Match 36 Greece vs. Argentina: Post-match discussion (R)

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by damnecuadorian, Jun 22, 2010.

1. DiablesRouges

DiablesRouges Member

Jun 13, 2010
    Campbell, California
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    There is some pure comedic gold in this thread. To be honest I think Forlan has been the best player thus far, but to suggest that Messi hasn't been world class is absolute folly. He's been striking the ball with authority which few if any have been able to do. His incisive runs have been causing havok for opposing defenses.

Oh look Argentina has nine points and hasn't looked challenged thus far ...

I'm sorry if he hasn't doesn't duplicated his run versus Getafe.

Your expectations are way too high ...

He's been superb thus far maybe not at the 4 goals in a game level but certainly at a level than any team in the World Cup would love to have.

2. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    let the hate keep coming. these clowns have been doubting and will continue to do so until we lift the trophy. this was a training exercise today for argentina and we still could have won 4 or 5-0.

who cares that messi hasn't scored, if you think it will effect him you obviously don't know the guy or havent seen his celebration when higuain scored his rebound in the last game or when palermo put it in today.

3. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Well bunker on this world cup was mainly beaten by a great individual move with good pass or nice shot.

(and please messi lovers it is impossible to have a discussion with you guys. You might consider me as an outsider but every thing I have posted was later confirmed as spot on)

4. atljogger

atljogger New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Very disappointed with Veron and Milito tonight. Veron looks slow out there - he can't get to balls and he made some poor passes. As for Milito, I thought Maradona made a mistake at beginning of tournament not starting him over Higauin but after today's performance looks like Maradona made the right call (Higauin's hat-trick helps obviously)

As for Messi, he may be play-making and getting assists but the media cares about goals. It gets annoying to always hear how he chokes on the big stage or can't deliver when it counts, especially from my fellow American friends/family who know nothing about soccer other than what Alexi Lalas tells them on ESPN.

5. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Or maybe, you are the only one who isn`t able to see for your own eyes how talented that he is and what has he done for his team. Better think about it......
    ;)

6. leomessi1919

leomessi1919 New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    you said messi has not been world class, that is absolutely off base.

i have no idea team you support but i assume england or brazil, maybe we wil shall see you later on

7. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I am not disputing his talent, I am questioning his game on this WC. Today it was shown why. Ok, he is playmaker. Lets say this is true (IMO Argentina is playing without playmaker at the moment, attackers forced to play this part - same is with Kaka in Brazil). We have seen how good playmaker he is. Today, against bunker when playmaking is really crucial he did very little. 1on1 was terrible, had he done one deep pass that would make a chance at all?

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    The R16 threads are up in the Knockout Rounds forum.

9. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    :eek:

???????

Come on, don`t make jokes as this, you`re killing me........:D

10. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Messi was unlucky on two occasions, he's been unselfish and responsable, did we forget about the fact that he was captain today? he showed maturity far above his age. he's been causing mayhem with every defence in this world cup, including Greece's extremely organized defence. He's been the playmaker in-chief for Them and you think he's not world class? even after being top scorer in the Champs league two years running, as well as winning the pichichi this year. But he's not world class to you? :D

11. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    So this one match that was mostly irrelevant for Argentina since they were all but through and Diego rested 8 stasrters or so is your argument as to why Messi hasn't been good for the entire cup? What about the 2 prior matches? What about the fact that he's been in involved in 4 of the 7 goals Argentina have scored?

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Messi had some brilliant moves and moments, and did well over all, but he also on occasion acted very selfishly with the ball. Still, there is no denying in my mind that he is the best player in the world right now and that he is showing that in this World Cup as well. Indeed, in no small part because of Messi, Argentina has been the most impressive side in this tournament and fully deserving of its 9 points. They will, however, need to think hard about their defense with Demichellis just a mistake waiting to happen, notwithstanding the fact that today his mistakes in the back didn't end up hurting Argentina while his goal certainly broke the deadlock and allowed Argentina to be rewarded for their domination.

13. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    stop you are killing me. I just gave an example as to why I don't consider him as playmaker. Kaka has same problems - bad in duels, many lost balls with few good ones.
    Look, if you are one of the best players in the world (I am not disputing that - I am disputing the outcome) and majority of balls go through you you will have at least 3rd or 4th pass on the attack.

14. Dustyvinyl

Dustyvinyl Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Santa Ana,Ca
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Messi is the best player in the World because he doesn't think about his hair all the time, and Good to See Palermo score one in WC.

15. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great match by both fullbacks, Clemente and Otamendi, the youngster who in reality is a centre back, Bolatti stole the show on midfield, he served as a good replacement for Mascherano, and Diego hit the nail with the substitutions again.:)

After the crash between Tsorvas and the greek defender i thought to myself, "Oh my... We may not win, but in no way we can finish this match without scoring at least once".:D

16. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    We need to seriously think about how we're going to deal with teams that put a band of defenders in front of the box. Maybe the way is to move Messi out to the wing, and put Di Maria on the opposite wing, while drawing our CM deeper, that would stretch them a lot.

17. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    LOL at Ombak for giving me a negative point for saying how Brazil's performance wasn't that great against North Korea when he tried to cuss Argentina's defence, thats funny

:rolleyes:

18. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi has an ego ? News to the football world.

Perhaps you should ask his team mates at Barca and Argentina and his managers about how selfless and humble a player he is.

He is a team player par excellence much as Diego was and which is the reason Diego is still loved by all his former team mates unlike a certain Pele.

19. PeanutFlush

PeanutFlush Member

Jul 8, 2009
    NoVa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think Messi and Kaka are playing at the same level in this World Cup you need to look again. Messi has been unlucky/not as good as he can be in front of goal, but he's still terrorizing everyone and setting up teammates. Kaka spent the whole North Korea game flopping over and over (against North Korea! Why!) and was a large part of the reason Brazil took so long to score.

20. EcuaAlexa

EcuaAlexa Member

Aug 8, 2007
    I for one am glad that Messi is waiting to score all his goals in the knock out stages.

I hope that he plays off of Pastore, instead of Veron, because they seem to be of like minds.

Messi has played a slightly different role with Argentina, and he's adapted well. I can see glimpses of the monster he will be in Brazil 2014, when he'll have the midfield and the front as equal strengths, with the maturity to guide people.

Even now, he's the only real wizard in the WC. Believe me - Higuain will thank his lucky stars for all the goals that will come in as a result of Messi's work.

Messi's the only star that has lived up to his name so far. Today he seemed a little weighed down by the captain's arm band, but he seems to get over stuff like that quickly. I just ho[pe the rest of the team works to release his talents in the next faze of the tournament.

21. TKORL

TKORL Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    I didn't expect a great game from Messi, they did exactly what they should and got the desired result. Messi needs to learn to deal with this pressuring with his back to goal, because when he turns, it totally opens up the other defense.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did you guys see Palermo score? I have to make sure I wasn't dreaming.

That was awesome! Only Maradona has the cojones to name Palermo to the squad, and of course he delivers.

23. navijacica

navijacica Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I never said that. I am just saying they both more or less suck as playmakers.

24. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Kaka sucks as a playmaker? :confused:

25. CABJ

CABJ New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    People...please stop feeding the troll!!!

Obviously "navijacica" is just getting a kick out of rousing people. On the off chance "navijacica" is actually stating his/her true opinion, then he/she is clueless (probably clueless isn’t a strong enough word)

So this person is either trolling or clueless (or worse)…so save your posts and move on to other more intelligent futbol exchanges

BTW…anybody else would like to see Pastore start ahead of Maxi or Brujita? Or, would that be too risky?