Match 45: Portugal x Brazil

Discussion in 'GROUP G: Brazil, North Korea, Ivory Coast, Portuga' started by Ombak, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Portugal[​IMG] x [​IMG]Brazil
    Friday, June 25th 16:00
    Durban

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. I will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. socc

socc New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hmm, why none is discussing about this match? It is surely one of THE matches in the next World Cup imho.
    I see a lot of people posting in the Ivory Coast-Portugal ( ?!?! )

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I think most people expect Ivory Coast/Portugal to be the key match of the group stage, as the result will likely determine who qualifies and who finishes third. Despite the strength of the group I don't think anybody is pencilling in any points against Brazil - even Portugal.

I'm sure the matchup will generate plenty of discussion closer to the date, but probably more from a purely football perspective (rather than as a key match as far as the standings go).

4. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A interesting stat is that Brazil have never beaten Portugal on neutral territory (the closest being in Mozambique in 1968 but that was officially Portuguese territory at that time,) the two times we have meet on neutral territory both in England Portugal have won 3-1 and 2-0. If Brazil were playing at home there would be a 95% chance of victory for Brazil don't think we have ever beaten Brazil in Brazil, but it ain't.

5. socc

socc New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You are right, that´s pretty interesting, I had no idea about it. And I think Portugal are going to beat them again :D

You are probably right. But we should also think that this match (imho) will define the first and the second teams of the group. Buy you are right saying this is going to be much more discussed when the date is closer (like 3 days earlier probably).

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well, that all depends on the outcome of the Cote d'Ivoire - Portugal match though. Right now the bookies have that game as a toss-up.

This group is very much set-up like Group "D". There too you have a "toss-up" match (Ghana v Serbia) and a clear favorite who you'd expect to progress (Germany). I wouldn't be surprised if one of Brasil or Germany finish second in their group which would set-up the possibility of a crazy round-of-16 match.

7. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Well perhaps I'm a little biased, but I'd like to flatter myself that Australia will have more influence on Group D's standings than North Korea will on G's. ;)

I don't really see the Ghana-Serbia game being quite so important, purely because of the Australia factor. There, it depends what happens on the first two match days - Australia-Ghana or Serbia-Australia might end up being the pivotal fixture.

In Group G, barring a major upset you're essentially looking at a three team group.

8. jethy

jethy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I wanted this match-up so badly and we got it! Even though it would be boring to see Brazil do well in a World Cup again, I want them to beat the Portuguese so badly :D

9. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No animosity I understand you don't want us to beat you 1-0 again and again and again...:D

10. Shakur

Shakur Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Spain
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow nice and ironic game. Im surely watching this when the time comes. My prediction? very difficult...its true Portugal has struggled to qualify but once in the world cup everything can happen. Theres some examples of teams that struggled to qualify and then won the World Cup, im not saying this is going to be the case...but one thing is for sure: Carlos Queiroz is a shit coach. He isnt handling right all the talent that has in Portugal, he proved in Real Madrid he wasnt a coach for big teams and is prooving it again in Portugal, go back help Ferguson, Carlos, because you still have much to learn.

But honestly...I dont see Brazil loosing this, maybe its going to be a tie...but loosing it? very difficult, Brazil always handles very well first round matches, and almost 100 % of the time ends up being first in the group, they are made to play World Cups. And Brazil`s power is reagruping, they might join a legend squad by the start of World Cup, because Adriano Leite is slowly recovering, he has ended as the top scorer of Brasileirao now and Ronaldinho is slowly becoming to be that guy that impressed the whole world at Barsa...if Dunga decides to include him in the list we can see a terrific team, and a very important diference with 2006, they aint going to be so hyped as they were in that WC, that plays in Brazil`s favour.

On the negative side, like you guys said before, Brazil tends to loose against Portugal. Everybody has heard about Eusebio kicking their asses out in 1966 (If i dont remember bad).

C.Ronaldo hasnt showed all the football he has showed with Man Utd and Real Madrid, everybody says "Portugal has ronaldo, portugal has ronaldo", well the ronaldo of Portugal is far distance from "club ronaldo", if he doesnt step up in the WC and helps his team I dont see much chances for the lusos. Another important thing to say is that Pepe is bad injured and might miss the World Cup. He has six months until he recovers, and even if he reaches in time for WC his level of form isnt going to be the best, thats a strong disadvantage for Portugal, cause Pepe is a top 5 defender in the world, even if Queiroz puts him as defensive midfielder...:rolleyes:.

My prediction: 0-1 for Brazil.

11. socc

socc New Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My prediction is 1-1. And another (risky) prediction... C Roanaldo is going to shine in this World Cup, remember my words :)

12. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    A draw or a win for Brazil. I know the Portuguese are strong and that Cristiano Ronaldo is a world-class striker. But since 1970 Brazil has lost only one game in the first round (2-1 vs. Norway in 1998). That's 1 game out of 30.

