Match 32: Spain-Honduras 21 June (Pre-Match)

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ----------------------------------------------
    Match 32

Spain --Honduras

21 June @ Johannesburg 2030 hrs.
    CET 2030 hrs.
    EST 1430 hrs.
    PST 1130 hrs.

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Re: Match 32: Spain-Honduras 21 June

I hope we can get some revenge off this match for how we got ripped off back in 82.

3. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway

Hoping for a Honduras win here. Make it two in a row for CONCACAF over Spain! :D

4. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Spain will beat Honduras this time around, as Spain will torch Honduras 5-0 guaranteed, as Spain are just too good of a team right now, and especially since they are #1 in the world, no one can play with them much less keep up with them, and Honduras even though they are talented, not as talented as Spain

5. Slotback

Slotback Member

Jun 19, 2004

Unfortunately for Honduras, this Spain team is light years better than their 1982 side. Still I think Honduras gives them a good game before going down 3-1.

6. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Me, now honestly I see the Spaniards totally having their way with Honduras in this match, since Spain is far more superior than Honduras, so I see Spain now winning this match 4-2

7. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    With GD looming as the tie breaker if all teams beat Honduras and there is a 3 way tie at the top, Spain has to score big against Honduras so that they can go into the Chile match knowing that a win is all they need against Chile to make it into the KO stage as the champ or runner up!

Aupa Espanha!

Er Pichi

8. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    chile may likely end up ruing all those missed chances against honduras.

9. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Or Spain will go two games in a row w/o winning ;)......probably not, but we can dream.

VAMOS HONDURAS! SI VAS PERDIENDO MAS TE ALIENTO!!!

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

So what ?, this Honduras team is also light years better than their 1982 side too. So a deception is also possible this time. Spain usually has the same problem that all hispanic teams have, they always tend to minimize to potentials of their rivals, specially in World Cups, which has given them more than one upset in the past, so it can still happen now. Besides, nobody expects much from Honduras in this match, and that is when they become more dangerous towards Spains ambitions.

The "catrachos", can still give us all, a pleasant surprise.:)

11. garogaro

garogaro New Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I am a Honduras fan, but I do believe that they are going to get slaughtered by Spain next game. Spain will come out blazing and will take it out on Honduras for their loss against Switzerland. I predict a 2-0 minimum in favor of spain. I hope I am wrong, but I justt have a gut feeling about this.

12. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A 2-0 victory by Spain is not what I would consider a slaughter. Now a 5-0 victory is more like a slaughter. Guess we'll have to wait and find out!

Aupa Espanha!

Er Pichi

13. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    The 82 Honduras team ended 1st place in CONCACAF...this one squeaked in.

14. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Like I said in the other threads, as much as you lose, it won't get as bad as what happened to the country I support. So keep your head up and be proud that you are even witnessing Honduras make history just by being there.

15. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    The 82 Honduras team played every game at home. ;)

16. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    ...which makes the accomplishment that much more impressive considering there is always pressure to get a result in front of the home fans.

17. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thats a weird way to see it. I say Honduras is strong at home, and it helped alot. That team might not have made it had the tournament been played in Mexico or a Caribbean country. I think the accomplishment of qualifying is more strenuous nowadays, because coaches don't get as much time with teams, and we had to go get a result away of home to qualify.

None the less 1982 and 2010 generations are heroes to me.

18. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Great point.

Hopefully you and your fanbase really enjoy this expierence and don't critize the lads so much...you'll have time to grow in 4 years time and then when you get to the WC again, then it's reasonable to expect/demand better results.

19. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    We criticize the lack of effort more than the lack of quality. Its the balls that sometimes seem to lack. Pavon got me frustrated walking around, and well its the WC, where is the sense of urgency?

You cannot criticize a team if they give it their all, regardless of the result, but when you know your team is capable of more....it just bothers you alot.

20. Del Valle89 redded

Jun 19, 2010
    Hopefully Honduras has the same discipline Switzerland had so we can see another upset. Is Suazo ready for this match? His speed can expose the slow spain CB's.

21. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I chuckled there a little. David Suazo has no speed left. Injuries have taken the burst of speed that made him a lethal striker. Now he is a below average striker who tries to turn and run with the ball, but does not have the speed and mostly loses the ball, on the better occasions he gets fouled, but he does not get away from defenders, sadly for us. :(

With his diminished speed, you would have thought he'd have learned to play the positioning game, which is so important for a number 9. He lacks that, and he lacks in finishing touch. Really sad for him TBH.

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    He's still faster than Pique and Puyol smh.

tbh, I expect the countering to come from Mosky. Now Mosky is a complete animal. Absolute Speed Demon that can dribble. the Counter is going to leave a lot of space and some time for Alvarez who WILL outrun that Spanish defense. and most likely dribble past and probably garner a foul.

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sunday's training session at Ellis Park

Images from Spain's workout on Sunday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Sunday's training session at Ellis Park

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Re: Sunday's training session at Ellis Park

Honduras took to the pitch following Spain's session.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]