Match 31: Chile-Switzerland:: Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yeah, where we came second and had to face Brazil and subsequently lost to runner ups. We haven't won a group in a long long time...

Don't even get my compatriots started on that world cup tough, some bad things happened against Italy. But that's getting off topic.

Let's see how the rest of the matches play out from here on in!

2. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Those missed chances by Paredes piss me off as much as an own goal would. :mad:

3. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That's assuming Honduras loses both matches, I wouldn't count them out just yet!

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, but with three draws, and a robbery after the referee, invented a pk in the first match against Italy, where the italians were loosing and only through this way they were able to tie the game (where ?, have I seen something similar, mmm...). We have never won a group phase, ridv34, my friend. In the next round, it happened what usually happens when we face our regular "beast", Brazil, we lost 4 - 1.
    :p

5. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

6. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm taking a contrarian stance. I actually think Chile would have been more likely to have won, and even perhaps won by 2 or more if the red had never happened. The Swiss were playing more open soccer before the red, and when they got the red, an already tough defense to break down, became even harder to break as the Swiss packed it in. I actually thought there were a lot more openings to exploit for Chile when the Swiss were hunting for an opening 1-0 goal, then when they decided to play lock down soccer after the red. Anyway, i definitely do not think a draw would have been a fair result, 2-1 or 2-0 strikes me as what would have been fair and most likely had Chile not been oddly miserable in their finishing yet again.

7. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile v Spain is going to be an awesome match....

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

9. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Entertaining and exciting match, no doubt about it, but as a Chilean i suffered a little more than i would of liked...

The red for swiss player was not deserved, but it was a foul. Both team simulated.
    Chile deserved the win, we dominated even with 11 players, and theres nothing more disappointing than watching Switzerland or any other team play with 2 lines of 5 defenders.

Now im also worried about the Spain match, hopefully Honduras will take a point off Switzerland....

10. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes, we should have scored more goals and yes, it might come back to bite us in the ass.

But looking at Spain now against Honduras, looking at their slow passing and little to no pressure I can say that we at least have a chance.

11. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is one of the reasons their pissing and moaning about '02, and the supposed conspiracy in '04 is so ludicrous. Whenever that team is in any kind of trouble, they immediately put on their summer holiday speedos, and audition for the Italian Olympic Diving team.

In reference to another poster, maybe Honduras can do something, but Im skeptical. They've looked totally lost in their first two games. The team has always been up and down, very inconsistent, but this has been the down side of the team. Lost ad unthreatening, and discombobulated. They are capable of drawing the swiss, but they'd need to play like the team they were part of the time in qualifying, the team that earned some very nice results, not the team that crumbles under pressure and w/hope at their feet. I hope they go through the next 3 halves with honor as their guide, to not go out imploding, but rather with pride. I just don't think they're going too. They wont go out like France, but they will go out meekly. At least it appears so based on their first game.

A Chile-Brazil game would be a real reward for the Round of 16, but Switzerland-Brazil? That just seems like the height of tedium. Brazil fighting to break down a stultifying Swiss side until they finally do, and either do, or do not collection a second insurance goal in a very tepid game. Chile-Brazil? It might end up an arsekicking, probably would be, but it sure as heck would be entertaining.

12. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We've seen Brazil way too many time in past WC's, we to skip out on seeing them this time. And with the result of Spain, we need to go for the tie or victory. Nothing less, which makes me very nervous.

13. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Yes my friend, I think exactly the same. I wish not to have to play against Brazil and be defeated by them, once more. Its getting to feel like a scratched record. Of course I imagine, our brazilian friends wishing to "eat the same pie" as always, since for them, we are like a walk to the park, but.........:(, whatever, if our luck passes by confronting them once again and getting defeated, what the heck !. We have already done a world cup performance, beyond our wildest dreams, so we should still be happy, as happy as I am still feeling after our results accomplished. And if luck is with us, ...........
    :cool: :D

14. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Friday is going to be another nail-biter. Managed to catch this game at work (secretly) and was very loud when we scored (both the Alexis and Gonzo goals) haha. Oh man, that win was much needed. Definitely almost had a heart attack a few times.

15. aac001

aac001 New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm new to soccer. Do most matches have that many yellow/red cards? It seemed like there were a huge amount of stuff called, at least compared to the Portugal/NK game.

16. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It depends, but today's referee is a clown.

Fair victory, we did play better than the europeans, and our subs demonstrate quality in the goal.

I'm satisfied, but we need just 1 point next friday to win this group.

Best player of the match: GARY "Pitbull" MEDEL, he's the best Chilean player.:cool:

17. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    the ref was a disaster, he conditioned Mati and Carmona for the entire game, and now they're both suspended against Spain.

Interestingly enough, the game against Spain was probably the only one in which most people would have preferred Mati over Valdivia. what can you do?

Suazo didn't do much but i'm glad he got some minutes in, and he should be 100% against Spain and with some game in his system.

the goals might come to bite us in the ass, but if I can be perfectly honest, despite the risk and knowing that anything can happen:

I WOULD RATHER BE IN A GOOD POSITION TO ELIMINATE SPAIN FROM THE WC AND WIN THE GROUP, EVEN IF A SERIES OF RESULTS COULD ELIMINATE US, THAN BE COMFORTABLY SITTING IN SECOND PLACE.

- its not out of a fear of Brazil, but if this really is a team that can do big things then its time to start doing them...eliminate the European champions.

- plus winning the group, assuming Portugal-Brazil goes down like most expect, actually lines things up in a draw that could be favourable to our game....

18. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    at least that was a somewhat questionable call...the real robbery was against Cameroon when they had a goal called off for an offside that wasn't even close.

thats why i hate it when Acosta and others big up the 98 team so much. a few of them, including Acosta, has said that they accomplished more than Bielsa's side has...such BS

- they had the best attacking duo in the WORLD and only managed to qualify through goal difference over Peru
    - they made it to the second round with only 3pts, and demonstrated they couldn't keep up with Brazil in any way.

This team, even if we don't make the second round is far greater and has accomplished far more...simply by winning games, and by showing quality futbol

19. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    I'd prefer Valdivia over Mati against Spain even if Mati could play Friday after his scared play today.