Of the remaining 29, Brazil tied 5 times:

0-0 vs. Yugoslavia
    0-0 vs. Scotland

1-1 vs. Sweden
    0-0 vs. Spain

1-1 vs. Sweden

Brazil should have beaten Sweden 2-1 in 1978 but for a referee ending the game while the football was in mid-air.

So, with 24 out of 30 games ending w/ Brazilian victories, that's an 80% winning percentage. Not bad. And Brazil is highly likely to defeat both North Korea and the Ivory Coast. The worst that can realistically happen is for Brazil to reach this match w/ 3 points vs. North Korea and 1 point vs. the Ivory Coast. Brazil would then have to play to win, and a victory vs. Portugal, with all respect to the Portuguese, would be quite feasible.

13. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Arguably since 1970 Brazil has only met top quality opposition in the group phase 4-5 times:

England 1970 (win)
    Yugoslavia 1974 (draw)
    Spain 1978 (draw)
    Spain 1986 (win)

That is 2 wins and 2 draws (plus maybe a win against the Soviet Union). The other 2526 matches were against some good teams, but mostly against mediocre or poor sides. This is arguably the toughest group Brazil has ever been in. Its not the amount of wins that count. It the opponents you meet.

BTW: The worst that can realistically happen is North Korea bunkering for a point and Cote d'Ivoire pulling of a shock win. It's not that unlikely... It not the likeliest turn of events, but it is reasonably likely. Summing up at least one draw for Brazil in this group is highly likely, while a loss is reasonably probable (with both Portugal and Cote d'Ivoire capable of pulling off a shock). Yes, Brazil is favourite, but not by that much.

14. GolDeLetra

GolDeLetra New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Bahia Salvador
    I don't see a draw in this game. I don't think either of these teams will be happy to finish second in the group and play the winner of group H (probably Spain) on round 2, so both Brazil and Portugal will be looking for a win. Having said this, my call is for a Brazil victory by a goal (1 X 0 or 2 X 1).

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal suffer another setback. Varela, Porto striker has been ruled out for the tournament. Pepe, Bosinga, Varela are now confirmed players that cannot participate this summer due to serious injury.

[​IMG]

He most likely wasn't going to start ahead of Liedson, but I could have seen him taking his place as the tournament progressed. And being first off the bench alongside Nani/Simao.

16. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Another important blow at least Danny! is back and scoring. Can't wait for this game it is going to be titanic! AND then Brazil/Portugal vs Spain EPIC.:D

17. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8BZxDXsdCg[/ame]

As already noted Brazil has only lost in the first round once since 1970. 1966 got kicked out first round where they not only lost to Portugal 3-1 but also to Hungary 3-1 with there only win being against Bulgaria 2-0. The other two times Brazil got kicked out in the first round is 1930 in Uruguay won 4-0 against Bolivia lost to Yugoslavia 2-1 and 1934 in Italy lost to Spain 3-1. Portugal, its 2 semi final appearances and 2 first round exits (boom or bust.)

Wondering if this game is going to be like the Battle of Nuremberg (2006 versus Netherlands) or like the 5-1 against Angola (where Angola had 4 players sent off and the game was abandoned with 20 minutes to go as another Angolan player was stretchered off.)

Or more like the Angola-Portugal match 2006 (0-1.)

If both are already through ( 6 points each) then there would be less to play for (though Spain awaits for the runner up.) If both or one have 4 (or less) with Ivory Coast playing North Korea this could into the Battle of Durban (or Durbs.)

Obviously hoping for a Battle and first round exit for Brazil:D

18. geeko79

geeko79 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Toronto
    Eusebio was a beast!

19. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I was thinking of buying a new Red jersey with his name on the back.

20. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    This is probably the match of the century right here, match-up of the tournament if you ask me, because everyone will be stuck and glued to their TVs to watch this match-up because Portugal Ronaldo & co. going up against Kaka & co.= Joga Bonito type soccer here, you heard it here first.

Like in the words of Joga Bonito Eric Cantona, football= respect, that football for Brazil and Portugal both is all about respect and seizing the dream which is what both countries will do in this match

1-1= Draw, my prediction for this match-up

21. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

I recommend you put all your money on this prediction.

22. FredGavioes

FredGavioes Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Boston/MA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    easy game for Brazil. Liedson, Pepe and Deco, will celebrate when Luis Fabiano scores a hatrick

23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

Faboloso is not your man for this tournament.

Liedson, Pepe and Deco cheer everyday for being citizens of Portugal :)

24. soccerrule

soccerrule New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    I know everybody things Brasil will get it done in this game!
    Wrong, this is where it all matters,this is no friendly match or anything like that ,i look at the brazilian squad and i dont see the power there like i saw in the past years and i believe if Brazil goes that confident to this game they will seriously be surprised...

25. thetaylor310

thetaylor310 Member

Jul 30, 2004
    São Paulo-SP, BRASIL
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This WC is the Cup of the colonies! Brasil x Portugal, US x England...

In my opinion between Brasil x Portugal, there won't be a draw

Portugal 1 x 2 Brasil for me :D