Match 36 Greece vs. Argentina: Pre-match/In-match discussion (R)

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Greece vs. Argentina

June 22nd 1:30pm
    Venue: Peter Mokaba Stadium (Polokwane)

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. We will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Re: Match 36 Greece vs. Argentina: Pre-match discussion

Now this is the match of the tournament that I am really looking forward to, to seeing the Argentines taking on the Greeks since the last time these countries ever faced off at a FIFA World Cup was back in 1994 in USA, that was 16 years ago. Now I want to see how the Greeks who everyone is hyping up to be this really defensive tactical team handle themselves against Messi and company, and most importantly because the style of play between the 2 teams is so different, that it is what makes for an excellent match a classic in my opinion.

This time around I think Argentina will beat Greece 3-0, that is the scoreline I am predicting for this match

3. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece

The only chance Greece can take something positive from this is if Argentina has already qualified and wants to take a rest.
    I support Argentina from Mexico 86 so i dont care who wins, i hope both qualify.
    Prediction 0-2

4. jethy

jethy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Boring 0-0 draw, simply put. Both teams go through.

5. soccerer1978

soccerer1978 New Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC

I think this is the key and I pretty much agree with you.
    If the things go as most people expect, we will see a game that both of the teams are going to be more interested in saving strength and getting ready for the next round, rather than dying in the fiels in order to get a result.

Do not forget that this is very important especially in such a tournament that luck, details and stragedy are the most important things.

6. free bet

free bet New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK

2 - 1 for Diego´s team ... easy win here...

7. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I'm going to call Greece 3-2. You heard it here first. Argentina won't even give a ********, cuz Nigeria will beat Korea.

8. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006

Diego may try out some new players, rest others however I have a feeling he may keep mostly the same team, play well and gain even more confidence & experience. Greece is way too slow of a team to compete. I'm guessing we will see changes at defense and midfield areas more than up front, though maybe we can expect to see Aquero, Milito and Palermo.

Greece is too slow and got way lucky with Nigeria. If Greece presses, they will be caught on the counter. If they bunker, then I guess you guys can see my prediction on what would happen if S. Korea was to bunker.

The only thing Greece could do is play hard and dirty as all hell. Hard fouls and rough/dangerous tackles early on. That way the Argies will back off to avoid injuries. I expect Greece to do just that.

Scoreline: 0-0 or 6-0

9. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Not sure about that, considering that we're not mathematically qualified yet, yes there needs to be a combination of results for Argentina to not qualify, but still.

10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

Argentina, give Greece a 1-0 win please. Please. Please.

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

I was there in 1994. Maradona should rest Heinze and other players with card issues.

12. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009

Aren't yellows during group play reset in the 2nd round?

13. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

yes they are

14. jattcity

jattcity Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Surrey, BC, Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

This is a scary situation for Greece, Argentina are unsure who they will play as a striker along-side Higuain and still a few positions up for grabs I think some of Argentina's players are gonna show Maradona what they got

15. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Argentina like in 2006 don't have a vast drop in talent between starters and subs so it's very possible that the scenario you mention can happen. Now I do admit this is the best Argentina has played collectively in a very long time but I still see some of the defensive lapses that have killed us going back a few years. Greece is riding high on emotion I can be sure of and will want to come out and end group play on a high note. I expect a hard fought match and Argentina to squeak by though it's not 100% yet.

16. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF

Argentina should play all starters except for carded and injured players. Maybe one or two changes is ok. Messi and Masc should play. We need to build a rhythm, and historically succesful teams don't rest for the third game.

17. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006

I'm expecting to see the WC 2010 Rivaldo Award going to one of the Greeks in this game. Quote it.

18. Loco

Loco Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Ja Ja Ja!! so sad that one of the greatest players of all time is remember for the worst dive of all time. ouch.

but I digress, since yellows are reset after the group stage, that is a none issue. True if a Red is issued, that would affect the next game. but I don't think that should be an issue, since I don't see Argentina playing a very intensive game.

*I think that we should rest Tevez; he runs a ton and I want him fully fit for next round, and Kun is a PERFECT fit at Tevez's position.

*Heinze and Samuel are the other obvious "take a place on the bench". Clemente Rodriguez and Burdisso, come on down!

*I would love to sit Mascherano for this game (geee!!! wouldn't Cambiaso come in handy at this point???).

*Bruja, thank you sir, but you can also sit for this game. Maxi, come on down.

*Messi and Higuain both should play. Messi to keep the rhythm build up, and Higuain is eyeing a golden boot, and he could get at least one against Greece. However, after the first half, Pastore in for Messi.

19. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I heard that they changed it for this World Cup, yellow cards aren't reset until quarter finals...:confused:

Can anybody confirm that?

20. zant

zant Member

Sep 7, 2009
    trikala,greece
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  21. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

probable argentina line up:
    -----------------Romero
    Otamendi----Demi--Burdisso---Clemente
    -------Veron-----Bolatti------Maxi
    ------------------Messi
    -----------Milito--------Aguero

22. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Seeing as how Argentina is walking all over the teams in their group beating their opponents in decisive fashion, I say that now they will beat the Greeks, but since the Greeks have momentum after their win against Nigeria, that Greece will be looking to play massive defensive game against Argentina, but it won't due any good, Argentina wins 3-0

23. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Yes, but you receive the second yellow card on the third game. You have to sit out the R16. If Heinze does not get a yellow on the third game, his first yellow will be gone.

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I think the scoreline would be 3-0 or 4-1

like Brazil, Argentina defense often losing some concentration when they're 2 or 3 goals ahead so I'm not surprise if they conceided one.

Greece needs 3 clear goals to elimimate Argentina, that's also if Korea beat NIgeria by similar margin. If Argentina can score first then it's over, they're in round 16.

25. songjim

songjim Member

Dec 9, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic