Match 27: Slovakia - Paraguay :: Pre-match Discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Italy, Paraguay, New Zealand, Slovakia' started by CIA, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

This is the pre-match thread. Please discuss the forthcoming event in this thread. The other mods and I will edit this post/thread and as more match details are revealed.

Also let's remember that threads close at #500 posts.

Date and Time:
    June 20, 2010
    13:30 (UTC+2)

Venue:
    Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein

2. chill-it

chill-it New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For me this is a key game in the group round.

There are a few groups which have an obvious winner and then an underdog and then 2 what looks like evenly matched teams.

Win this game and go through to probably play Holland.

Lose go home.

Draw and then look to either try and get goals vs NZ or defend for a draw vs Italy.

A great hidden gem of a game in my opinion

3. Stric_Matic

Stric_Matic Member

Slovenia
    Jan 26, 2010
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I think Paraguay are favorites to win this one. They have more individual quality, performed well in tough South American qualifiers and have loads of experience from previous World cups.

Slovakia may have won their group, but they were well beaten twice by 2nd placed Slovenia (1-2 away and 0-2 at home) but managed to win a tremendous amount of points from games against the Czechs and Poles (3 wins and 1 draw) who were both subpar and ravaged by problems.
    Yet, at least from the highlights I saw, they were outplayed by the Czechs in both games and by the Poles in the last game, but managed to somehow get 7 points out of those 3 games.

To make it short, I question Slovakia's capabilities and they also have 0 big tournament experience. Gettin lots of points from mediocre performances is a quality of its own, but usually those sort of runs of luck tend to end eventually, only big teams can afford that in the long run...

4. j710

j710 New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    If Paraguay lose to Italy, this will be a huge match which I think Paraguay are very capable of winning.

5. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I think Paraguay are favorites to win this game, but I think this game can easily be a draw, if anything as Slovakia are too much of a hardened team mentally and they have the distance to go that extra mile, as Slovakia remind me too much of Czech Republic as they are a team who teams should be very weary of, and not want to face. As Slovakia have such stars like Vladimir Weiss III, Robert Vittek, Martin Srktel, etc., and Holosko, so I see them easily drawing with Paraguay since they will be missing one of their stars Cabanas who will be out with an injury

6. richnyc

richnyc New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovakia
    Also remember, it's gonna be cold in Bloemfontein which is a bit of an advantage for Slovaks... I think;)

7. rafikben

rafikben New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    slovakia is going to win

8. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I'll be really honest here, both of these teams on paper are evenly matched when you really think about it, so this is a tough prediction here that I am going to have to make, but I see the Slovaks barely beating Paraguay by a score of 1-0, as Slovakia is more organized at their backline than Paraguay is, and Slovaks are too tight on defence, and have more of a scoring punch up front with Vladimir Weiss, Robert Vittek, and Marek Hamsik, all Paraguay has is Lucas Barrios and Roque Santa Cruz, plus Paraguay's goalie Villar is a small guy, and I think Slovakia can capitalize off of that, as they have tall players

9. richnyc

richnyc New Member

Jun 7, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovakia
    Now, after the draw to NZ, Slovakia better wake up... Weiss played good but Hamsik was nowhere to be found... They had chances but weren't converting...

Still, I think this one will be close. 1:1 or 1:0 either way. Have no idea who will win this one. I obviously want Slovakia to win but after today's game with NZ, I'm not sure.

10. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Evenly matched, seriously? lol

11. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Possible Paraguay lineup for this game.

---------------------Villar----------------------

-----Veron-----Alcaraz-----Da Silva-----Morel---

-------Vera---------Riveros-------V. Caceres----

-------Barrios-------Santa Cruz-------Valdez-------

12. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Why didn't Roque start the 1st game anyways?

I expect big things out of him from here out.