opponent, Ghana.

VAMOS ARRIBA ¡¡¡¡ URUGUAY !!!!

:cool:.:)

17. Fiorentina 1

Fiorentina 1 New Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Agoura Hills
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguay will make it to the final 4! They were my dark horse for the WC and lived up to their expectations. Granted they have an easier draw then some. They'll beat Ghana!

18. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Our loss had more to do with lack of finishing and poor defensive plays.

19. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Haha, come on man. You can't possibly be that biased. The ref was slightly in favor of Uruguay but in the end did not determine the outcome of the match, as he shouldn't have.

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    While I admit that I don't rate S.Korea as highly as some others, finding them full of hustle and grit but lacking in the kind of technical skills that even some other Asian teams possess, they did well enough to get to this stage. And they exited the tournament against Uruguay with their pride intact. Indeed, S.Korea could have defeated Uruguay and a win by S.Korea in that match would not have been entirely undeserved, even if Uruguay to me are a more skilled and articulate side.

Anyway, S.Korean fans should be proud that their team made its first appearance in the R16 outside of Korea. That achievement helped the image of Asian soccer as well, even if N.Korea coming unglued against Portugal and Ivory Coast will put some dent on Asia's otherwise very good record in this tournament.

21. GoonerDoz

GoonerDoz Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Sydney - Bangkok
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    How was it a clear penalty?

Last time I checked, ball to hand is not a penalty....and it's not like he moved his arm towards the ball, nor was he even looking in that direction.

22. MachoRhombus

MachoRhombus Member

Nov 17, 2009
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Dear god.

23. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan
    Best of luck Uruguay vs. Ghana.

It was a hard fought match but no excuses, both teams left the pitch with pride and put on a show.

24. shinović89

shinović89 Member+

May 23, 2010
    Liverfail
    Who cares if it was a handball or not, Ki was tripped in the box late in the 2nd half and no pk call was given. In the end, both cancel each other out.

25. SoccerFan900

SoccerFan900 New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    One of the aspects needed to be taken into account in deciding handball/no handball is whether the player made himself bigger in an attempt to have an advantage in "not playing the ball but being played by the ball." Did the Korean defender make himself bigger by extending his elbow? Can an extended elbow, coincidentally resulting in being the contact area, be considered a natural body position?

On the other hand (unintended pun), look at how Lugano closes in on attackers when he's in the penalty area. He almost always goes towards the player with his hands and arms deliberately placed BEHIND his body, putting him at somewhat of a disadvantage with respect to balance....

Food for thought....