Match 24 | Australia vs Ghana | 19.06.10 | Pre/During/Post Match Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Germany, Australia, Serbia, Ghana' started by hbk4894, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Re: 19 June 2010 Australia vs Ghana Pre/During/Post Match Discussion

If you watch the replay he is actually trying to get his chest in front of the ball and move his arm in close/ away from the ball. his hand never went close to being above the waist and his arm was never what you would call outstretched.

There is no way it was deliberate.

That being said, I would be pretty pissed if I was from Ghana and it wasn't a penalty. IMO there needs to be discretion allowed so that a penalty can be awarded, but if not deliberate then no red card. Until FIFA change the rule/ wording of the rule though there will always be controversy.

2. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Your right. He was trying to get his chest in front of the ball. To do that he had to move his arm towards the ball as well. However, he failed to chest the ball, and by result, deliberately handled the ball because he moved both his arm and chest towards the ball.

3. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Sure, most football fans know this, but I thought the point was to come up with some concrete reasons why this should and shouldn't have been given. Do referees have an different definition of deliberate from anyone else then? And is this written down somewhere, or up to interpretation by each ref? In which case one would hope they would use common sense.

4. GhanaFan

GhanaFan Red Card

Jun 19, 2010

What this boils down to is that Kewell's arm PREVENTED a sure goal for Ghana. He should have kept his hands to himself (i.e. behind his back). He didn't hence the ref had to call the penalty. You can ask whether the red was harsh or not, but it was a clear DOGSO and the ref had no choice.

This call isn't even in the slightest controversial. If you want to hate on anyone hate on the rulebook.

5. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

Obviously, you didn't follow the discussions at all.

The rule book says:
    1) Only if it's deliberate is it a foul.
    2) If a foul prevents a goal, it's a red card.

So it's either a foul, in that case it also has to be a red, or if it's not deliberate, it's neither, regardless of whether it prevented a goal or not.

6. GhanaFan

GhanaFan Red Card

Jun 19, 2010

Arm away from body = deliberate. End of story. There was only one call that the referee could make and he made the right one.

There is a reason why defenders hold their arms behind their backs when defending a corner and protecting the posts.

Go to the referee thread if you don't believe me.

7. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

So your interpretation of deliberate contact is that he failed to move his arm away in time? Of course we would need to know if he had enough time to react.

I agree that the rule is rubbish, but mostly as it assumes that a ref can determine if an action is deliberate or not (which he can't, unless he can read minds). It would have been much better to specify the effective criteria like "hand to ball" etc explicitly.

8. GhanaFan

GhanaFan Red Card

Jun 19, 2010

No. The arm should have never been extended in the first place. The place of the arm is behind his back or on his crotch. Not out wide as to make himself as big as possible.

Having the arm away from the body is DELIBERATE. Hence any ball that hits the arm causes a DELIBERATE HANDBALL.

Wow... unbelievable people are still trying to debate one of the most obvious calls in World Cup history.

9. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You are underestimating what is deemed deliberate. Your hands should be by your sides or behind your back. Anything above your waist is a red card, or moving your hand towards the ball.

A handball call is by definition "deliberate" and if you stop a ball going into the net it's a instant red card in 99% of cases.

10. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

The arm wasn't swinging somewhere up in the air, but in a very natural position, close to his body, and it wasn't moving towards the ball.

No PK in my book.

11. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It stopped the ball going into the net! How is that a natural position.

12. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

I know that in most cases it's a PK+red card. But I actually think that the rules don't support that.

I think the rules should actually be changed: If a clear goal is prevented but obviously not deliberately, it should be a PK without any card.

But as the rules are now, it's neither in this case.

13. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart

The arm was pointing down, that's a natural position for a field player's arm.

14. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Watch it again his arm is out stretched, blocking the goal.

If it was by his side it would have hit his body too.

15. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

I also thought his arm was next to his body. We need some pictures here.

More importantly, there doesn't seem to be an agreement about what deliberate really means. Clearly, referees don't use the common English definition for it. And there is also some disagreement in the refereeing thread. I felt that many people thought the rules made the referee make this call (against common sense), although when you read the rules it's really the interpretation of the rules which is to blame. I am surprised that the referees are happy to work with this mess.

In the end of the day, these debated decisions make the game more interesting (although less fair) so I can live with them.

16. TheBoss84

TheBoss84 Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Germany

In my opinion it was a penalty, because his arm stopped the ball from going in and altered its trajectory. It wasnt however a deliberate handball like for example Vidic or Lukovic against Germany and Ghana. Vidic should have gotten red. In this case a yellow would have sufficed.

17. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

All handballs are by definition called deliberate. So it's a red card.

18. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Read the thread.

19. GhanaFan

GhanaFan Red Card

Jun 19, 2010

I don't really care if it's a red card offence or not. Fact is Ghana were denied a goal thanks to a HANDBALL. There is no going around it - Ghana deserved the goal. Whether or not Kewell should have been sent off is secondary. When push comes to shove Ghana deserved to score and so they did.

20. arthur d

arthur d Member

Oct 17, 2004
    Cambridge England

Never mind. Let's hope for a good game (without controversial refereeing) when Ghana meet Germany!

21. iheartbeer

iheartbeer Member

Jun 8, 2007
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I think Australia would have won that match if they didn't receive a red card

22. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well the score would have been 1-1 deservedly. Whether Australia would have scored a winner we will never know.

23. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya

Cross posted from the Australia forum, because I'm too shattered to write something original for this thread:

The match... well, I was very impressed with how we played. After the Germany match, watching our defence execute such a tight organised game was nothing short of a joy. Holman, after years of being maligned, continues to be a revelation. He is one of the few rays of light in the current side and he fully deserves to savour the experience of sticking it to his critics - myself included.

A relatively minor quibble but I was a bit annoyed with a couple of late changes - taking Bresc, Wilkshire and Holman off when they were clearly our best players on park seemed overly conservative. Bringing on Ruka and Chippers was great but I would have changed players like Carney and gone all out on the offensive for that second goal. Realistically this match is two points lost rather than a point gained - a draw might save us some face but unless something very unusual happens that's the nail in the coffin for our campaign.

Many would probably disagree but I would have rather gone down 2-1 or 3-1 whilst throwing everything at the Ghanians for the win. Perhaps that is why I am not being paid seven figures a year to coach an international side.

On the refereeing - I will repost what I posted elsewhere and not dwell on it. Rosetti is a good referee and overall he had a decent enough match - just today, the cards didn't fall our way on a couple of crucial decisions (pun intended).

24. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

I am absolutely livid this morning. Australia has been robbed yet again. 3 matches in a row at the world cup and every decision goes against Australia. Even the Croatia game at the last world cup the Croatian had to receive 3 yellow cards to get a red as well as Viduka being tackled in the penalty box and no call. Not forgetting the dodgy goal Japan scored against Australia in the first game of the 06 World Cup as well where the Japan player ran straight into Schwarzer jumping for the ball and no call.

I AM CONVINCED FIFA HATES AUSTRALIA AND DOESN'T WANT THEM TO DO WELL THIS IS ********ING BULLSHIT ******** YOU BLATTER YOU PIECE OF ********ING SHIT

25. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]