Match 31: Chile-Switzerland:: Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A good win for the referee Khalil Al-Ghamdi, who now sits in a good position in Group H with 3 points.

Honestly though, sending off was a bit of a joke. He wasted no opportunity in getting his cards out on any and every occaision, booking players for so much as a dirty look. He didn't referee Serbia-Germany by any chance did he? :rolleyes:

I was actually shocked when he made the right decision with the penalty call at the end :p

As for Chile... they may well regret not putting in a few more goals against Honduras, with Spain to come and Switzerland playing Honduras in the final game. Group table could well end up with 3 teams on 6 points...

Switzerland..............6
    Spain......................6
    Chile.......................6
    Honduras.................0

Final Group H matchday will be very interesting indeed...

But then, trying to predict this World Cup has become nearly impossible.

2. clyde76778

clyde76778 New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    way too many missed shots , they will need to improve on this , if they get scored on early on by another team it will be hard for them to comeback if they can't put shots together.

3. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    But you are not chilean. So you can`t even dream what we are feeling in this moment. At the moment and at the end of the second game in group play, we are first, and nobody will be able to take that away from us. We have one of the few teams that has accomplished a double victory in this World cup, and now everybody will look at us with a little more respect. Besides our formal rival, had an unbeaten record of many games, which was broke by our team. Not any former rival they had, not even the European champion could or was able to achieve a win on them, and we did.
    :)

4. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile

You can't bring in Paredes for Carmona.

If we play with 3 defenders again then our line up based on past matches is going to look like this.
    ----------Bravo
    ----------Ponce-----------
    ------Vidal------Jara---------
    Isla-------Medel-----Bosejour
    ---------Valdivia------------
    Sanchez---suazo---Gonzalez

Paredes might be subbed in for Suazo due to his recent injury/ inactivity.

5. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad they don't get anything for starting well.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All they have to do to finish first is draw their last match. But of course, Spain is a tough opponent. Besides, there is no guarantee that Brazil will win their group.

7. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I just re-read your throughts and my bad. I see you put estrada not paredes. But yeah I wouldn't mind him in for Bose or Mark. Bose has left me a little disappointed so far.

8. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Game spoiler alert: Highlight to see the result of the Brazil-Ivory Coast match. Brazil beat Ivory coast cruising. They will be champs most likely.

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Oh they do.

Points, which are later used to determine seeding in competitions.

Once a confederation wins points by defeating teams of other confederations, those points will remain in-confederation for a long time, since most international games are in-confederation.

Every time a CONCACAF team loses, doesn't matter if it's Honduras, those are ranking points moving out of CONCACAF to the other federations.

Honduras dips in the ranking, and when the USA defeats them they won't get as many points. Hence, fewer chances for USA or Mexico to ever be seeds.

10. pinzon

pinzon New Member

Sep 5, 2009
    What?? Portugal finishes first with a win or draw against Brazil. There's no incentive to finishing first as it will probably l lead to a match against Spain.

11. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    The dice has rolled...Suazo got injured before the world cup and hasn't able to pick up his game for the world cup.

I don't think we can regret much...we have done all we can in our power and have beaten the teams we were meant to beat.

Spain will beat us anyway, regardless of how many players we have suspended or injured. I think we have done everything withing our power and, all things considered, fans will be relatively happy with the performance so far.

People forget Switzerland are now the record holding team for time without conceding a goal in a World Cup...over the likes of 2)Italy and 3)England.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Taking into account the 4X multiplier of the World Cup Finals, in fact, each defeat by a team in your confederation is a rather big loss for the whole confederation.

Friendlies have only a 1X multiplier. So that defeat of Honduras to Chile means Mexico needs to win four friendly matches vs. South American opposition to recover those points for the CONCACAF.

Respect Bielsa, he's not that good at coming from behind. Perhaps versus Spain Chile could try a defensive scheme. But I don't see Chile not attacking.

14. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Not a chance of that happening. Chile will always go for attack...

I think Spain will win 3-1 or something...but I also would not be surprised if Honduras hold Switzerland to a draw.

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [mod edit NSFW link]

:D

anyhoo... really not a great result for Chile. The commentator on Al Jazeera Sports kept on going on and on about how Chile were 'virtually through'. Should Spain beat Honduras (likely), Chile must avoid defeat against Spain in their final game. If not, a win for Switzerland over Honduras sees Chile out. They may be left to rue all those great misses... but they again I guess they do have all those great 'missus' back home.

16. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of Chileans who see it exactly the way I see it right now. As a great opportunity to get ahead in goal difference squandered against Honduras and the Swiss.

17. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Anyone who understands our soccer would know that a defending scheme would only end in a clear loss. Chile's strong points are our midfield and forwards.

In copa america 2007 we had relatively same or similar players. But the coach played completely different. It was a defensive minded team, and if you watched the copa america you saw Brazil beat us 3-0 and then 6-1. because our weakest point is our defense and we were playing a defensinve game.

That's why we love Bielsa so much. He made us defend with our forwards putting pressure on the other team. Our mids didn't shine so much because of Swtzerland using 10 players to defend. But when Switzerland started attacking, each time we took the ball back we would counter from MID FIELD to make every counter a dangerous one.

Spain will come with everything to try and score and win, which will lead to a lot of counter attacks from mid field because we put pressure on the other team before they even pass mid field. This is why if we are to have ANY chance against spain is to play our game. Playing defensively will become an automatic loss for us.

If you want an example of this look at the Chile game vs Brazil last year. They beat us 4-2 and we played the same way as today, 3 defenders 3 mids, 1 center attacking mid and 3 forwards. We outplayed them all game, and on 2 counter attacks they scored twice within 3 minutes.

If Chile plays what we know then we will win or tie. If not then we might be going home if Honduras doesn't tie or win today.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both myself, and my Chilean wife were saying the same in this match, considering that La Roja should have had at least 2 more.

19. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Ehhh, no: Chile is first right now, any way you slice and dice it.

So at least let us enjoy it 'till the Spain-Honduras game. Would that be OK with you? :rolleyes:

Thank you kindly!

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well my friend, I can give you that reasoning, but for all, its the first time in history that any Chilean, is feeling a two in a row victory streak in World cups, since 1930, and for the first time with no upsets and alone in the first place of any group. Besides the next match hasn`t been played yet, there is three games still to come, and anything can happen. The only true fact is that we have 6 points, and at the best of match day 2, there will be two others with 3 points. Now if Spain ties with Honduras, the only classified team for the next round at this moment, will be us. Tonight we`ll see if there is going to be a chance of having a 3 team draw with 6 points. Till then, we are the only ones who do.
    Anyhow, whatever happens tonight in the other match, 99,9 % of the Chileans are cellebrating as we would already be Champions, even those who like stadistics.
    :)

21. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do believe that Chilean's are feeling 2 major things right now:
    1 - Elation at being on top of the group, and winning for the first time in 40? 50? years.
    2 - Worry that not enough goals are being scored as this my mean facing Brazil in the first knock out stage.

A lot will depend on how Spain does v. Honduras.

22. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really depressing for those of us who love to watch beautiful soccer, because their terrible finishing is highly likely to leave them at a 3 way tie, at the outside looking in for a birth in the knockout rounds.

Expected Results going forward:

*Spain Beats Honduras

*Switzerland Beats Honduras

*Spain Beats Chile

All tied at six, and w/a loss to Spain, Chile will probably be somewhere between -1 and +1 in GD, Switzerland will probably be +1, to +3, and Spain will probably be +1 to +4. Chile's fate rests in its ability to pull off a draw or a shock victory over Spain, or in Honduras' ability to steal 2-3 unexpected points in these last two games.

Although it was fun and interesting, it's also devastating to think that the Bore that is the Swiss will trump Chile due to Chile's inept finishing in their first two games. I don't think I've ever seen that many sure goals, that weren't finished in two games in group play in my life. For all the French whining for their bad luck in finishing in 2002, Chile's finishing in group play has been astonishingly bad, they've done all the difficult stuff brilliantly, and managed to trip themselves up with the easiest of the work they had to do, simply putting the ball in the net w/open goals before them.

23. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I think we've played great soccer. We beat a very good defensive team, not by as much as we should have considering they were down a man, but a win is a win.

The Swiss played a very good game, but when they stopped defending and started trying to attack, two things happened:
    1. We got lucky we didn't get scored on :D
    2. They got lucky Chile didn't score on them

Either way, I'm happy with the performance of the team so far. We've done what we can without Suazo.

And I can't stress it enough, if you see the ref handing out yellows for soft fouls, don't test him. Esp not by flailing your arms and hitting (no matter how hard) two players back to back.

Also, Sanchez is not a striker for a reason, sheesh that guy missed some opportunities. And Paredes, I don't even want to talk about!

24. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Chile reached the Round of 16 in 1998?

25. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Yes we did. With 3 draws! :D

Chile 2-2 Italy
    Chile 1-1 Austria
    Chile 1-1 Cameroon

I think those were the results if memory does not fail me...

I hope Chile score all the goals they missed against Honduras and Switzerland on the Spanish team...they will put men forwards and will leave spaces...at least it should keep the goal difference tight if we loose 3-2.