Match 47: Chile-Spain 25 June (Pre-Match)

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    They are also the defending European champions, their fans don`t trust fully in their team and coach, and are mad at them for loosing against Switzerland, putting them in the position where they are now, depending mainly in what they can achieve against us, when before the world cup started, they were convinced that by now, they already would have achieved their classification to the next round.

And we, on the other side, were second in Conmebol qualy`s being the second top scorer team with the overall scorer in our team, have similar results playing at home or as a visitor to other teams in the preparation matches, In this world Cup are actually the leaders of the group, have two straight victories, haven`t lost a game yet, haven`t received any goals yet, and mostly that we were able to do what they couldn`t do, by not only not receiving a goal, but by wining against Switzerland, which proves that we are probably more resourceful than them, at the hour of attacking and defending our chances.

:cool: :)

2. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    From Chile's perspective, this game should be different because Spain is going to come forward and attack us, unlike what Honduras and Switzerland did. This would give us a chance of finding more spaces and more opportunities to score. In addition, whoever finishes first on this group will have the "pleasure" of avoinding Brazil in the second round. My prediction 2-2 tie. As we know, Chile has two suspended players for this game: Carmona and Fernandez. We have to see who their replacements would be; in addition there is a rumor that David Villa, might get suspended by the video, after he hit an honduras player on his face. We should see...

3. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    When teams sit back and let us come to them is when we have the most difficulty, as with Switzerland the other day and previously against teams like Uruguay, Paraguay (santiago), Venezuela etc...

But when the other team has the onus and it is them that have to look for the result, that is when we are at our best. This is the type of game in which we disassembled Peru in Lima, when we eliminated Colombia in Medellin, and when we beat Paraguay in Asunsion. Of course this is just to say that we do better when the other team needs the win, it suits our style, not to suggest that any of these teams are anywhere near Spain in terms of quality.

Anyways, as a Chilean fan i'm comfortable with the game for a few reasons

- our defense is looking better than it has in a long time
    - Spain cannot be comfortable should they get a 1 goal lead and will therefore have to keep looking to score and (hopefully) leave open spaces
    - I can't see Honduras going 3 and out, Switzerland will not have an easy time with the central americans
    - more than being fearful of elimination i am excited at the prospects of eliminating what was up until recently the best team in the world

there are, of course, a few things that make me nervous
    - no Carmona (our best midfielder thus far)
    - we're wasting a lot of chances
    - Spain is the most talented team in the WC

But if Switzerland beat them, so can we

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El3z83tumSQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Spain vs Switzerland in Lego- Spain Loss - World Cup 2010[/ame]

4. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Referee: Marco Rodríguez (Mexico).

:mad::rolleyes:

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a bit crude, dude.

6. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Debateable, at the very least.

7. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I completely agree. We are still in control of our destiny, as is Spain.

I can't vouch for what the Chilean media says (because most of it it's crap) but most people are understandably worried about playing a world class side like Spain, who's already beat us and includes world class players.

Our odds against Brazil are minimal, and I definitely hope we don't face them soon if we qualify to the next round. Even Bielsa realizes that Chile lacks the physical and technical class to guarantee a victory against them. I don't understand this sudden thought that we can beat anyone when our victories in this WC are against Switzerland and Honduras so far, decidedly unexceptional teams.

People are extremely optimistic or pessimistic, and it's completely killing me. We can definitely beat Spain, but it would have to be a nearly perfect game on our part. The fact that Carmona won't be there is worrying, and a non-stopping open game will prove the physical preparation of a team that requires EVERYONE to run and pressure at all times.

It can be argued that our defense hasn't received any goals because it hasn't been truly tested yet, and it concerns me as to whether we can react positively to a negative score early on. Still, there's faith in the work of Bielsa on my part. I saw some flaws in Spain's game that could be exploited and I'm sure Bielsa is aware of their flaws as well as ours.

I just hope we can improve our ratio of converted chances. :(

8. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    We HAVE to convert Friday if we stand any chance of controlling our OWN destiny. Yes, it is unfortunate Carmona will be out. That man never tires. Vidal has to offer more and get more playing time. If Spain plays that plodding set-up game that they did against Honduras, I LOVE our chances. We'll see though. I really think the best bet is Switzerland and Honduras ending up in a tie Friday. But, it's funny..the closer we get to the game Friday, the more confident I am in our team.:cool:I can't wait to see Medel against Villa and/or Torres. That would be huge if Villa is suspended. I had no idea he messed with a player last game.

9. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The key for Chile in this game is to score on the opportunities that will be created.

10. mannyweb.ca

mannyweb.ca New Member

May 29, 2010
    Mississauga
    So no answers on the leopard clad Milf from the Chile - Hondura game?

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile more so, IMO.

I think the same for any country. I haven't read the Spanish media, but I bet they are either questioning their team, or saying "same old story."

