Match 35 Nigeria vs. Korea Republic: Pre-match/In-match discussion (R)

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, Greece' started by Moishe, Dec 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Nigeria vs. Korea Republic

June 22nd 1:30pm
    Venue: Durban Stadium (Durban)

Feel free to discuss the match in this pre-match thread. We will add more details to the first post if necessary and encourage everyone to start discussion now that the schedule is set.

Threads are usually closed at 500 posts - so expect new threads closer to the event. Moderators will try to close the thread at a logical transition point and will always provide a link to the most current thread.

2. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Re: Match 35 Nigeria vs. Korea Republic: Pre-match discussion

Nigeria have this game in the bag, I mean there is no way that they can lose to South Korea because Nigeria are probably going to be playing in front of so many Nigerian fans in their own continent of Africa, on African soil in South Africa, and Nigeria their style of play and their pace, South Korea I think won't be able to keep up with the Nigerians much less defend against them on set pieces, free-kicks, etc.

As well in South Africa it is going to be probably "heatwavish-type" weather in South Africa, and the Nigerians are going to be used to that type of weather. I don't know about the South Koreans, it is probably going to be hard for them playing in that type of weather, so I see Nigeria beating Korea Republic like 2-1

3. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

• It's supposed to be winter in S.A.
    • South Africa isn't Nigeria. That's like saying Korea has home advantage because the match is being played in Thailand
    • Korea is a pacy, counter-attacking team
    • Korea has a very good record against African sides
    • See recent result vs. Ivory Coast

4. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

Not the same. Africans will back Africans. It's a matter of continental pride. They won't be as fervent as whilst backing SA, but the crowd will be strongly pro-Nigerian. Plus there is an estimated 1 mln Nigerians living in RSA.

5. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

Game on brother.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

Home advantage is about more than just who the crowd cheers for.

The Mexico-USA rivalry illustrates this point. The home team almost always wins even though most of the crowd is cheering for Mexico regardless which country its played in.

People who are expecting Sub-Saharan African teams to steam-roll the other second and third-tier teams just because the WC is in Africa are likely going to be in for an unpleasant surprise.

7. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

Who exactly expects that? Nonetheless in general Africa has done relatively well against 2nd and 3rd tier sides, so I see no reason why his should be an exception. The reason that Nigeria SHOULD win this game is simple: They have better players.

I fully accept Korea' strength:
    - very fast and very fit;
    - strong on the counter;
    - good record against African teams;
    - great organisation of play.

I think Korea and Nigeria will both steamroll over Greece, but this should be an even contest. I think Nigeria should take it, but I wouldn't bet on it. I can easily see Korea advancing (the only AFC side that has a shout at advancing).

The only thing I disagree about is that Nigeria will feel like they have home advantage and the crowd will be overwhelmingly backing the Nigerians.

8. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

Regardless, I'm sure the bookies will install Nigeria as the favorites.

9. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

For us to win, we need
    -Stay disciplined on midfield and defense
    -Offensive efficiency
    -Score first (Most important)

10. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Really hard to guess the outcome of this match at this point. Nigeria beat Thailand 4-0. Too early to tell because everybody can beats Thailand with at least a margin of 3 goals. A good Ego boosting match nevertheless.

11. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006

That was South Africa, not Nigeria.

12. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

this is going to be a cracker of a match!

best of luck to the Eagles and likewise, i'm sure the Taeguk Warriors will give you full value.

can't wait for this one - Pilseung Korea!

13. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Please keep this thread on topic. The purpose is to discuss the particular match not the state or discipline of African teams as a whole. Thanks:)

14. salamilover

salamilover New Member

May 29, 2010

It would be a heck of great match.
    It won't be easy for South Korea to edge Nigeria since Nigeria has employed a good coach.
    Nigeroia's forwarders aren't strong to threat South Korean defenders so Korea has a good chance to edge Nigeria.

Wish good luck to South Korea.

15. oxygen041

oxygen041 New Member

Jul 15, 2003
    china

korea is doing good at personal skill and defend. Africa team has weak spirit. I think Korea will win

16. olimpialv

olimpialv Member

Jun 13, 2010
    las vegas, nv
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

That's true. Korea showed great defensive performance last game against the greeks. Strong in attack but still missing too much kill shots.
    African team always had weak spirit and great individual skills and power.
    Hope in this match they have a bad day.
    Anyway this last game depends what we do against the argentinians in the second game. If we at least tie and they can't beat the Greeks (very possible because for the greeks will be their final chance), Nigerians has almost no chance.

17. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

Defending against Greece and Nigeria are 2 entirely different things. What worries me is the fitness of the Koreans, they are much more fit than our guys and can run for the whole game, while our guys seem to tire out. It will be interesting to see which of these 2 teams will be ahead on points and goal difference going into this final game.

18. Bruticus

Bruticus Member

May 18, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

How the hell does Nigeria have weak spirit they never stopped fighting right till the end against Argentina! Same with South Africa and Ghana... the only bad team so far has been Cameroon.

19. Corporation X

Corporation X Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    Suckmydickastan

I think that is too much and unfair to our opponents to say. Both teams will most likely be fighting for the right to advance. Nigeria has their own strengths as do we. It will not be a lopsided victory for either side.

20. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine

It's really too bad that Kaita (and Taiwo too?) will not be available for the match. As much I would like S. Korea to advance, as a soccer fan I would prefer to see teams playing at their full strength, playing to their full potential.

I think it's time for Huh to turn to his young players. He has now used a same front 6 lineup for several matches now, and everyone can see the cards he's holding and how he likes to play them. Huh needs to bring Kim Bo-Kyung on the left and Lee Seung Yeoul to partner up with Park Chu-Young (who remains Korea's best target forward option). He also needs to bring back Cha Du-Ri as the RB. Finally, he needs to use his substitutions better--his decisions today against Argentina were rather enigmatic and had no impact.

21. hbl33

hbl33 Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Huh made a big mistake by putting Oh Beom Seok in the starting squad against Argentina. Yeom Kihun and Park Chu Young should be off the squad for upcoming match, considering how Park blew up vs Spain and [both] against Argentina so far. I can't trust Jung Sungryong so far as the group matches proceed. His GK'ing has been less than stellar, and often falters where needed.

22. GoYoungrokba

GoYoungrokba Member+

May 21, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

We will still have to play for a win. It will be less likely that Greece will beat Argentina but who knows. Also, it is dangerous to play not to lose.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran

I had previously picked Nigeria to beat S.Korea and I will stick with that prediction even though Nigeria (except for their goalie) has been totally unimpressive and uninspired.

24. olimpialv

olimpialv Member

Jun 13, 2010
    las vegas, nv
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Hope you're wrong. Nigeria still has big chances to advance if they win by 2 goals difference. They are dangerous when concentrated and focus to the match.

25. songjim

songjim Member

Dec 9, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Actually, all they need is a win and a Greece loss. Doesn't matter what the goal difference.