Match 38 | United States vs Algeria | June 23 | Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by JaredSS07, Jun 23, 2010.

1. The 92nd Fish

The 92nd Fish Member

Jan 16, 2007
    London, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was glad to see you guys go through especially after that awful call against Slovenia and the very debatable one in the first half yesterday. Even more so as it looks like you have much the easier draw now with Ghana which is only good for MLS/soccer popularity in the states if you can overcome them. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if you go further than England in this World Cup now.

If England go out, which I think is probably likely against Germany, I'm going to adopt the States as my second team :D

2. rickumali

rickumali Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Arlington, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On ESPN's SportsCenter last night, they took a moment to acknowledge this point. They didn't show a full field angle, but it seemed like a long, strong throw! If this was ice hockey, it might even have been a goalie assist!

3. Ian Curtis

Ian Curtis New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Don't worry I hear they're going to fight them on the beaches

Anyway, glad to see that the media is making sure to give Howard credit for that amazing throw. If this whole soccer thing doesn't work out for him, he might have a career in American Football.

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saifi -1
    Halimi +1

5. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    went through all 200+ posts to try to avoid bringing coals to newcastle but do have an angle or two to offer:

sounds the same in french too. because they're not spelling out the letters but just mimicking the way americans say it.

my feelings exactly! on french TV we got two angles, on one the announcers said he was just offside, on the other they said "hhhm, he's onside after all". maybe he was offside by a toe? maybe his arm was past the defender? (arms don't count)... but the replays didn't say up long enough to analyze them to the marrow and a good thing too. one of the banes of video replay would be judging offside right down to the millimeter and that was never the intention of the law. the goal stands. the call was indeed very close. and close should go to the attacking side.
    it seems regrettable, but you can't call it a world cup if you only invite the brazils, germany and USA's and that means refs as well. koulibaly was indeed horrible and not only on that last call. but USA-SLO was not a "top game". they handed this one to de bleekere, they don't get much better than he.

it took my son a long time to find basketball exciting to watch even though it's the sport he plays. too much scoring! a basket is no more than a potato chip, a football goal is a poularde en demi-deuil!

the problem is that most americans will always prefer potato chips to capons with truffles.

algeria was pressing forward in desperation at the end, but they were out of poop. it wasn't a matter of wanting it, they just didn't have the legs.

i was worried this could be a problem at the end but the fennecs played it straight; even knowing 2 goals was utopia they scrapped for one at the risk of leaving 50 meters open range at their backs.

ah, tony, if they only knew... n'est-ce pas? all that bordeaux down the sewers for nothing.

i listened to grégoire margotton and olivier rouyer (excellent pair) do the match and though they were naturally pro-algeria for 60', when 2 goals were clearly no longer in the cards (and stimulated by the great match the yanks were playing) they were obviously pulling for the USA.

when you don't hear a defender's name that's generally a good thing. cherundolo had the biggest customer on the field to deal with and as we say il l'a dégouté de la vie.

this!

that!

the other thing!

yeah, i know! i was kind of edgy about my neighborhood but it was quiet, no incidents at all, nothing.

a great lesson in life is that it's ALWAYS too early to get cocky!

i'm a mod that generally agrees but in a thread that generates 200 posts in a few hours you can't have it.

6. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess he realized that he couldn't beat a bunch of men, so he tried to beat a woman.

He failed at that, too, apparently.

7. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take a look at the video, and you tell me if it was a close call.

1) the tape shows clearly that Dempsey is squarely level with the defender when the ball is passed.
    2) doubt goes to the attack, per the rules
    3) the configuration of players is such (only 4 players inthe area, keeper clearly back, passer clearly upfield, the two players in question essentially not moving during the period in question, and within a clear field of vision from the touchline) that a *properly positioned AR* would have had no difficulty making the correct call.

This wasn't a case of trying to time the moment when players moving in opposite directions pass each other, which the linesmen generally have been beasts about getting right. Stunning, really. This was not a hard call, it was easy, and they still totally blew it.

You show me someone who thinks that call was close, and I'll show you someone who needs to spend some time reading the Laws of the Game. It wasn't close. It wasn't even close to close. You could use this play as a diagram to demonstrate the definition of "onside"

8. Adam Alberts

Adam Alberts Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe that dude smacked that chick out of nowhere....in America he would be locked up immediately.

9. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They apparently have a history. Similar incident happened last year.

10. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It goes back even one step further. For Donovan to be that open, he had to recognize it and break. He was probably on his horse before the header came in to Timmy. Perfect throw and from that moment Algeria were in trouble.

11. SoccerKowboy

SoccerKowboy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 13, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so you know, Saifi is known for being a hothead and unpredictable. He's kind of the Algerian Cassano.

He has scored a lot of international goals. I think he has almost as many as the rest of the Algerian roster combined.

12. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cassano? Oh pshaw.

Seems more like Edmundo "O Animal" from Brasil.