It is all about the dramatics of the story. For most of yesterday, the top story for the US was about Jozy being sick! Drama, Drama, Drama.

I think Chile can pull off at least a draw it not an outright victory. Sure they didn't score as many as they should have, but v. Switzerland, they were playing with full confidence.

12. Pzoom

Pzoom Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovakia
    With all of the pre-Cup hype and expectations, Spain clearly seems to be under the most pressure for a result. Chile needs to play smart (though not necessarily conservatively) in the early stages – the longer the match stays level the more likely that Chile will be able to catch Spain with a well-timed counterattack.

Chile has played some skilled attacking football so far, and I hope it continues against Spain – they have been fun to watch and would be a real shame for Chile to head home despite having 2 wins.

Con el fútbol, todos ganamos! :)

13. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Eso si!! :D

14. fetajr

fetajr New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Honduras will get a result vs. Swiss leaving Chile in the clear.

They held up fairly well vs Mexico and USA in qualifying, and held Chile and Spain to 1 and 2 goals. Defensive Swiss can't ''all of a sudden'' convert to offensive futbol, all they know is defense and 'arratonarse atras'

El Salvador 0 V 1 Honduras
    Honduras 2 V 3 United States
    Mexico 1 V 0 Honduras
    Honduras 4 V 1 Trinidad and Tobago
    Honduras 4 V 0 Costa Rica
    Honduras 1 V 0 El Salvador
    United States 2 V 1 Honduras
    Honduras 3 - 1 Mexico
    Trinidad and Tobago 1 - 1 Honduras
    Mexico 2 - 1 Honduras
    Canada 1 - 2 Honduras
    Honduras 2 - 0 Jamaica
    Honduras 3 - 1 Canada
    Jamaica 1 - 0 Honduras
    Honduras 1 - 0 Mexico

15. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    i guess. but who's been better? he's the only one that has played all 180 minutes, and is in charge of preventing the rival midfielders from moving up with posession (which is what has allowed us to thrive)...

Valdivia hasn't played enough, Mati has been off form, Vidal gets subbed in both games + played a a defender the first, Jean has played primarily as a forward....

16. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Notice though, that Vidal has been changed as a reaction to opposing formations, rather than any poor display on his behalf.

Bielsa always plays with 1 more defender than the opponent. So if Spain uses 1 striker Chile will play with 4 at the back, where Vidal and Isla will bomb forward for most of the match, leaving only 2 men behind.

If Spain switch to the Villa, Torres combo, then Chile will sacrifice either Vidal or Isla for Jara and play with 3 men at the bottom who will not bomb forward nearly as much as the fullbacks in a line of 4.

...back to the Spain v Chile match...

After watching Spain against Honduras, I changed my mind and definitely fancy our chances to get something out of this. Spain have started slow and in a way we have been lucky to meet them this early on in the competition as we can tackle them while they are still looking to regain the Euro Cup form.

I can see Sanchez causing all sorts of havoc in the Spanish back-line...I would even throw Orellana in the mix...with the two pacy wingers we can create space for Suazo and also make some dangerous counter-attacking runs into the box.

Should be good. :cool: I can see a tight game, winning or loosing by no more than 1 goal...which could be enough for both of us as I also don't see Switzerland beating Honduras.

17. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Suazo isn't playing on friday, he's not fit.

18. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Is there any chance he could be back for the Round of 16 if we're to make it that far? Seeing as how it would only be a few days more rest. If there is one positive from it, it creates a sense of urgency amongst the team where they have to work even harder to make a presence in and around the box, which they haven't had a problem with so far. They just need to convert.:eek:

19. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I have that same feeling too, which will help Spain and Chile should Spain win or tie Chile.

Aupa Espanha!

Er Pichi

20. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Spain as the visiting team for this match will be wearing their number two jersey pictured below and white plants and socks.

[​IMG]

Aupa Espanha!

Er Pichi

21. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    cual es el mejor cruce posible para chile - en caso de avanzar?

22. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Portugal obviously. Brazil has our number.

23. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Que bacan que se haya ido Italia para la casa, no me puede dejar de expresar mi felicidad por eso. Todo en la vida se paga, asi como hace cuatro anhos ganaron el mundial de manera arreglada y con ayudas arbitrale, ahora se fueron para la casa no mas. Y Eso qeu al final les anularon un gol al final. A lo mejor si Medina Cantalejo estaba de arbitro, lo validaban seguramente......:D

24. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's tricky because Villa will probably play on the left wing but with freedom of movement. Which leads us to...

...since Villa won't be there to defend, and is not used to, and since Capdevilla has been in bad form, I'm actually worried about Alexis Sánchez. Unless Del Bosque somehow decides to start Arbeloa.

25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Jesus !!!........., still almost 20 hours for this match and since I already ate all my hands fingernails, guess I`ll have to start eating the nails from my toes and fingernails from my feet.......I wonder how a foot will taste, in case they run out so fast........:D