Match #31 :: The Final :: Sunday 29 June [R]

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by unclesox, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    I have seen plenty say spain deserved to win by more, now please stop crying:rolleyes:

2. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am just watching a SWEET recap of Euro 2008 (lots of music and slow motion) on ESPNNEWS. Hats off to you ESPN.

3. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And kudos to Podolski for not acting like he caught a square headbutt. He did not. Silva barely touched him and again, Podolski leaned in first. If one had gone, both would have gone. You write like Podolski did nothing.

He was the aggressor and was clearly trying to draw the card. Had a Spanish player done the same, you'd be here crying about what kind of scumbag he was for provoking Podolski.

Even the Germans here shut up about it after seeing the replay.

4. -Fifth CharM-

-Fifth CharM- BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2007
    In all honesty Spain deserved to win this match at least 3-0. They completely outplayed their opponent for most part of the match and despite being 1 goal up they were the team attacking,

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Felicidades, Espana!

6. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Look :

1) I was under the impression that what podolski did by leaning in was not an offence punishable by a red card. He leant in, but is that a card offence?

2) I thought that a headbutt, no matter how hard or soft it is, was a red card. Just like raising your hand to a guy's face is a red card. Or like frings' punch against cruz in the fight in 06.

I am not complaining so don't put a spin on what I'm saying. I'm wanting to just clarify the rules.

7. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen
    From all finals which Germany has lost in history, this one did upset me at least. Spain truly deserved this win. Congratulations!

However I think we did a great job too. This was the 13th final in a major tournament in 54 years. With this defence simply we didn't desreve more. Of course I am sorry for Ballack, but we have now many young stars which can challenge several tournaments until 2014.

8. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're nuts. That play was near the top of the box. That's Lahm's play all the way and he got his ass kicked on the play. I was amazed Lehmann got there as quickly as he did.

Torres kicked Lahm's ass and beat Lehmann, who should have never been called upon to even save that play.

9. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No I don't agree. The game had some periods of neutrality and in the first 20-25 mins of the 2nd half spain were defending. After that they started to control possession more and also had some good chances on the counterattack.

Spain deserved to win without a doubt, but did not outplay germany by as much as you say.

As for the goals, yes it could have easily been 3-0, but the best of those chances were on the counter in the last quarter of the game, so for me that "could have been" doesn't carry as much weight. Spain had some good chances earlier in the game too, but Germany had enough to cancel those "could have been"s out.

10. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yup, lahm got owned on that play. When it first happened I thought "ok, he's got it covered" and looked away momentarily to get my water or something, and then suddenly the commentator is raising his voice

11. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    Owned:cool:

12. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Totally agree with that post.

13. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    er, no. I always knew you had reading-comprehension problems

14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great game, but Andy Gray should stay on Sky Sports and shouldn't commentate on major tournaments. It sounded like he was Fernando Torres's Butt Buddy

15. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, this one is by far the least upsetting. I have the same feeling now as after the italy semifinal at the last world cup. Even though that game was even, the deserving team won the game.

16. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know what match you were watching. From what I saw, Germany played well the first 10 minutes of the match and for about a 7 or 8 minute stretch in the second half. Other than that, from what I was watching, Spain was in control.

In the final 15 minutes you could see the frustration on the Germans' faces. They were beaten. Nothing they tried worked.

I agree with the others. Were it not for some saves Lehmann made, Spain would have won 3-0.

And it would have been totally deserved.

17. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    ER yes it appears most people are siding with me and Not You Funboy!

lol The real germans are taking their defeat as a man does why cant you plastic German do the same:rolleyes:

18. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least a team like Greece didn't win;)

19. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah spain were in control but they were mostly defending (ie. in their own half) for the first 20-25 minutes of the 2nd half weren't they?

I was refuting the guy who said that spain were still attacking.

Yeah i agree

I don't think the play reflected a 3-0 margin on the scoreboard. If you go by balance of play. 3-0 is very big.

20. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I am totally taking the defeat but that doesn't mean I have to make myself believe that germany were outplayed by as big a margin as some are making out.

As for plastic german fans - well you're an english fan so what are you doing here??

21. footyfan1

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but they weren't attacking all out either. They played a very calm match.

And such was the difference between the teams in my opinion. Germany didn't play badly, but Spain was that much better tonight from what I saw. Much better and certainly much more composed.

22. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    FERNANDO TORRES LIVERPOOLS NUMBER9

NA NA NA NA NA NA

smoke it pal this tourney went to my liking the Lucky Turks put on their a$$, then Ze Germans made to cry by The Liverpool Legend:cool:

I foreseen it all funboy:cool:

23. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    see what I mean? This is why you shouldn't even be in this thread.

*Funny that you use the word "cry" and no german player on the field actually cried.

24. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fernando Torres got lucky, beating a 38 year old goalkeeper takes a lot of skill:rolleyes: and the german defender messed it up

25. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats to Spain on the deserved win & the 2nd European title! Great team and worthy champ!

Germany started offensively and played pretty well in the first 15 minutes, but then Spain gained more & more control of the game and didn't have many problems to defend the 1:0 with its great midfield passing (except for 7-10 minutes after Kuranyi came in).

Ballack was poor once again (he'd better not have played), so I don't wonder we didn't stand a real chance tonight...