Match 37 | Slovenia vs England | June 23 | Post-Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP C: England, USA, Algeria, Slovenia' started by JaredSS07, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not easily pleased but we were much the better team. You can't focus in Slovenia's chances to equalise without also looking at out slew of chances.

2. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I think now that with hindsight we will really regret not scoring a second goal. By failing to top the group we have a potential path of Germany, Argentina, Spain and then Brazil. No team has ever come through such a hard route to win it.

Meanwhile one of the USA, Ghana, Uruguay or South Korea will be in the semi-finals.

3. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And no team will so that's not good news for England, Germany and to a lesser extet Argentina.

We can hope that Spain end up second in their group.

4. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am sure I am very late, but if not, here is the best scene of the match as a .gif:

[​IMG]

:)

Sadly it was not Terry's head which blocked the ball, but Glen "I protect my balls" Johnson.

5. Matjaz

Matjaz New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    This scene looks funnier every time I look at it, although I have to give credit to Johnson, he shows England really was in this match with the heart.

Dedič should have scored here though.

6. Stric_Matic

Stric_Matic Member

Slovenia
    Jan 26, 2010
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    True, though you have to take into account that losing by a margin of more than 1 goal would bring up another problem - what if Algeria managed to score and win the other game? That would put them on 4 points with a GD of 0 while Slovenia losing 2:0 would have a GD of -1...

But generally there was not enough guts and conviction from us, though we did start getting some chances toward the end, when England were more concerned with preventing the equalizer than getting another goal and winning the group

7. Stric_Matic

Stric_Matic Member

Slovenia
    Jan 26, 2010
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    Biggest reason for losing (besides some defensive mistakes) was that our midfield was pretty much non-existant. We always gave possesion away in the middle in about 5 seconds, then backed away and let England push us right into the penalty box

We should be more aggresive in the mid and even the attackers should be coming back, putting pressure on the english back line, breaking up the organization of their attacks early. Not let them set nice and cosy up on our half for a constant siege.

8. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think England have the team to do so, but do the players have the belief?

9. toll_booth

toll_booth New Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Nice.

10. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Don't they know both teams in the other game by now? Algeria had yet to score in two games. The US had scored 3 times and always played better in the second half. If your concerned about committing early then wait until the 70th minute to push. But make sure to push hard! At that point you have to say to yourself let's go for broke and see if we can win the whole group.

11. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I liked watching England play Slovenia. They looked slower but they dictated play better than usual. The Poms should have score three or four though and Defoe should start every game from now on. Rooney has been a disappointment and Lampard hasn't been impressive. Johnston, Gerrard, A Cole and Milner played well.

Slovenia lacked creativity in midfield and a decent striker. The US result stuffed them up though and they shouldn't have blown a 2-0 lead.