Match 38: WAL : DEN - SIEBERT (GER)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020: Refereeing' started by code1390, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Thegreatwar

Thegreatwar Member

Seacoast United
    May 28, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Honestly, even though there’s reasons to support it, it feels so jarring for these borderline RCs to actually be given as RCs, since the tendency for almost a decade has been the opposite. It’s completely unsurprising that non refereeing people are up in arms about it given how they’ve been conditioned by a generation of SFP/VC leniency.

RefIADad and Ismitje repped this.
  2. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clattenburg and Twellman sounds like two guys with WAY overinflated opinions of themselves trying to one-up each other. So in other words, a standard episode of First Take. :D

Zero issues whatsoever with the red card. That's the classic example of a play that may not completely satisfy all of the boxes that are in the Laws, but man did that just feel like an "eff you" type of play that really deserved a send off. It was really late, clearly designed to whack the Denmark player, and was right in front of the benches (a good area to send a message). From a game management perspective, it's a good red to issue to keep Denmark from any sort of retaliation in the waning minutes of the match.

I think the Kjaer play was a foul, but I also think the Wales defender making a clearance you shouldn't do in a U10 game kind of mitigated the equity of going back for a VAR review on that play. :D (I know we aren't supposed to think like that - it's just kind of how karma works sometimes!!)

3. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    I thought Siebert was superb yesterday, absolutely outstanding - the way he managed to perceive more-or-less every incident perfectly was just brilliant, as were his player interactions, disciplinary control. I would argue the best performance at WC / EURO since at least 2010, and maybe even 1986!(!)

I would like to think that there is a fourth appointment for him, his performances deserve the final in my view, but I guess nobody agrees with me here.

-

I wanted to discuss the 48' situation for the 0-2* goal, on a didactic VAR level especially, it is a fascinating situation. Personally, I think the play on call is excellent - Moore puts his body between the ball and Kjær on purpose, he was no longer interested in the ball. Siebert saw through it!

More interesting is the APP question. I think this highlights why football understanding is so crucial in football officiating. There were two potential offences involved in addition to the failed clearance by Williams:

1) Even if you judge the Moore situation as a foul, no intervention is much better IMO:
    - amount of time elapsing between that and the goal
    - ambiguous nature of the scene
    - clearance, regarding this potential offence, actually should reset the APP IMO

=> Intervention here, even in the case of a slightly clearer foul infraction (for me it was no foul at all!), would be too rigorous IMO, and constitute 're-refereeing' the game.

2) On the other hand, if the ball was out in that throw-in situation (it wasn't), then intervention should be mandatory IMO. To assess the failed clearance in this particular case as terminating the APP would be against common sense and a general understanding of "fairness".

=> Non-intervention here if the ball was out would pay too much attention to the letter of any APP guidance, and not its spirit. So full marks to the German VMOs for carefully checking that situation.

---> For two different sorts of situations, we (should) get two different interpretations of what the APP is! That is why refereeing needs high-calibre, actively thinking officials in the VOR with a deep understanding of "what football expects".

4. Mikael_Referee

Mikael_Referee Member+

Jun 16, 2019
    England
    Sorry, now I see that the APP clearly restarted long before the penalty area clearance :)

But I hope you guys understand at least the point I was trying to make!

5. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    This is very true.
    This was clearly demonstrated by the reaction on Wilson's face. He obviously knew what he was doing and was quite happy deliberately to whack his opponent in exchange for a YC with only a few minutes left in a lost match.
    I agree that it was a RC offense, no reasonable attempt or chance to play the ball, and with force directly into an opponent. I, for one, am glad to see the pendulum swing back again, and hope it stays there!

PH

6. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    So you use an absolute farce of argument with a logical fallacy to suggest that well was already going home therefore it doesn’t matter.

Nobody likes Taylor Twellman.

No wonder you do not want to engage in the red card discussion because you are engaging in intellectual dishonesty.

I’ll take my leave because I’ll get banned anyway… oh wait that’s the ridiculous post box fallacy that you incorrectly tried to apply.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll take comfort in knowing the order and content of posts here shows exactly what happened and exactly what was said. Suffice it to say that the vast majority of your last post here is not connected with reality.

chaoslord08, socal lurker and JasonMa repped this.
  8. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you gonna be ok

JasonMa repped this.