Match 31: Chile-Switzerland:: Post Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Spain, Switzerland, Honduras, Chile' started by Pichi, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ----------------------------------------------

Chile 1::0 Switzerland

1-0 M. Gonzalez 75'

This thread is neutral and strictly moderated.

Please take strongly partisan discussion to the
    team boards or to the World Rivalry board.

----------------------------------------------
    No Flames - No Trolls
    ----------------------------------------------​

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Ah, what the hell, let's get a little controversy:

MoTM: Khalil Al-Ghamdi

3. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Well deserved victory for Chile. Game was hampered by the card happy ref though (2nd half he was better to be fair).

4. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I'm not gonna lie, I had like 5 heart attacks during those last 5 mins. Paredes, what in gods name were you thinking?! I'd like to say it was bad luck, but what he did has no excuse!

5. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    He was card happy, but it went both ways. This is the way it should be if a ref is card happy.

6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Is Chile always this profligate in front of goal?

7. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ VIVA CHILE !!!!!!!, .....Mierd....

:eek: :cool: :)

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Both Chile and Switzerland had incredible... misses!!!

9. ridv34

ridv34 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It's been hard getting a replacement for Suazo (top goal scorer in CONMEBOL qualifiers). He wasn't able to do much today since he's coming out of his injury. Hopefully, he will be in shape for Spain, cause we're really gonna need him!

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No. Just go on Youtube and type in "Humberto Suazo", since you probably have not heard of him.

Cheers! ;)

11. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Gano Chile concha tu madre!!!!!!!!!

On a side note, we can't miss all those opportunities.

And like I been saying for months now Valdivia >>>>>>>>>>>>> Matiaz Fernandez!

At least now Bielsa is forced not to start valdivia next game since mati got 2 yellows!

12. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If I were a Chilean fan, I would not be happy right now. Up a man for 2/3rds of the match and only got one goal. They are only +2 in goals, with Spain ahead. They lose against Spain and they are very likely going home.

13. Nexuus9

Nexuus9 New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Another fun game today. Congratulations to Chile.

14. zant

zant Member

Sep 7, 2009
    trikala,greece
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :mad: I hope that chile won't regret in the end those unbelievable misses in both matches.By the way, mati is not even half of what player valdivia is.

15. jpAustria

jpAustria New Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Still a long way for Chile into the next round i think.....

16. dxclaudio

dxclaudio Member

Aug 19, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    But why you think we're going to loose against them? The games need to be played. There aren't any gimmies in the WC. I know you already saw how Switzerland took care of Spain the first game.

We are happy though we understand our finishing has been horrible. but still optimistic about our game against spain.

17. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chile are in serious trouble with yellow cards.
    Carmona and Frernandez miss game vs Chile.
    Ponce, Suazo, Medel, Valdivia are all at risk of missing round of 16 if they get yellow vs Spain.

18. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Is this CONMEBOL run the most impressive ever by any confederation since the start of the modern World Cups (1986, no second group round)?

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Now a little more calm, I can`t say how much I suffered through this game. Of course, my congratulations to my team, for giving us another motive of joy and pleasure and for writing and improved history on our team, on behalf on World cup matches.:cool:

Switzerland was a very tough rival, if it the referee probably wouldn`t have showed the red card to the swiss player, I don`t think we would be celebrating as we are. Honestly, I think that the referee exagerated the punishment, a yellow card was all the player deserved, since the fault wasn`t so big, although existed. A draw for the match, would have been probably the most fair result. Luck was this time on our side. Boy....., what a hard and tough defence. They never, through out the whole game lost concentration. My congratulation to the Swiss team, who played great too. They also deserve to be in the next round, together with us. :cool:

21. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I guess we'll know in a couple of hours, if Spain defeats Honduras by at least 2 goals, then they will then have no choice but to defeat Chile and finish ahead of La Roja in the standings and wait to see what happens in the Switzerland-Honduras match. There is good reason to believe that this group could end up in a 3 way tie at the top and GD will come into play, and that is where Chile may pay the price for not scoring more against Honduras in the first match and against the Swiss.

Obviously if Spain doesn't win today then Chile is through to the KO stage and Fridays match with Spain will only decide if Chile wins the group or finishes second and has a possible KO round match with Brazil.

22. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Great win by "la Roja," even though it should have been by a much higher difference. In addition, the subs that Bielsa brought into the game in the second half, they were all involved in the goal. Valdivia started the pass, Paredes centered the ball for Mark Gonzalez who put it into the net. On the other hand, I think the Switzerland team really did not do much on this game, besides defending with two lines of 4. Afther Behrami was sent off with a straigt red card after elbowing Vidal in the face, they even closed the gap more, by bringing in Behrami instead of Frei.

Finally, for the game against Spain we will not be able to use Fernandez and Carmona. I think, Valdivia and Estrada should start instead of them.:):):)

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Chile needs to avoid Brazil in the R16 at all costs.

24. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
  25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with the bolded part since Chile were constantly on the attack and were more inventive that Spain. But, had there been no red, I think the match would have ended even.

Otherwise, I agree fully with your post.