Match 19 - POR : NED - RIZZOLI (ITA)

Discussion in 'Euro 2012: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 15, 2012.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday, 17 June - Kharkiv - 2:45 EST
    Portugal : Netherlands
    Referee: Nicola RIZZOLI (ITA)
    Assistant Referee 1: Renato Faverani (ITA)
    Assistant Referee 2: Andrea Stefani (ITA)
    Additional Assistant Referee 1: Gianluca Rocchi (ITA)
    Additional Assistant Referee 2: Paolo Tagliavento (ITA)
    Fourth Official: Martin Atkinson (ENG)
    Reserve Assistant Referee: Mike Mullarkey (ENG)
    UEFA Delegate: Ainar Leppänen (EST)
    UEFA Referee Observer: David Elleray (ENG)

This thread is for all pre-, play-by-play, and post-match discussion of the referee and other officials on the match. Only news and analysis or other facts/information related to the referees and the officiating should be posted here. This is not a team or rivalry thread and will be heavily moderated to ensure it remains that way. Please read the stickied thread at the top of this forum if you have further questions. Thank you.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An absolutely infamous match from 2006, with so much to play for and so much to prove. Have to say I'm looking forward to this one more than any thus far. Will either be a total letdown (if Germany goes up early and Portugal knows what they need to do) or a match for the ages, I think. Either way, a massive test for a massive referee. Glad he's on this one--he wasn't at his best in the last game, but right now I'd rate him in the upper echelon for body of work.

3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Any one know what whistle Rizzoli uses?

4. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    All you tricky corner junkies, start the essays!

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Should have been a caution for handling to prevent the defense from playing the ball and a foul going out.
    Absolutely horrendous by that AR.
    That kick could not have been more deliberate.

6. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure looked like that corner was put into play and then handled. netherlands didn't fall for the trick corner and they bailed themselves out by 'switching' kickers.

7. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Fox 40 Classic
    /wild guess

8. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    That?s what I thought. But it doesn't sound anything like FOX 40. Also there is a strap on the whistle that doesn't look anything like what comes with FOX 40.

9. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Maybe he changed the strap to something he likes more?

10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Is there something in the water at these Euros or do the referees' whistle have some kind of hypnotic tone that makes the players behave? Compare it to what we saw yesterday in MLS. It's stunning. These are the biggest games of these players' careers and they are behaving like choir boys, relatively of course.

Euro refs can't be that better than MLS refs.

11. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good yellow. Not a red.

12. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Absolutely, the players surrounded him but they quickly gained control of themselves and talked to the referee instead of yelled. Again much different than the MLS.

13. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    Much different than the typical La Liga, EPL, Serie A.....

14. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    In presence I believe they are. They command respect and act like they deserve to be there. Just my opinion but players in the MLS attack referees more because they see that they're able to.

Just right there that last play, foul against Portugal, Sneijder shoves the player down and the referee gets to deal with just the two of them. Sneijder picks him up and they get on with it. MLS game, one shove and 10 guys around shoving eachother immediately.

15. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I watch a lot of EPL and La Liga, the players are well behaved more often than not.

Moreover the attitude to players getting out of control is different, it's less the referees fault and more the players and teams fault. Referees in the US are supposed to be like dictators or something controlling everyones reaction to everything. If someone gets out of control it's considered the referees fault, which is just daft.

16. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its not a fair comparison. These are the single best referees that 12 European nations have to offer.

You can't compare Italy's best referee to MLS's tenth best.

You can compare Italy's tenth best referee vs MLS's tenth best.

17. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    Red pointed out they can't be That much better. No it's not fair, but we should always strive to lessen the gap and seeing MLS games yesterday versus these games today it just makes the comparison more stark. We're just trying to identify where we can improve ourselves in our own games in the end.

I mean it's not like these top refs have superior DNA, we can do this!

18. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    That's ridiculous.
    If a team is screaming for you to stop play because their player is down, you should stop play the moment they get the ball. They shouldn't get a chance on goal after screaming at you like that.

19. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I was gonna say this is a great example why you shouldn't stop play and you should let the teams figure it out. Play went from one side of the field to the other and they got a chance on goal, let them play.

20. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Did you see Pepe momentarily stop his grand mal seizure to make certain the CR was looking at him?

21. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I disagree.
    If the do not put the ball out of play when they gain possession, it is pretty good evidence that they were attempting to deceive you as to the severity of the player's injury.

22. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I was wondering about offside but it wasn't...but other than that the AR was WAY behind. You should be faster at this top level, at least recognize they're breaking.

23. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    He was on. But the AR was guessing.....

ColoradoRef repped this.
  24. SimpleGame6

SimpleGame6 Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    So what they're always gonna try to deceive you, ignore them.

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I don't ignore cheating.
    Attempting to deceive is cheating.